U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2019, 04:09 PM

1,457 posts, read 910,386 times

Advertisements

I prefer smaller, more intimate venues, because the tickets are usually a lot cheaper and I can actually watch the band (not on a screen) without paying big money to be closer. However, it helps that most of the bands I enjoy are not as well-known. For me, there's something amazing about the energy of a live set - it can't be replicated in a car or at home.

I will never spend hundreds of dollars per ticket; no band/artist is worth that much to me. That's only justifiable for a multi-day festival with lots of performers. Otherwise, the shows I typically go to range from around $10-30 each, with a rare splurge to the $60ish area.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2019, 04:27 PM

2,269 posts, read 1,375,534 times
As we’ve gotten older, my wife and I both like seeing the live performances. We have very narrow tastes though, basically Nightwish mainly and some Ayreon. I appreciate the energy, the slight variations and tweaks in different performances, the music seems to have more energy and life to it and more dynamic range. However, for the most part, being 71 and 72, we are just as content seeing the BluRay disks of the concerts on our home theater system (almost as loud!).

We did attend the Nightwish concert at the Lyric Theater in Baltimore on their last world tour. We got VIP tickets and our picture taken with the band, Ha! Only time in my life I’ve ever done anything like that but they are a really interesting group of people that I actually admire and I don’t admire very many people.

Old 12-10-2019, 04:30 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,047,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
In classical music concerts you are hearing the music from the instruments and not through electronics. That makes classical concerts 100 times better than recordings right there.
Plus you're surrounded by a better class of people.

Old 12-10-2019, 04:34 PM

18,143 posts, read 6,684,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clawsondude View Post
My post assumes it is a band that actually plays live

I love attending concerts for several reasons. While the band may play songs I've heard many times, it's exciting for me to hear them recreate them live and in the moment. It isn't the same exact performance I've heard at home, I'm watching a unique performance of that song. Maybe the band will decide to play it differently, or maybe the lead guitarist will improvise and take an extended solo. Sometimes you hear notes flubbed here and there or a wrong lyric which I enjoy. Maybe the band will play a song they rarely put in their live set and you'll be there to see it.

There is also a social component. It's fun to see a band you love and be around others who feel the same way. It's a shared experience and there is a real energy being there live.

I am a huge fan of live music. A live concert is the closest thing I've ever had to a religious experience. To me music is the only real magic that exists on Earth.
Agree on ALL. I LOVE live music.

Old 12-10-2019, 04:35 PM

3,851 posts, read 2,324,311 times
I love concerts! The music, the energy, the fun... I have seen SO many musicians in concerts and some more than once. Prince is my favorite, by far!

Old 12-10-2019, 04:37 PM

14,398 posts, read 9,585,267 times
I’ve played in rock bands so my view might be different than others.

I like concerts or other live performances to see and hear acts live that I respect, and also groups or acts that do justice to their recordings.

I’ve seen Rush over the years a few times and it appeals to the musician in me. They worked hard to recreate the recorded music live, which is hard to do.

I also saw Van Halen a dozen or so years ago which in my opinion fell really short. So while it was entertainment, I didn’t enjoy the experience musically as much.

The best experiences for me over the past 30 or so years were seeing bands in clubs, either on the way up or retro acts on the way down.

Having said that I’ll probably see the Def Leppard tour next year, just to see some bands I’ve never seen live before.

Old 12-10-2019, 04:38 PM

1,413 posts, read 1,133,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
Plus you're surrounded by a better class of people.
I enjoy attending both the symphony and rock concerts. I wouldn’t want to spend time around a person with this attitude at either one.

Old 12-10-2019, 04:39 PM

14,398 posts, read 9,585,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
As we’ve gotten older, my wife and I both like seeing the live performances. We have very narrow tastes though, basically Nightwish mainly and some Ayreon. I appreciate the energy, the slight variations and tweaks in different performances, the music seems to have more energy and life to it and more dynamic range. However, for the most part, being 71 and 72, we are just as content seeing the BluRay disks of the concerts on our home theater system (almost as loud!).

We did attend the Nightwish concert at the Lyric Theater in Baltimore on their last world tour. We got VIP tickets and our picture taken with the band, Ha! Only time in my life I’ve ever done anything like that but they are a really interesting group of people that I actually admire and I don’t admire very many people.
Nightwish would be interesting, especially given the vocal differences in their lead singers over the years.

Old 12-10-2019, 04:42 PM

1,413 posts, read 1,133,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I’ve played in rock bands so my view might be different than others.

I like concerts or other live performances to see and hear acts live that I respect, and also groups or acts that do justice to their recordings.

I’ve seen Rush over the years a few times and it appeals to the musician in me. They worked hard to recreate the recorded music live, which is hard to do.

I also saw Van Halen a dozen or so years ago which in my opinion fell really short. So while it was entertainment, I didn’t enjoy the experience musically as much.

The best experiences for me over the past 30 or so years were seeing bands in clubs, either on the way up or retro acts on the way down.

Having said that I’ll probably see the Def Leppard tour next year, just to see some bands I’ve never seen live before.
I’ve also played in bands. There is absolutely nothing on Earth that compares to the feeling of performing live. I was never under any illusion that I would “make it” as a musician, it was just for enjoyment. I have two young kids so I don’t really have the time to do it these days. You’d better believe that when they are older I want to get out there and find and old man bar band to play in!

Old 12-10-2019, 04:50 PM

7,524 posts, read 4,588,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post

I feel like people think I’m weird when I say I don’t care for concerts.
I don't think you are weird. I find them way too loud. And--just not into concerts. Have no interest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts