Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2021, 05:50 PM

10,726 posts, read 4,334,730 times

Advertisements

The superhero genre has been dominating since about 2005 (Batman Begins) or 2008 (The Dark Knight).
It will take a long time for that trend to go away, because what else would appeal to kids/teens?
The superhero genre has a lot of options, whereas the Pirate or Vampire trend was restricted.
And superhero films require less brains to watch or understand the story, and most viewers are brainless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2021, 11:47 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,212,304 times
Yes! So boring, all the same.

Old 01-12-2021, 07:42 AM

11,758 posts, read 14,644,267 times
I have no interest in the comic book or cartoon movies. My wife got me to watch Black Panther but I didn't find anything outstanding in it.

My son, who does watch at least some of these movies (and a big share of his comic book collection still resides in my house), observed recently that if the Disney company could buy the rights to a comic book for a dollar and make a dollar and one cent by selling it, they would do it.

I think that aptly captures the art/commerce equation in these projects.

Old 01-12-2021, 10:53 PM

They should make superhero films more like The Dark Knight, so Christopher Nolan should be making them.
David Fincher can also can make that type of superhero film, like when he made The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, that style of film-making can work in the superhero genre.

Old 01-13-2021, 05:13 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,244,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
I have zero use for superhero movies. I think they're boring.

That said ... what do I care if they crank them out?

Am I obligated to see all movies? [No.]

Would I want to see all movies? [No.]

Even if I wanted to see all movies, Hollywood alone spits out 500+ films per year. Who has time for ~1.5 new movies every year? [Not me.]

If anyone is watching even half that number of movies every year, that's a person that really needs to get a life. But they still could easily avoid superhero movies, which are a small fraction of all movies. It baffles me why people get bent out of shape over product they don't like. Don't consume that product - problem solved.
Agree!

Hollyweird pumps out more pictures than I will ever watch for many reasons. Might be too PC, might be too stupid, might be too boring...whatever.

The only superhero movie I have liked in years was Black Panther and with Boseman dead, the remake is most likely dead to me! I did enjoy Agents of SHIELD but that is also gone.

The rest of them can all go and fly away....

Old 01-13-2021, 05:57 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAalot View Post
They should make superhero films more like The Dark Knight, so Christopher Nolan should be making them.
David Fincher can also can make that type of superhero film, like when he made The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, that style of film-making can work in the superhero genre.
Nah. Nolan made one classic, one good movie, and one mess. And I'm not sure a David Fincher tone is what the super hero genre needs.

Honestly, I'm tired of the brooding, cynical, ultra-violent super heroes. Enough already. Yeah, Batman should be dark to a degree, but when you're turning Superman dark, you have lost the way. In too many recent iterations of this genre, you can hardly tell the good guys from the bad guys anymore. I can enjoy that to a certain degree, but when that is the standard offering? No.

If you got the time for a 41 minute watch, this explains why:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dfI_2dscGE

Old 01-13-2021, 07:38 AM

I agree Superman should always be squeaky clean and have the positive demeanor.....but I think its ok to surround him with a dark world.
Christopher Reeve's 2nd Superman film did that very well, because the 3 super villains were owning everyone, and everything was very downcast, and they even killed a young boy.
Superman surrendered his powers in order to have relations with Lois Lane.
Clark Kent got beaten up by a guy in a diner, seeing his blood for the first time and then seeing Zod on TV while the POTUS begged for Superman's help.
It was a very dark film, yet Superman's character remained uplifting, and the ending was epic.

Old 01-13-2021, 08:06 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAalot View Post
I agree Superman should always be squeaky clean and have the positive demeanor.....but I think its ok to surround him with a dark world.
Christopher Reeve's 2nd Superman film did that very well, because the 3 super villains were owning everyone, and everything was very downcast, and they even killed a young boy.
Superman surrendered his powers in order to have relations with Lois Lane.
Clark Kent got beaten up by a guy in a diner, seeing his blood for the first time and then seeing Zod on TV while the POTUS begged for Superman's help.
It was a very dark film, yet Superman's character remained uplifting, and the ending was epic.
I don't know that Superman always needs to be "squeaky clean." It's okay if Superman makes mistakes. But Superman has a strong moral compass, always tries to do the right thing, and owns up to his mistakes.

This is something the Snyder films seem to have forsaken. I suspect it's due largely to Snyder's Objectivism, which tries (and fails) to turn selfishness into a virtue.

I have never been a huge Superman fan. Great origin, then he gest boring. Not for me. But hey, that's okay. Tastes differ. That said, the Paul Dini / Bruce Timm Superman cartoons were fantastic.

See:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzbavnDUYkI

And hey, you can even have Superman fight Batman, make it thrilling, and not break the characters. See:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJURV-vbQEU

Old 01-13-2021, 08:39 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,139,900 times
I never liked superheroes even as a kid, and certainly don't have any interest in them now as an adult. But what I have found is that people who watch these movies are REALLY into this stuff and that is probably why they make big money. These are the types of people that will go to the theater and watch the same movies 2-3x.

Old 01-13-2021, 11:16 AM

2,068 posts, read 4,335,270 times
I keep having expectations for something good and engrossing with these superhero shows and they keep disappointing.

Are they making too many? They are making too many subpar superhero shows... yes.

I feel like our childhood memories of cartoons are better than what they are cranking out.

Of the few I've seen
Green Arrow - started out okay but haven't watched since the onslaught of too many "heroes". I haven't watched any of the other arrowverse shows.
Batwoman - absolutely horrid. I can only "hope" that the new black chick does a better job than Ruby Rose and the story improves... I man a demented sister is the main antagonist?
Titans - trying to get into it but other than kind of interesting intros for the group it's become stagnant
The Gifted - not great, but better than Batwoman and Titans but cancelled too soon and had potential.
Runaways - watched only 3 episodes, hated it.
Iron Fist - laughable
Supergirl - liked it only watched the 1st season
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts