Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2019, 12:15 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,931,653 times

Advertisements

What do people like about them? I know of people paying $300++ for a ticket. Celebrity worship?

I couldn’t care less about seeing the actual celebrity/performer in person. I certainly wouldn’t want to stand in a crowd watching them on a big screen.

If I like a song - I just want to HEAR the damn song! And after I hear it about 100 times I need my distance...might enjoy it only occasionally if it pops on the radio.

I feel like people think I’m weird when I say I don’t care for concerts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2019, 12:28 PM

1,413 posts, read 1,291,062 times
My post assumes it is a band that actually plays live

I love attending concerts for several reasons. While the band may play songs I've heard many times, it's exciting for me to hear them recreate them live and in the moment. It isn't the same exact performance I've heard at home, I'm watching a unique performance of that song. Maybe the band will decide to play it differently, or maybe the lead guitarist will improvise and take an extended solo. Sometimes you hear notes flubbed here and there or a wrong lyric which I enjoy. Maybe the band will play a song they rarely put in their live set and you'll be there to see it.

There is also a social component. It's fun to see a band you love and be around others who feel the same way. It's a shared experience and there is a real energy being there live.

I am a huge fan of live music. A live concert is the closest thing I've ever had to a religious experience. To me music is the only real magic that exists on Earth.

Last edited by clawsondude; 12-10-2019 at 01:12 PM..

Old 12-10-2019, 12:58 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,021,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
What do people like about them? I know of people paying $300++ for a ticket. Celebrity worship?

I couldn’t care less about seeing the actual celebrity/performer in person. I certainly wouldn’t want to stand in a crowd watching them on a big screen.

If I like a song - I just want to HEAR the damn song! And after I hear it about 100 times I need my distance...might enjoy it only occasionally if it pops on the radio.

Weird for not liking concerts? No.

Weird for not understanding the different people like different things.

You do you.

PS, I don't like concerts too much either, irrespective of the $$.

Old 12-10-2019, 01:03 PM

12,106 posts, read 23,271,144 times
For the same reason not everyone likes the same flavor of ice cream.

Old 12-10-2019, 01:03 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,643,160 times
I'm certainly not rich, but I've paid $300 for a ticket to see Shania Twain in Las Vegas. I've seen her 3 times, twice in Las Vegas (once closer to home), which means I also had to pay for an airplane ticket and 1 night hotel room. Total is around $500 each time. I figure I should go see her before she retires and it's too late.

I'm actually flying back to Las Vegas again tomorrow to see her in concert again. This is definitely the last time as I'm not looking forward to going out of the way to go to the airport (I don't enjoy traveling alone), and I don't feel like paying $500 for a 2-hour concert anymore, considering I've seen her so many times already.

Old 12-10-2019, 01:06 PM

1,406 posts, read 800,631 times
I avoid big arena shows because I hate crowds and I hate spending the ridiculous amounts of money such events usually entail.

I do enjoy going to smaller venues and seeing bands I like play live. I do enjoy watching them play, but I have to admit I also do it at least in part for the photos I can post on Facebook later

Old 12-10-2019, 01:08 PM

130,155 posts, read 12,088,000 times
I enjoy live music & we go to concerts a few times a year, but I only go when the tickets are under $100 each. If you don't like it, don't go.
This year, we saw, Santana, Peter Frampton & then the Commodores. I have decided, that I am no longer going to outdoor concerts, too old for portapotties.

Old 12-10-2019, 01:18 PM

4,362 posts, read 6,530,507 times
I enjoy the experience of "Feeling" the music. Good rock shows are worth the price of admittance. Bands make their money by touring these days as opposed to Albums/CDs like in the old days.

In the last two months - Bob Seger, Heart with Joan Jett, Kansas and Alice Cooper. And I'd do it again....

Old 12-10-2019, 01:22 PM

6,340 posts, read 2,893,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post

In classical music concerts you are hearing the music from the instruments and not through electronics. That makes classical concerts 100 times better than recordings right there.

Old 12-10-2019, 02:34 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,021,108 times
I love going to concerts of bands that I like. I love hearing the music loud, with it thumping against my chest! I like singing along, when the band indicates it's cool. I love the light show, I like seeing the band members themselves, I just like the whole 'liveness' of it.

Celebrity worship? For me, I don't think that's it...it's about good entertainment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts