U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2019, 09:16 AM

5,915 posts, read 2,203,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
Plus you're surrounded by a better class of people.
Old people?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2019, 09:27 AM

4,428 posts, read 2,252,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
What do people like about them? I know of people paying $300++ for a ticket. Celebrity worship?

I couldn’t care less about seeing the actual celebrity/performer in person. I certainly wouldn’t want to stand in a crowd watching them on a big screen.

If I like a song - I just want to HEAR the damn song! And after I hear it about 100 times I need my distance...might enjoy it only occasionally if it pops on the radio.

I feel like people think I’m weird when I say I don’t care for concerts.
The sound. You're never going to replicate the sound of a show elsewhere. If you have enough money you can make it loud, but you're never going to shake a building that takes up an entire block. At a concert, you feel the music in a way that you cannot elsewhere.

The performance. There's the banter between songs, sometimes during songs, of a singer who knows how to connect with the audience. Maybe it's a story of the writing of the song, or an anecdote about that time they performed it in Dallas during the '80s and something amusing happened, or just an insight to what the song's about. There's the infectious joy when you see people on stage who love what they're doing. And there's the multi-media aspect of the performance, the visuals. There are songs I don't really like alone, but the video adds something that I love. Seeing someone live? Same things.

It's about what's not on an album. Maybe it's Springsteen doing Purple Rain the evening after the news of Prince's death broke, or Sting doing a rearranged version of a classic Police song, or Peter Gabriel covering a track by The Velvet Underground.

It's the community. There's something about sharing an experience. In U2's early days, the band would close shows with the short song 40, the lyrics partly taken from the Psalm 40. During what on the album is the chorus fade-out, Bono stands his mic and leaves the stage, the audience continuing the singing while the rest of the band keeps playing the music. After a couple of minutes, Adam Clayton puts down his guitar (he and Edge would switch instruments for this song) and leaves, with just the rhythm section left while the audience continues to sing. Eventually, Edge puts down the bass and leaves. Just the audience and Mullen on drums remain. Finally, he leaves; the music continues, entirely from the crowd. That's sharing the experience, with the other attendees and with the band itself.

You don't like concerts? All right. We all have different tastes. But are you that baffled by the tastes of others just because you don't share them?

As for $300 for a ticket... so what? There are people in the world who scrape by on a few dollars a day, and who cannot imagine plunking down $50 for a ribeye main course and a cocktail, or $500 on a television. Does that mean you or I shouldn't spend our money on those things? So it is with a concert ticket.

Old 12-11-2019, 09:28 AM

14,044 posts, read 4,822,115 times
I enjoy live concerts for their energy level and the live acoustics. Plus the artists can sometimes change things up a bit and give you a unique version of a favorite song.

Old 12-11-2019, 09:42 AM

4,278 posts, read 1,976,474 times
If you know where to look there are clubs and theaters that seat a couple hundred people that have great artists that like to play there.
At Yoshi’s we normally rest our drinks on the stage and have even interacted with the bands.
Once the “Spinners” handed my wife the mike so she could sing.
I love seeing older artists that I grew up with playing at very small venues.
Saw Crosby Stills and Nash at a tennis court.
Arlo Guthrie at a small old movie theater.
Same with Peter Frampton.
Just saw Bob Dylan at a really small place.
Ive seen countless great acts in small night clubs and county fairs.
Oh and one of my friends got to see Johnny Cash play at a house party 20 some odd years ago....lucky duck.
I don’t do big venues unless I can sit in one of the first several rows and I never pay a lot.

Old 12-11-2019, 09:42 AM

46,607 posts, read 58,022,433 times
I have thought this several times at concerts. I haven’t been to one for many years. The last one was a Fleetwood Mac reunion concert (we are of that era). People standing up through the whole thing ruined it for me.

Years ago we went to a Linda Rhonstat concert. She just stood there and sang...not a show. I wished I had just stayed home and played a record.

On the other hand, back in the day, we went to an outdoor venue with our lawn chairs and wine and really enjoyed them. James Taylor, Barry Manalow, The Fifth Dimension....they were great.

I don’t think you could pay me to go to one now, with a few exceptions.

Old 12-11-2019, 10:47 AM

23,726 posts, read 9,950,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
What do people like about them? I know of people paying $300++ for a ticket. Celebrity worship?

I couldn’t care less about seeing the actual celebrity/performer in person. I certainly wouldn’t want to stand in a crowd watching them on a big screen.

If I like a song - I just want to HEAR the damn song! And after I hear it about 100 times I need my distance...might enjoy it only occasionally if it pops on the radio.

I feel like people think I’m weird when I say I don’t care for concerts.

Why anyone would pay a fortune to attend a massive stadium event r festival is beyone me.

You can hear some fairly decent bands in smaller venues.

Festivals are well over rated and usuaslly involve paying a fortune to sleep in a tent in a muddy field, and there are so many people you don't get to see much in relation to the msain stage.

There are also charming traditions such as throwing bottles of urine in to the crowd and bands on stage.

Reading Festival: The strange tradition of throwing bottles of urine - BBC newsbeat

Old 12-11-2019, 11:37 AM

5,822 posts, read 4,016,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clawsondude View Post
My apologies, I thought the person who posted the original comment was the same one who applied to me.

And yes, a rock concert will (rightfully) be a lot rowdier than a performance of Vivaldi. It's the nature of the music.

Also, I am not the obnoxious concert goer that you suggested I am.
The reference to woo guy was a joke - put your claws back in! We're cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
You had a not-so-great experience at a concert in 1993 and then didn't go to another concert for seventeen years. Just a semi-educated guess, but I feel like your obnoxiousness tolerance might be on the low end of the spectrum.
You are correct. I don't drink, so people who get so hammered that they disturb others is kind of beyond my comprehension, plus I can't see how they are even enjoying anything.

Also, married, house, divorced, loss of jobs, jobs dealing with the public, other hobbies... My priorities had changed a bit

I know a musician who does not like to go to shows either, simply because he wants to sit and enjoy listening to the music instead of wishing he could bash heads in legally.

There are performers who will stop a performance tell people to be quiet - it disturbs them too. I had a link but deleted it due to foul language in the link itself. I'm sure you can google it, it was "b list musicians tell fans to....."

Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
Old people?
haha there are a lot of old people at concerts these days - including myself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
I enjoy live concerts for their energy level and the live acoustics. Plus the artists can sometimes change things up a bit and give you a unique version of a favorite song.
Even better are songs that haven't made it to production yet!

Old 12-11-2019, 01:22 PM

3,078 posts, read 2,137,412 times
I used to do a lot of concert photography at smaller venues in Seattle. I also used to shoot a Midwest music festival. I LOVE music. Live music is better, much better. You can connect to the band, especially if you are at the rails. I know many musicians and they love to see the energy of the audience: singing along, dancing, laughing. You can put your worries out of mind for a few hours and just enjoy the experience.

Old 12-11-2019, 03:09 PM

18,897 posts, read 12,454,406 times
So many of the bands I like, my whole relationship with them is very much about their shows. I love performance art acts that do wild and over the top things live. And secondly, I'm very likely to try (and usually succeed) in befriending the musicians themselves. If they are distant from their fans, like a super famous arena act, then I'm not as likely to be that into them, or to feel driven to support them.

I've seen GWAR live 37 times. Other acts I have really enjoyed: Iron Maiden, March Fourth Marching Band, Primus, Beats Antique, Super Geek League (Seattle locals), Hogscraper (defunct, formerly Cincinnati area locals), Voltaire. There are others but I can't remember.

I'm feeling very fortunate that this upcoming weekend I'll get to see Abney Park not once but twice, I wasn't sure I'd ever get to see them live and I've heard they put on an incredible show.

I have never spent hundreds on a single ticket, but I've spent thousands on travel before. I once had a plan to see GWAR play in a city I'd never before visited, every time they toured. Pulled that off for a few years, but then couldn't afford it anymore. But what I do NOT do, is bother to go see a band that just stands there and plays. That was Megadeth when they opened for Iron Maiden some years back, they just stood there in front of screens. Energetically speaking they were utter and complete duds, despite the fact that they played every song I can remember liking when I was a teenager. And they played clips from films and tv shows, of every time Megadeth had ever been mentioned by anyone ever, including Wayne's World II. It was like they were saying, "See? See?? We were relevant once!" Horrible.

The concerts I go to are EXPERIENCES. There's got to be something more than what you could get watching Youtube videos plus standing in a crowd of sweaty people. Something that makes the hairs stand up on your arms when you remember it years later, something that makes you feel amazing to be able to say, "I was there."

Old 12-11-2019, 03:12 PM

4,140 posts, read 4,221,692 times
I enjoy live music but not super large concerts. So, if a performer I like is doing a small venue, I'm in. If it's a huge concert venue, I'll pass. Recently saw a band I like, Old Crow Medicine Show, at a small venue in Eureka Springs, Ark. The energy between the band and the audience made it a very memorable time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts