Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think the movie/TV show ideas you have in your head are better than the movies/TV shows that
Yes 14 77.78%
No 4 22.22%
Other 0 0%
Unsure 0 0%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2020, 09:21 AM

724 posts, read 502,552 times

Advertisements

Part of the reason as to why I'm so keen on eventually getting into filmmaking is because ( IMHO ) the ideas I come up with for movies and TV shows are far more interesting than actually existing movies and TV Shows .

In fact the only already existing movies I actually like are the three Dollar films , with no TV shows coming to mind at all , though some ( like Justified ) are kinda halfway decent .

Anyways I'm interested in everyone's take on this .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2020, 10:21 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
No, if my ideas were better, I would have pursued a career in TV/Movie writing.

Old 10-28-2020, 10:55 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,020,075 times
Lots of people think their ideas are better.

Youtube (amongst others), by lowering the barrier to entry, has proved 99.99% of them wrong.

Old 10-28-2020, 11:57 PM

20,620 posts, read 4,409,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel Fauquier View Post
Part of the reason as to why I'm so keen on eventually getting into filmmaking is because ( IMHO ) the ideas I come up with for movies and TV shows are far more interesting than actually existing movies and TV Shows
It's mainly because Hollyweird keeps on regurgitating the same movies every 3-6 years, if not sooner.

They seem to be in a movie time loop. IE: Spider-man movie gets released, then a sequel. Then two years later they gotta reboot it with a newer cast.

I can see a if the release gap was much larger. But they seem to get shorter all the time. Then they dive back to blockbusters, that they think they can top. But they fail miserably.

I've done my share of writing. They're not "great", but I can see them being made into a weekend movies.
Most of the stuff shown on tv these days gets cancelled after one season or less.

Last edited by Hawk4042C; 10-29-2020 at 12:55 AM..

Old 10-29-2020, 06:22 PM

724 posts, read 502,552 times
To elaborate on what I mean by better , I'm not attempting to make the claim that I think that my ideas for movies/TV shows would translate to literal cinematographic masterpieces/whatever ranks as good in the realm of bona fide high brow cinema , it's just that I find my own ideas to be much more interesting than quite honestly just about anything I've seen so far ( with some exceptions ) .

Of course it's also true that I don't spend much time watching films or TV shows , which may very well lead to me having an uninformed opinion , but the main reason for that is ( once again ) the fact of becoming bored within the first few minutes due to finding the whole affair less interesting than my own ideas .

Old 10-29-2020, 07:55 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,020,075 times
This makes even less sense with that elaboration.

Oh well, at least you'll never be bored just sitting in your own thoughts.

Old 10-29-2020, 11:11 PM

20,620 posts, read 4,409,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel Fauquier View Post
To elaborate on what I mean by better , I'm not attempting to make the claim that I think that my ideas for movies/TV shows would translate to literal cinematographic masterpieces/whatever ranks as good in the realm of bona fide high brow cinema , it's just that I find my own ideas to be much more interesting than quite honestly just about anything I've seen so far ( with some exceptions ) .
No, I get what you mean. Many "original" tv shows start out great. The story line is chugging along fine.
Then after a couple seasons (if their lucky), the writers hit a brick wall. The new shows go all over the place, and fubar the show.

Two shows I can think of are Blindspot & Mike & Molly*. Both shows had a decent story lines at first.
In the case of Blindspot the writers decided to turn the whole show inside out. Many people just gave up on the show altogether. While Mike & Molly had a star that got a swelled head. When she made a few movies, she got the writers to tweak the show to focus on her more. Which all but buried the show.
But fortunately it manage to finish out a final season.

Old 10-30-2020, 12:45 AM

5,455 posts, read 3,381,212 times
I only think my movie ideas would be better than everything out there is if I smoked a fat joint while watching one.

Old 10-30-2020, 01:05 AM

19,013 posts, read 14,188,739 times
Alton Brown's "Good Eats" - the MOVIE.

Old 10-30-2020, 06:11 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
YES........but.......

What's a cruise ship? Is it something of luxury or an amusement park of wall to wall fast foods?

One must appreciate that it isn't only the story and how it is presented but also what the public will accept, what moves them.

The other day I made a post about MST3K, wondering what the appeal of it was. It's not something that I would watch but the show is (or was) a HIT.

Keep that in mind that for all the great ideas one has, is there something else out there that will be cheap to produce and make bucks?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts