Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2020, 11:46 AM

19,632 posts, read 12,226,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
Whhaaat?? Albert gets addicted to morphine?
Went through the worst parts of withdrawal, sweating buckets and puking up slimy goo all over while Charles held him down. Yes, it was such a nice show for kids. lol.

They didn't teach about stranger danger though because Laura was always going off into the wilderness with some old guy she didn't know, who of course turn out to be sweet lonely old men, or in one case some kind of mysterious guardian angel type.

Rapists only come around corners in clown masks.

Old 04-08-2020, 05:54 PM

8,070 posts, read 4,745,387 times
Quote:
...and attack the guest star, whom we never have seen before and will never see again. But that's not unique to LHOP.

Old 04-08-2020, 06:12 PM

3,057 posts, read 2,034,410 times
All in The Family was never a laff-riot comedy but the episode that really hit me was when Edith was nearly raped by the nice looking white (fake) police detective on her 50th birthday. Such a great actress.

Old 04-08-2020, 11:00 PM

20,658 posts, read 4,425,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
All in The Family was never a laff-riot comedy but the episode that really hit me was when Edith was nearly raped by the nice looking white (fake) police detective on her 50th birthday. Such a great actress.

I wouldn't say that.

How about when Edith shuts Archie up?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfO5SuhLFz0

Then there's Archie the hero!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e5o1g7NBIA

Archie needed surgery!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCcVRZYnaZo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTu8h7CrXlo

You'll never see a new show with these topics again on tv. At least not heavy disclaimers. The same could be said about Married With Children.

Old 04-08-2020, 11:45 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,169,867 times
All these sitcoms had some messages to tell. I've been watching the Waltons. Lots of messages in those too, even though most are feel good family stories. Right now they're into the pre-war days. The woman from Germany (relative of the Baldwin Sisters) comes back to Virginia, almost catatonic from the things she's seen over there.

Old 04-08-2020, 11:50 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,749,190 times
TV shows that have fun episodes dont have many dark eps

Three's Company
Seinfeld
Jeffersons
The Office
Sanford and Son

Old 04-08-2020, 11:56 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,749,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
Wow!!! I do not remember those episodes, when did they air? And talk about inappropriate laugh tracks
Season 5 of Different Strokes when Pearl was the maid

Old 04-09-2020, 06:22 AM

6,456 posts, read 3,978,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
I actually saw the hooker one a couple of weeks ago! And I do agree with a previous poster how many things slide right over kids heads. Even in song lyrics, some of the 50s-60s songs that my parents had on albums, that we sang as kids.... I hear them now and wonder why my parents didn't hide some of them!
Remember that flap several years ago about Donna Summer's Last Dance when parents were freaking out because it contained the line "'cause when I'm bad, I'm so so horny"?

Yeah, in all my years of hearing that song, I honestly never even heard that part until it became a big deal and I listened to it. I'm sure many people are the same, including kids... a big to-do over nothing, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Went through the worst parts of withdrawal, sweating buckets and puking up slimy goo all over while Charles held him down. Yes, it was such a nice show for kids. lol.

They didn't teach about stranger danger though because Laura was always going off into the wilderness with some old guy she didn't know, who of course turn out to be sweet lonely old men, or in one case some kind of mysterious guardian angel type.

Then again, rapists also don't always come in "stranger" form, so Laura would have had to be careful about a lot of the boys she thought were her friends, too. "So, why were you somewhere alone with your male friend at all, Laura?"

Old 04-09-2020, 02:54 PM

19,632 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Answers View Post
All these sitcoms had some messages to tell. I've been watching the Waltons. Lots of messages in those too, even though most are feel good family stories. Right now they're into the pre-war days. The woman from Germany (relative of the Baldwin Sisters) comes back to Virginia, almost catatonic from the things she's seen over there.
Love the Baldwin sisters, and their Recipe.

Old 04-13-2020, 05:30 PM

268 posts, read 100,527 times
Back to Little House on the Prairie, another real dark and upsetting episode, was when the blind school building caught on fire and Johnathan Garvey's wife Alice and Mary and Adam infant boy which she was carrying and trying to escape out the house with, were caught in the room with the fire blazing and they were burned to death. The whole 2 part episode of this was really upsetting to me when I first saw it as a young teen in the 80s and still now when I see it, it gets to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.