Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2022, 06:42 AM

2,568 posts, read 2,516,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njmom66 View Post
Sounds like Facebook to me .

I belong to a couple of NHL groups, and people are getting "Facebook policed" all the time there, since lots of mentions of violence (real or fake) are being mentioned. But hockey can be a violent sport, so....
Be careful, if you write hockey puck sometimes the algorithm will see it as hockey f---. Don't ask me how I know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2022, 06:53 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Based on your number of postings and high rep rating here, I'd think you would known something like that could be implied as a call to violence, and as such could be interpreted as a violation of that particular websites TOS. I understand the warning you received. I think you should have known better.
LOL well, based on the number of years I've been on that particular social media site, with zero infractions of any sort, I guess I just didn't know better. I know now though!

I've been on this site for ten years - hard to believe! I've been on the other social media site even longer.

For the record, I think that anyone with any sense at all would know that my post was not a "call to violence," real or implied. But whatever.

Old 04-29-2022, 12:13 PM

5,654 posts, read 3,139,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
So this morning, I was on a popular social media site, which I won't name, and there was some meme by some group that said "Name one English mistake that drives you crazy" or something like that, so I responded "I will prolly kill the next person who says this," and immediately I got some sort of warning, I'm sure it's via AI, that said my post was against the TOS and had been deleted because it was "bullying" and did I agree with the assessment? So I responded, via their canned responses, that no, I felt like the post was misunderstood, and THEN I got whacked with restrictions and all that good stuff, from one day to 20 days, which I felt was from a human. And of course I can't respond to that.

Grrr. Anyway, it's enough to make me want to get off social media completely. I am so ticked off! Anyone else ever dealt with this?

DRAMA! LOL
"Kill" is one of those words. LOL

I have a friend who told her niece something like "I'm going to kill you the next time I see you." Of course she wasn't going to kill her niece...but she got grounded for a week or so.

And I have a cousin in law who routinely gets 'grounded' on Facebook. She likes to think of herself as some kind of rebel. lol

Old 05-05-2022, 06:13 AM

6 posts, read 10,303 times
All social networks have become so sensitive to any kind of bullying, where it is not even there, but there is a sarcastic statement. I had this in games, where the wrong word and shadowban.

Old 07-29-2022, 06:49 PM

1,290 posts, read 1,341,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBNCHI View Post
Be careful, if you write hockey puck sometimes the algorithm will see it as hockey f---. Don't ask me how I know!
Oh damn now i have to try that one!!!

Old 09-01-2022, 02:38 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strannik33 View Post
Well, how about us right here? A moderator can delete any post at will! What happened to free speech? Under the guise of protecting people's feelings, we cannot seems to be able to say anything even remotely controversial.
Haha, no. Not at all the same. As others pointed out, "free speech" doesn't apply to a private website - or really in any situation aside from that which involves government intervention. When you signed up for C-D you agreed to those terms, and are bound by the rules they've set forth. Also, this site is moderated SOLELY by real live humans. How do I know for sure? Well, I used to be a moderator.

So if you have an issue with their decisions, you can direct-message them and usually get a quick (and fair) response. This site is better and more fairly moderated than ANY other social media I've used, which is why it's the one I have used the longest and most often on & off. Try communicating with admin/mods on Facebook or Reddit, and then get back to us on how easy it was by comparison.

Old 09-01-2022, 02:49 PM

And to answer OP, yes. I've been a "victim" of the Facebook auto-mods a number of times. And yes, it is incredibly frustrating!!! Mostly because you simply cannot get through to a real person, so if you're caught by the bots for a misunderstanding, you just have to sit back and take it. No use even trying to fight it, as they'll just immediately send back another canned response saying "nope sorry."

Here's my most recent ban: I got dinged for HATE SPEECH because I wrote "this is why people think Americans are dumb." How is that hate speech, especially when the comment to which I was referring was incredibly dumb and racist? But when I report CLEAR incidents of racism/homophobia/etc, they almost always reply that it didn't violate their guidelines (even when it literally matches their examples of what isn't allowed). Another time I got restricted for talking to someone in a video - so not even directly to anyone. It was a video of someone trying to squeeze into a school pickup line, and I wrote "no b----, wait your turn." Apparently I was bullying the unknown person you couldn't even see in a video from probably years ago.

Oh oh, one more!! Got restricted for saying "Go to sleep, child" after a young woman tried and failed to debate me over a dog-related matter. I forget the full context, but she was clearly way over her head - okay, I'll say it. She was really really dumb. After attempting to explain the subject numerous times, as simply as I could manage, I finally just told her to go to bed. Still scratching my head on how that was bullying behavior. Idk.

Last edited by gizmo980; 09-01-2022 at 02:59 PM..

Old 09-01-2022, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I was on Next Door for my FL neighborhood and when we had our TX house for that neighborhood
Never had an issue with the monitors covering the TX neighborhood and adjacent areas’ posts really==
Some people posted stuff that was against TOS and might have their post or the thread cut
Speaking of NextDoor, here's a funny one for ya. I forget the full conversation, but we were talking about cats, and I said something about "Unless you have a Maine Coon" as an example of a LARGE cat. It got auto-flagged (told me to edit my post) for racism. I get that the auto-mods can't read context, but that still made me laugh!

Old 09-03-2022, 05:15 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
And to answer OP, yes. I've been a "victim" of the Facebook auto-mods a number of times. And yes, it is incredibly frustrating!!! Mostly because you simply cannot get through to a real person, so if you're caught by the bots for a misunderstanding, you just have to sit back and take it. No use even trying to fight it, as they'll just immediately send back another canned response saying "nope sorry."

Here's my most recent ban: I got dinged for HATE SPEECH because I wrote "this is why people think Americans are dumb." How is that hate speech, especially when the comment to which I was referring was incredibly dumb and racist? But when I report CLEAR incidents of racism/homophobia/etc, they almost always reply that it didn't violate their guidelines (even when it literally matches their examples of what isn't allowed). Another time I got restricted for talking to someone in a video - so not even directly to anyone. It was a video of someone trying to squeeze into a school pickup line, and I wrote "no b----, wait your turn." Apparently I was bullying the unknown person you couldn't even see in a video from probably years ago.

Oh oh, one more!! Got restricted for saying "Go to sleep, child" after a young woman tried and failed to debate me over a dog-related matter. I forget the full context, but she was clearly way over her head - okay, I'll say it. She was really really dumb. After attempting to explain the subject numerous times, as simply as I could manage, I finally just told her to go to bed. Still scratching my head on how that was bullying behavior. Idk.

Just remember the things that the Greaseman said that got him his places in infamy. In of themselves, perhaps harmless or perhaps he saw it as a groaning joke but wrong time, wrong place, and when so many people hear you, probably not wise. Just like ......... https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0580170/

What I want to know is how does all this relate to Star Trek of the 60s? All these references to TOS?

Old 09-06-2022, 12:43 PM

2,953 posts, read 1,637,449 times
My husband had a friend and associate he worked with who conducted an international educational organization. He organized conferences on WWI, WWII, the American Revolution, the English Civil War, the American Civil War, Custer's Indian wars, Waterloo, even medieval studies like Agincourt.

Participants would travel to Normandy, UK, all over the US, many people would attend year after year. It was a very well known and well thought of organization.

When our friend sadly succumbed to cancer my husband put his obituary, listing all his accomplishments, on FB and it was immediately removed. My husband was outraged and challenged the removal, saying it was the obituary of a distinguished educator.

Turns out, of all the studies listed, the American Civil War was the trigger. My husband pointed out how utterly foolish that was and unfair to the deceased and to FB credit the obituary was put back up on my husband's account where it remained.

Rare case though probably.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts