U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2022, 09:32 PM

9,477 posts, read 16,332,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Maybe yes, maybe no. Some of my multipacks come in sleeves in the box, some have plastic pages that the disk clips to. Mind you, I would have to switch out the paper sleeves from their black ones to light colored ones, but other than that......

As to the Post it, that is possible except.....I am a vast time between watchings. It might indeed be a year....or longer.
Um ... and the post-it would CARE that it's been a long time between watchings?!! The stickyness of the post-it lasts for years (I know because I often find old articles that I read years ago with post-it notes still stuck to them.)

My first thought when I read the OP was "just add a post-it to the DVD." Then I saw that the first response said that too. But you poo-poo'd that idea for no reason I can understand? Can you please explain what you meant and WHY the post-it wouldn't work?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2022, 09:40 PM

18,615 posts, read 9,899,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Um ... and the post-it would CARE that it's been a long time between watchings?!! The stickyness of the post-it lasts for years (I know because I often find old articles that I read years ago with post-it notes still stuck to them.)

My first thought when I read the OP was "just add a post-it to the DVD." Then I saw that the first response said that too. But you poo-poo'd that idea for no reason I can understand? Can you please explain what you meant and WHY the post-it wouldn't work?

Because he said there was a risk about many years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
This should be a no-brainer OP. Put a simple Post It note on the sleeve or imprinted part of the disk that shows the date you watched which track or side! Unless you leave the Post It on there for years, the permanently non-permanent adhesive shouldn't leave noticeable residue. You can get absurdly simple paper sleeves for DVDs at office supplies if they don't happen to have their own. Make your own notations on the sleeve.

BUT......as I said in #7, it was a pretty good idea, more or less.

Old 01-17-2022, 03:59 AM

458 posts, read 444,533 times
The post it note on cover onside seems the easiest and best idea for your situation. However, you have been given many good solutions.

Old 01-20-2022, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becki in Tx. View Post
The post it note on cover onside seems the easiest and best idea for your situation. However, you have been given many good solutions.
Perhaps but I think the post it or turn the DVD over is the best.

Another problem with Excel or the tally sheet is it is in the ball park of all the eggs in one basket....and if the tally sheet (not so much with Excel) is lost, there goes the keys to the kingdom. With the post it, it is just one series.

Another item is that one might not appreciate just how big the TV series section of my library is. All the Star Treks from TOS to Voyager, minus TAS. Now, that's okay, since almost all of those have been watched....almost, there abouts. DS9 and Voyager have a lot of gaps, a lot of episodes not throughly watched.

Irwin Allen series of Voyage, Time Tunnel, Land of the Giants, and Lost in Space.

The Avengers, new and old

Blakes7 (but not going into Dr. Who since each box is a separate story)

The Rookies, SWAT, Honey West, I Spy, The Man/Girl from UNCLE, Man in the Suitcase, The Adventurer, The Baron, The Persuaders, The Saint, Jason King, Department S, Dempsey & Makepeace, Honey West, classic Hawaii 5-0, Mannix, Streets of San Franciso, Barnaby Jones, Adam-12, Emergency!, The Protectors, Da Vinci's Inquest, MI-5, Mission: Impossible (old and new), The Wild Wild West .......

The Twilight Zone (3 generations), Night Gallery, Ray Bradbury Theatre, NBC Sunday/Wednesday Night Mystery Movies, Xena, Hercules, Jack of all Trades, Cleopatra 2525, The Six Million Dollar Man, Humans, LEXX, Killjoys, Dark Matter, The Bionic Woman (both series), Party of Five, Melrose Place, Kindred: the Embrace, SeaQuest, Forever Knight, Thriller,Friday the 13th: The Series, Defiance, The Expanse, Robin Hood (3 generations), Red Dwarf, Space: 1999, UFO............

SOAP, WKRP, Mary Tyler Moore, Bob Newhart, Maude, The Jeffersons, The Love Boat, That Girl, Bewitched, Get Smart, I Dream of Jeannie, Gilligan's Island,F Troop, Hogan's Heroes. Frasier.........

Battlestar Galactica (both), Caprica, Andromeda, Babylon 5, SEARCH, Baa Baa Black Sheep, Charlie' Angels, La Femme Nikita, Nikita, The Dead Zone, Sex & the City, Star Hunter, One Step Beyound, The Outer Limits (two generations), She-Wolf of London, Supergirl, Airwolf, China Beach, Miami Vice...........

Brit mysteries such as Morse, Frost, Cracker, Gently, Daligish, Lewis, Just Shoot Me, Gert, Banks, Shetland...........

Judging Amy, Thirty Something, Picket Fences, War of the Worlds, Northern Exposure, Charmed, Buffy, Quantum Leap, Angel, The Lord of the Skies, Tarzan, Kolchak: the Night Stalker, Kojak, ............................................

........................................to say a few.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 01-20-2022 at 09:44 AM..

Old 01-25-2022, 05:07 PM

271 posts, read 84,439 times
Quote:
.....how do you keep track which DVD you've watched when it has been weeks or months in between?

A DVD pack like say Season 1 thru 4 of a show.

In an instant of the light bulb going off, I am thinking of putting the DVD in use on the front page of the case, the DVD on top, or if a two sided movie DVD, having that side face up on the front page of the case.......and heaven help the busy body who puts everything in order!

Do others have other ways, that is us Oldie von Moldies who use DVDs?
I print out the episode guide from epguides.com and check off each episode after it is viewed. I store each episode guide with the box set.

For example, here’s the one for Jake & the Fatman (just got this for Christmas)

https://epguides.com/JakeandtheFatman/

Old 01-26-2022, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milliepearl View Post
I print out the episode guide from epguides.com and check off each episode after it is viewed. I store each episode guide with the box set.

For example, here’s the one for Jake & the Fatman (just got this for Christmas)

https://epguides.com/JakeandtheFatman/

I am glad it works for you.

Old 02-19-2022, 12:50 PM

70 posts, read 15,274 times
Quote:
.....how do you keep track which DVD you've watched when it has been weeks or months in between?...

iTunes.
If you've ever used the free app for music, it can do the same thing for your backed-up DVD-video files, and DVDs are more prone (and costly) to disc rot than CDs are, so they must be backed-up.

For those who haven't, the simple way is just go to the iTune's main library window and sort the 'Last Played' column to however you want it, or, you can create a 'Smart Playlist' that specifies 'do not play files that were played (and/or skipped) in the last X days, weeks or months', and also with the former criteria, you can add, only play files within a certain rating, 3, 4, or 5*, or 4-5* etc, as part of the same SPL, or, a separate one.

I created a special SPL that draws one show from each of my backed-up files, with the rules that it only picks one show with (within the 3½ -5 * rating) from each, and when picking that show, play the one that was least recently played or skipped, which works perfectly, as I have backed-up over 3tb of my TV & Movie collection, and it makes sure that I don't unintentionally neglect forgotten files that I haven't seen in years, and, it instantly refreshes itself without repeating a specific show's episodes before all of of those episodes have been watched, if I want to program it that way.

There is a script for music files that sort of does that, but it only picks one song from each artist within a specified p/l which doesn't refresh itself, so when it has played them all, you have to manually create another p/l.

There are also ways to tweak the above p/l to include playing certain files in that same p/l to play more than other shows do, such as A-B-C-D-A-E-F-A-B-G-A-C-H-Q-I etc, but I won't go into detail here in this thread, as probably no one is that interested.

Last edited by OI85N24U; 02-19-2022 at 01:40 PM.. Reason: Clarification and additions

Old 02-19-2022, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OI85N24U View Post
iTunes.
If you've ever used the free app for music, it can do the same thing for your backed-up DVD-video files, and DVDs are more prone (and costly) to disc rot than CDs are, so they must be backed-up.

Wow, I didn't know that. Thank you.

For the working copies that I make, I do have their files copied on to various hard drives (and then backups of those hard drives) but how does one make backups of protected discs.........

.......and is there a program to do all this when you don't use Itunes, when you are not an app person?

Old 03-02-2022, 11:27 AM

70 posts, read 15,274 times
Quote:
For the working copies that I make, I do have their files copied on to various hard drives (and then backups of those hard drives)
What are you referring to by the 'working copies' files that you make?

Quote:
For the working copies that I make, I do have their files copied on to various hard drives (and then backups of those hard drives)

It sounds like you have the actual TV show files backed-up to your various HDs?

If not, what is backed up to the various HDs?

Old 03-02-2022, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OI85N24U View Post
What are you referring to by the 'working copies' files that you make?

It sounds like you have the actual TV show files backed-up to your various HDs?

If not, what is backed up to the various HDs?
Many of my consumer bought VHS were not copy protected so they could be recorded on a DVD such as using the Toshiba DVR620. The VHS goes into storage and I play the DVD when I want to watch the flick.

For the VHS that are copy protected, well, that's it, I don't go any further. To me, it is fair use to make a DVD if I can without resorting to a means that may not be easily available to consumers, such as with the DVR620. When it does start involving special software, then I stop because it seems to me I am going beyond a reasonable limit. Plus, there is another issue in that in experience, it is just too much trouble.

Video data is very byte intensive. With something like the DVR620, it can be done but that's a heavy piece of machinery with a lot of innards to do something like that. With something like this: https://www.officedepot.com/a/produc...E&gclsrc=aw.ds it works but it is very limited. I have found, years ago, that the most I could build was a 15 minute file at a time of very limited quality.

It is not surprising because as said, video data is very byte intensive.

The DVDs copied to hard drives may be something of a waste of time and space but essentially, I am tired of having to rebuy stuff every time the format changes. So I record to the hard drives in an attempt to have the stuff in a memory where if I need to recreate a DVD or watch off the hard drive, I can.......in theory. Maybe what I have is totally usable, maybe it is partially usable (I think so), maybe it is junk, but it is about the best approach I've got.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts