Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2022, 03:21 PM

5,249 posts, read 3,604,666 times

Advertisements

I don't think there is any connection between "intelligence" and talent. Some actors are bright, some are near genius and some are as dumb as a bag of hammers, but brilliant actors. Talent is a gift, you might as well ask this about athletes too.

A number of actors seem to be working out emotional issues that began in childhood by projecting other "identities". A strong EQ could be considered an alternative type of "intelligence".

I put "intelligence" in quotes above because I believe there are all kinds of intelligence in all sorts of areas of life and that may include talents as well, not just the sort of intelligence that does well in school or can be measured with an IQ score.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2022, 03:29 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,139,106 times
I've often thought that the smart actors and actresses keep their mouths shut when it comes to controversial subjects. In other words, if you DON'T hear about them in the news, they're probably pretty bright.

Mayim Bialik is a neuroscientist.

Old 07-20-2022, 06:01 PM

4,559 posts, read 5,410,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Do you think great actors are highly intelligent?

What do you think?
I dont know about being "highly intelligent". There may be a few, but most I believe are of average intelligence. I think there is a greater number of comedians who are in the realm of being considered "highly intelligent" moreso than just regular actors.

I think its really more of people who really dedicate themselves to the their chosen craft. Take musicians for example. I dont think anyone is trying to say that Hendrix, Van Halen, Clapton or Chucho Valdez are/were "highly intelligent" people. They are just folks who completely excelled in their chosen careers/crafts. Actors are the same way.

Old 07-25-2022, 07:08 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,601,687 times
Richard Gere is highly intelligent. Also, a great actor. He cares deeply about human rights in China, Tibet, etc.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aMBanHVcTeQ

Old 07-25-2022, 10:17 AM

33,333 posts, read 12,491,270 times
Five immediately came to my mind.

Three men, and two women.

Kris Kristofferson, James Woods, David Duchovny, Natalie Portman, and Mira Sorvino.

Kristofferson graduated from Pomona College summa c*m laude and was elected to Phi Beta Kappa, and earned a Rhodes Scholarship. He competed in football, track and field, and rugby at Pomona, and played rugby for his college at Oxford.

James Woods attended MIT.

David Duchovny graduated from Princeton (like Kristofferson, summa c*m laude and Phi Beta Kappa), and earned a Masters from Yale, and started his PhD at Yale.

Natalie Portman graduated from Harvard. In high school she co-authored a paper that was published in the Journal of Chemical Education.

Mira Sorvino graduated from Harvard magna c*m laude, and speaks fluent Mandarin (a product of her time as an exchange student in China).

Old 07-25-2022, 11:36 AM

23,590 posts, read 70,367,145 times
Dame Olivia Mary de Havilland
Lucille Ball
Elliot Gould (met him)
Shirley MacLaine (met her - press aside, she is super-smart)

I could go on and on. If I had to guess, I would put almost all successful actors in the upper ten percent of brains, and a few, such as de Havilland and Ball, in the top three percent. What a lot of people don't get is that the public persona and acting roles can be entirely different than the person themself.

Old 07-25-2022, 12:24 PM

5,249 posts, read 3,604,666 times
Hedy Lamar, just to occupy herself in her free time between movies, came up with a radio technology during WWII that was so advanced that the War Dept/Pentagon used it during the war. Basically she came up with a concept of frequency "hopping", synchronized between transmitter & reciever. This was initially used on submarines so that the Axis couldn't intercept communications or interfere with weapons.

Hedy got a patent for this (and many other things she came up with) but the Pentagon felt it had to be kept secret for national security and she never saw a penny from it. Among the myriad of technologies that use advanced versions of this concept today are cell phones, wifi, bluetooth and all sorts of other things.

She could've been a billionaire just from this one invention, definitely a genius.

Old 08-03-2022, 09:30 PM

216 posts, read 67,126 times
No, acting ability is highly subjective and has absolutely nothing to do with intelligence at all. I'm not even sure if there is such a thing as "great" acting. I mean as long as you can lie with a straight face and not look directly into the camera any idiot can be considered a "great" actor or actress.

Old 08-05-2022, 06:07 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,901,183 times
Well they want you to think they are highly intelligent!
They throw out their thoughts like they came down from a mountain written in stone!

Old 08-05-2022, 06:15 AM

462 posts, read 284,518 times
The smarter ones are smart enough to know when to keep their mouths shut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts