Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think the movie/TV show ideas you have in your head are better than the movies/TV shows that
Yes 14 77.78%
No 4 22.22%
Other 0 0%
Unsure 0 0%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2020, 02:19 AM

724 posts, read 503,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
You're barely 30. Not much experience.

By your own admission you don't watch a lot of tv and just some movies. Not much data to go on.

You mentioned a couple of shows you don't like. OK, nobody likes everything.

You say your ideas are better but not likely to be cinematic masterpieces. Not clear what that means except you like thinking about your own ideas?

Put it on the screen and let the world decide? Or not...it's cool to just have your own tastes and be happy...just doesn't mean you're right about other stuff being inferior.

I mean I've always added IMHO to the sentences I've typed about my ideas being better , so methinks it's inaccurate to claim that I think most works of cinematic production out there are inferior in the non subjective sense of the term .

By my ideas not likely to be considered cinematic masterpieces , I meant that a completely formally unschooled ( in the art of cinema ) blue collar fellow like me is very much unlikely to be able to produce films that will be mentioned in the same context as ( say ) the works of Ingmar Bergman , however that doesn't mean they couldn't be very much thought of as good in the sense of entertaining .

FWIW I'm already in talks with some angel investors to produce a mini series of Karl Edward Wagner's Death Angel's Shadow stories , which may very well morph into a full blown TV show about Kane the Mystic Swordsman .

So look out for it , cause maybe by this time in 2022 you'll be seeing some of my handiwork here and there on the Internet .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2020, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
I used to work for a large media company. Wed get random people emailing us pitches for what they think we should do next all the time. We sent them a response saying that by emailing us their idea, they are forfeiting any copyright to whatever they suggest to us in an unsolicited manner. If the idea sounded good we took it and forwarded it to management. Id say that happened once or twice. Most of the ideas were clearly the work of madmen.
Most of the ideas were clearly the work of madmen ?

Really ?

I mean one would think that a lot of people would have written to your company about the need for an Elric of Melniboné TV show and things of that nature , but I suppose the classic case of cranks having the most initiative when it comes to pitching ideas applies .

Old 10-31-2020, 06:48 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,022,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel Fauquier View Post

I mean one would think that a lot of people would have written to your company about the need for an Elric of Melniboné TV show and things of that nature
No, one wouldn't.

Old 10-31-2020, 10:42 AM

Quote:
No, one wouldn't.

I suppose the appreciation of the genre is rather passé nowadays , but I still can't help but think that more than a few people out there would love to see good renditions of classic sword and sorcery works .

Old 10-31-2020, 11:16 AM

12,847 posts, read 9,050,725 times
Quote:
Lots of people think their ideas are better.

Youtube (amongst others), by lowering the barrier to entry, has proved 99.99% of them wrong.
On the other hand, there are many that are much better than commercial TV. Considering they started with amateur equipment and no support budget, I'd say that's a better success ratio than the major companies.

Seriously, a large part of success is already being a success. Look how hard it was for Harry Potter to get a first publisher. You see the same thing even in niche hobby publications. Many hobby publishers are dying out while Youtube producers are thriving on the same thing. Yet many of those Youtubers couldn't get in the door at the very publishers that today are lacking material.

Old 10-31-2020, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
On the other hand, there are many that are much better than commercial TV. Considering they started with amateur equipment and no support budget, I'd say that's a better success ratio than the major companies.

Seriously, a large part of success is already being a success. Look how hard it was for Harry Potter to get a first publisher. You see the same thing even in niche hobby publications. Many hobby publishers are dying out while Youtube producers are thriving on the same thing. Yet many of those Youtubers couldn't get in the door at the very publishers that today are lacking material.
I get what you're saying and mostly agree. But I think you'd find that those who succeeded at YT et al put in significant time and effort to get where they are, despite it looking raw and low-budget. I give them a ton of credit for hanging in through all of the lean years.

What they AREN'T doing is just grousing about how much more creative they are than those who have made it.

Old 10-31-2020, 12:36 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,147,063 times
I've popped a few screenplays into templates, then paced it out. Few work, or rather "would" work if put to film. Not what I do for a living, but do like to write and put ideas to paper (or eTemplates, this being 2020). Some have a flair for it, others enjoy consuming, guess I'm in the latter camp.

So, no, they're not more interesting than what's out there, and I've been okay with that since becoming an adult c. 30 years ago.

If I had time and patience I'd write books, but most ideas are hackneyed anymore and I've been suckered into a few Kindle buys that are dumb rehashes of original and brilliant works like Max Brooks' "World War Z" from 2007. That's horror and suspense, same seems to be true of Sci Fi so guessing-same for most other forms of media like that these days too.

Old 10-31-2020, 12:54 PM

Quote:
I get what you're saying and mostly agree. But I think you'd find that those who succeeded at YT et al put in significant time and effort to get where they are, despite it looking raw and low-budget. I give them a ton of credit for hanging in through all of the lean years.

What they AREN'T doing is just grousing about how much more creative they are than those who have made it.
Grousing ?

Not for nothing man/whatever you wish to be addressed as , but how exactly does creating a thread asking people if they find their own cinematic production related ideas more interesting than already existing cinematic productions translate to grousing about the success of already active filmmakers ?

Old 10-31-2020, 02:02 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,599,623 times
LOL absolutely.
I am working on making my own pilot in the coming months. I'm gonna post it on youtube and see if anyone takes interest in it.

I think my show would fit in well on something like Paramount Network

Old 11-01-2020, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel Fauquier View Post
Grousing ?

Not for nothing man/whatever you wish to be addressed as , but how exactly does creating a thread asking people if they find their own cinematic production related ideas more interesting than already existing cinematic productions translate to grousing about the success of already active filmmakers ?
You said you thought your ideas, which have not been put on the screen, were better/more interesting TO YOU than other ideas that have actually been executed for the screen.

There is no way to prove or disprove this.

1) it's a matter of personal taste. Nobody can force you to like or unlike anything else.

2) your ideas have not been expressed outside your own head/page. It's like saying I believe I'm a better QB than Tom Brady. It could be 100% true that I BELIEVE that. But until/unless I get a chance to compete in real life it is pure silly speculation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts