Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2023, 10:45 AM

513 posts, read 732,243 times

Advertisements

In The Great Gatsby, Chapter 4, F. Scott Fitzgerald had several paragraphs about the people who attended Gatsby's parties during one summer. There would be some with names, while not common, would be ordinary. Then thrown in that mix would be outlandish names such as Stonewall Jackson Abrams of Georgia; Mrs. Ulysses Swett; the Hammerheads; Beluga, the tobacco importer; Ferret; Miss Claudia Hip; and a "boarder" named Klipspringer! You just knew Fitzgerald had a field day coming up with these names!

True story: when my daughter was in the first grade, we had neighbors with a daughter a couple of years younger than mine named Liberty--when they had a son, he was named Justice. I choked down a laugh when they told me that, but was thinking would number 3 be For All? Always thought those would be good names for some fictional family!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2023, 11:00 AM

32,865 posts, read 12,129,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzyst View Post
In The Great Gatsby, Chapter 4, F. Scott Fitzgerald had several paragraphs about the people who attended Gatsby's parties during one summer. There would be some with names, while not common, would be ordinary. Then thrown in that mix would be outlandish names such as Stonewall Jackson Abrams of Georgia; Mrs. Ulysses Swett; the Hammerheads; Beluga, the tobacco importer; Ferret; Miss Claudia Hip; and a "boarder" named Klipspringer! You just knew Fitzgerald had a field day coming up with these names!

True story: when my daughter was in the first grade, we had neighbors with a daughter a couple of years younger than mine named Liberty--when they had a son, he was named Justice. I choked down a laugh when they told me that, but was thinking would number 3 be For All? Always thought those would be good names for some fictional family!
A woman I had a business relationship with 20+ years ago was friends with a couple I never met....Mr. & Mrs. Case. During this period, a son was born to Mr. and Mrs. Case....and they named him Justin.

Old 05-17-2023, 11:43 AM

14,676 posts, read 7,978,215 times
My insurance agent use to be Clyde B. Wise of the "Clyde B. Wise Insurance Agency"
We use to have a Realtor called Iva House. In Louisville in the 70's there was a Doctor called Bing Crosby.

^But none of the above are fictional names, they are all real, that for some reason I remember.

Old 05-17-2023, 10:11 PM

32,770 posts, read 35,991,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Not fictional, but there was a young girl competing in some 4H Club thing at the Ohio State Fair and her name was Rusty Clutter. Ain’t that just the best dang farm girl name ever?
May as well close the thread after that name.

Old 05-19-2023, 05:59 AM

7,976 posts, read 10,545,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I love the name Katniss Everdeen!
I second that one! Love it.

Also, Lemony Snicket, from the books my son used to read.

Old 05-20-2023, 07:29 PM

4,624 posts, read 2,167,968 times
Moist Von lepwig from this bizarre fever dream of a miniseries called going postal. I'm not sure I really know what it's about I'm not sure that it's even that good it was just so strange I couldn't stop watching.

I believe it's either on freevee or Amazon prime

Old 05-25-2023, 11:00 PM

8,233 posts, read 13,314,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankrigby View Post
Moist Von lepwig from this bizarre fever dream of a miniseries called going postal. I'm not sure I really know what it's about I'm not sure that it's even that good it was just so strange I couldn't stop watching.

I believe it's either on freevee or Amazon prime
Ditto!
There was something about that short series that was so captivating, and as quirky and bizarre as it was, due to something (animated-like but utterly charming characters? directing? dialog? story?), I couldn't stop watching it either!
Very entertaining show, indeed.

Old 05-26-2023, 01:24 AM

4,624 posts, read 2,167,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Ditto!
There was something about that short series that was so captivating, and as quirky and bizarre as it was, due to something (animated-like but utterly charming characters? directing? dialog? story?), I couldn't stop watching it either!
Very entertaining show, indeed.
I really think it's the creativity. It was way out there but still just something about it

Old 05-26-2023, 02:19 AM

8,233 posts, read 13,314,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankrigby View Post
I really think it's the creativity. It was way out there but still just something about it
Yup. Very imaginative and visuals were a lot like a French movie (Amelie, Delicatessen), part reality, part dream, it takes you to a different world with very unique and interesting and somewhat cartoonish characters. Great story telling, good humor and special effects as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zae-Tq73pQ8

It was actually on Amazon Prime a while back but not available any more. F
or some reason only available Free w/ads which I dislike a lot.
Good thing I have it on DVD!

Old 05-29-2023, 03:12 PM

4,398 posts, read 2,881,899 times
In the Maltese Falcon, there's a chubby character named Casper Gutman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts