Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2020, 07:09 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,951,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Gen z is more likely to worship one celebrity or another.

I thought this plague was abating but its getting worse.
They have no identity, they don't know who they are, but they want to fit in. How better to do that than to look at someone of a similar age who is quite famous and who has "the look" sorted out? By imitation, they hope that they will be like and viewed as cool by peers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2020, 07:23 PM

9,500 posts, read 2,917,688 times
Quote:
He was a drug addict with propensity to make some music taken from those who came before him.

This worship of such people is a sickness that only grows.

The person that matters in this world is you, and the greatest truths of this world can be found in your own heart.

Elvis and his followers taught people to dissociate themselves with their surroundings and join a mass media craze where all people become a market opportunity.
And he was cute! He didn’t start out on drugs till much later in his career, he definitely had appeal and loved watching him dance while he was singing

Old 10-12-2020, 07:44 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,020,538 times
Well I'm sure the OP's book will make us all see the light.

Old 10-12-2020, 08:10 PM

6,791 posts, read 2,899,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Elvis was not produced. Elvis was one of the most important players in the birth of rock and roll. He became a star because if his talent in songwriting, singing, his unique style in combining R&B with rock. Why do you need to take away from what he contributed to music by implying he was just a face that fit what producers wanted?
Just a slight correction ...Elvis doesn't appear to have written any songs. He is, apparently, given co-writing credit on many songs because his label demanded songwriters give up 50% of the credit before Presley would record it. As far as we know, Elvis didn't write even one song ...none that were recorded by him - or anyone else - anyway.

Old 10-13-2020, 06:28 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,973,291 times
New to this game, care to give a couple for instances?

Old 10-13-2020, 07:19 AM

50,723 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
In a way yes. That said, white America always fears what they dont understand, especially with celebrity. Somehow Boy George wasn't bad in the 1980's when Culture Club was big. Dont get that one.
The 80's was very different than the 50's when Elvis started. Lots of gay celebs out by then. And gay was probably always more accepted in show biz people, race is/was entirely different matter. I have a hard time believing anyone in the 50's didn't know Liberace was gay, he was just as flamboyant as Boy George, perhaps more so.

Old 10-13-2020, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skandalon View Post
The bigger question is, "Why aren't young people glorifying successful people in their local communities?"

Not to mention, young people tend to do what they see their *elders* do. Im 53 and I know plenty of people my age that still talk about sports figures like they walk on water and can do no wrong. It's not just the "youngsters."
And in Ancient Rome, they did the same with gladiators. Again, not new.

Old 10-13-2020, 07:23 AM

Quote:
What a remarkable distortion of my meaning.

I'll say it once more for those in the back:

Celebrity worship has always been terrible, I thought the internet would help defeat this trend in society, but it did the exact opposite.
What made you think that, though?

Old 10-13-2020, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skandalon View Post
The bigger question is, "Why aren't young people glorifying successful people in their local communities?"

Not to mention, young people tend to do what they see their *elders* do. Im 53 and I know plenty of people my age that still talk about sports figures like they walk on water and can do no wrong. It's not just the "youngsters."
Why don't 13 year old girls have posters of their city councilmen on their walls instead of cute young guys that dance and sing?? Why don't young guys think hedge fund managers are as cool as race car drivers? Are you really asking that?? Has there even been a time where they did? I don't think so.

Old 10-13-2020, 07:55 AM

15,507 posts, read 6,427,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
And in Ancient Rome, they did the same with gladiators. Again, not new.
How do you know what people in ancient Rome were doing/thinking?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts