Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2019, 11:17 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,693,060 times

Advertisements

Big screen?

I occasionally go to live concerts because there is a kind of synergy between the audience and the musicians. The sound is all-encompassing, and even though a top audio system sounds excellent and certainly “cleaner,” it lacks that extra ingredient only live performances can generate.

Nothing whatsoever to do with worshipping the performers. Puh-leeze. If the price is too high I just don’t go. Like any other expenditure, it depends how valuable seeing and hearing that concert is to me. You might not be willing to pay $300 to see anybody perform, but I would consider it worthwhile for some extraordinary artists, though so far I haven’t done so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2019, 11:33 AM

23,265 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Is this a serious question?

Old 12-13-2019, 11:47 AM

4,466 posts, read 1,604,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
Of course there are downsides to having been in the third row of a Black Sabbath concert. Now that I am becoming an old creaker I can't hear s***! But I would go back and do it again without a doubt.
There is that too

My father was in a band from the time he was 14 (playing with his dad at the time) until a few years after I was born (he was 31 when I was born), and his hearing is completely shot. Not a big band, mind you, but a local one that did mostly Van Halen covers and things like that, but had some original stuff as well. Funny story, he actually got asked to be the guitarist for Hank Williams Jr. at one point in the 70's, and turned it down. He had showed up at one of my dad's shows and liked his playing. His reason for turning it down? Country music sucks. ... He also thought that the band could still make it big. Little off topic, but I've always thought that was funny!

Old 12-13-2019, 11:55 AM

1,543 posts, read 1,530,845 times
I'm not the biggest music lover, but I am a lover of concerts, especially outdoor concerts. If I can get there early, I try to get near the floor speakers, the bass speakers, or some type of speaker. I love for the music to reverberate throughout my body! I love feeling the energy, being in the midst of a frantic crowd in concert and in step with the beat, the mood, the lights, and the bands! It's my escape from the routine of being a normal regular guy.

Old 12-13-2019, 03:12 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,553,045 times
As I’m sure others have pointed out, music found on digital platforms or even CDs are high quality and are likely better than a live singer. I don’t go to many concerts, but at least personally, I’ve found live music to be disappointing.

Going to concerts or seeing live performances is all about the experience. One is mostly there with their friends or family, and there’s something to be said about enjoying music with like-minded individuals.

Now there are some groups or styles of music that are probably better in concert. I would think something like the Grateful Dead or classical music (two things that aren’t ordinarily grouped together) are probably enjoyed more in concert. Something like Taylor Swift or The Beatles are honestly probably better listening with a good pair of headphones.

Old 12-13-2019, 03:35 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,017,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Nothing wrong with asking why, right? I am truly fascinated by the things humans seem to enjoy and be passionate about.

How do they do things on your planet?

Old 12-13-2019, 07:38 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,909,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Bob Seger for me as well in October!
We saw Seger in May. That man was just having FUN on stage and it showed through the entire concert.

What a good time that evening was.

Old 12-13-2019, 07:45 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,909,043 times
Actually, the whole thread is kind of silly. Questioning how people spend their discretionary dollars is like asking why people eat potatoes instead of corn with a steak.

Concerts allow people to see their choice of music performed live, hear it live, and see the artists display their talents. Some people like to celebrate hearing music in the company of other fans. Some people enjoy a night out away from the kids. I'm sure there's plenty of reasons.

Old 12-13-2019, 11:45 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,929,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Is this a serious question?
Yes. Best I can make of it is that some people achieve a sort of religious experience (“feeling”) from seeing/hearing live music performed.

It fascinates me.

Old 12-13-2019, 11:48 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,929,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
Actually, the whole thread is kind of silly. Questioning how people spend their discretionary dollars is like asking why people eat potatoes instead of corn with a steak.

Concerts allow people to see their choice of music performed live, hear it live, and see the artists display their talents. Some people like to celebrate hearing music in the company of other fans. Some people enjoy a night out away from the kids. I'm sure there's plenty of reasons.
I’m not questioning people’s spending habits...spend how you want. I’m simply attempting to understand what it is that makes concerts so appealing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts