Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2021, 02:51 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
And I conveniently (it really is too convenient) refer back to my "Big Mac" analogy.
I seem to have lost my notes, professor. You're gonna have to refresh my memory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Cap's shield follows a magical trajectory whenever it's thrown. Black Widow's ability to knock out an armored foe with her bare fist is likewise magical, as is her ability to withstand the concussive blast of a grenade at close range. War Machine "sensed" Vision's energy blast (which should be instantaneous) before it reaches him, so that he can dodge it — if that isn't bending physics, I don't know what is.

Falcon has the uncanny (like an X-mutant, if you get my drift) ability to not get seriously hurt.

That's what I'm getting at.
Fair point. Maybe I'm just getting too old and expecting a teensy too much logic out of what are basically live-action cartoons.

I know that in a movie about super heroes it is silly to expect 100% scientific accuracy. I get it. And I'm not expecting that. It's okay to toss some rules out the window. But it seems like too many of these movies are tossing all the rules out the window. Anything goes!

I know they are trying to make the movies exciting, but this actually has the opposite effect. Having a Humvee explode under Captain America while three bad guys are shooting at him with machine guns ought to be exciting. But it isn't. Because I know he can't be hurt. He'll just leap 30 feet in the air onto the pursuing vehicle while hundreds of bullets fired by trained soldiers miraculously miss him, then knock each one of them out with one punch.

Why should I care if Hawkeye just took the brunt of that explosion? I know he's just gonna stand up again with some smudge on his cheeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2021, 04:35 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,247,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAalot View Post
The superhero genre has been dominating since about 2005 (Batman Begins) or 2008 (The Dark Knight).
It will take a long time for that trend to go away, because what else would appeal to kids/teens?
The superhero genre has a lot of options, whereas the Pirate or Vampire trend was restricted.
And superhero films require less brains to watch or understand the story, and most viewers are brainless.
Most viewers don't speak English.

Complex dialogue is hard to translate, whereas special effects and action scenes have universal appeal.

Old 02-21-2021, 07:12 PM

662 posts, read 1,281,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
With Disney and Warner Bros making more and more super hero shows and movies, do you thinks its too much or are you excited to see them?

Warner Bros is overexposed. Disney is not. Their movies are actually good. The CW television shows are uneventful teen drama is motocycle jacket crap.

Old 02-22-2021, 01:44 PM

10,726 posts, read 4,334,730 times
I've still never enjoyed a Marvel superhero film, and rarely can finish watching them.
I didn't like DC's Justice League or Batman vs. Superman either, and hate Wonder Woman (which is a shame because the director did "Monster" and I gave that 10/10).
The only superhero films that I enjoyed in the 21st Century:
Batman Begins.
Superman Returns.
The Dark Knight.
I didn't like The Dark Knight Rises.

Old 02-23-2021, 09:04 AM

14,760 posts, read 8,093,254 times
Yes! Way too many! Is this all Hollywood's got at this point? Boring and overdone.
In the last couple of decades I have watched and enjoyed a couple of the Batman movies, and that's it.
The rest I wouldn't waste my time watching, much less pay to go see.

But to each his own. Got to me someone out there who likes them.

Old 03-09-2021, 08:58 AM

724 posts, read 402,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
With Disney and Warner Bros making more and more super hero shows and movies, do you thinks its too much or are you excited to see them?
As you know, it is the current trend, and has been that way for years. It's not something new. Since Marvel hit its prime about 3-4 years ago, there have been more superhero shows/movies. It will last for a while more and then another type of movie will take over as the next trend.

For right now, I really like Marvel/MCU. With their additional acquisitions of FOX, they will be able to make movies with Xmen, Fantastic Four, and others. So I'm onboard with these movies for a few more years. I'll probably get sick of it in a few years and move onto something else, but I'm ok with them for now.

Old 03-12-2021, 06:03 AM

10,726 posts, read 4,334,730 times
Superman And Lois has an 8.0 average at IMDb, so its the best Superman series ever made.

And its a very unpredictable story too, because people who reviewed it early got faked out by
Spoiler
the footballer.

And then got faked out by the extent of the
Spoiler
other son.

And Lex is
Spoiler
more like Zod than Lex.

Pretty unique story, and I only watched 5 minutes of Supergirl, so I had no interest in it.

Old 03-14-2021, 11:39 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,613,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAalot View Post
And Lex is
Spoiler
more like Zod than Lex.
And then you know that's not true if you watched the third episode.

Old 03-14-2021, 11:52 AM

2,634 posts, read 2,675,948 times
I like them generally, but I am a bit burned out at this point. I liked Thor: Ragnarok, my favorite one, and thought Aquaman was great. Of course the Iron Man ones are good. Some of them are mediocre at best and I can't say I'm excited to see any new ones.

It's like the Star Wars stuff, I like the first 6, but not that excited by all the new ones, though I did like Solo, but I've kind of given up on watching anything that comes out at this point.

Old 03-14-2021, 01:35 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Generalization for all movies, not just super heroes. Hollywood is just stringing together lots of scenes of special effects and chases. They aren't feeling any need for any sort of story to link them together. It would be a nice change to see something with a good strong story line.

Not that I don't like the special effects and chases, but the same thing over and over and over finally gets boring, no matter how big the explosions are. Seriously, I notice that some of the special effects are simply grafted into one movie from another. I occasionally see the same monsters or space creatures in different movies, reusing the costumes and computer graphics. I swear, the TIE fighters from the original Star Wars are still out there flying around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts