Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2023, 10:25 AM

2,955 posts, read 1,637,449 times

Advertisements

Re: Johnny Depp being weird, most performers are decidedly odd.

They seem normal charming fun-loving etc. when at public events but that's acting. In private they do things that seem...well not normal.

Part of it is being so self-focused. I read where Lawrence Olivier would stare at himself in the mirror for hours at a time looking at his face, nose, eyes from every angle. Allegedly to study what the audience/camera would see. But who could do that? I'd be so bloody bored with myself inside twenty minutes I'd have to lay down to get over it.

The entertainment industry is full of sad dark stories below a thin veneer of glamour.

But the good ones sure can entertain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2023, 02:30 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Having met a few movie actors, yeah, the good ones are generally very intelligent. To get to where they are considered for the top roles, they have to navigate minefields and roadblocks, emerge on top and be able to deliver what is wanted/needed. One hit wonders may just have been lucky, but those with a growing filmography have serious smarts.
I would say that Ashton Kutcher is very intelligent but not a very good actor—excellent at making money however just as Ryan Reynolds is—Reynolds I rank as a better actor in comedy and dramatic roles

Old 03-20-2023, 02:11 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,146,203 times
They have to be certain kinds of intelligent to perform well- being able to memorize their lines, being able to take direction.

Old 03-20-2023, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyLark2019 View Post
They have to be certain kinds of intelligent to perform well- being able to memorize their lines, being able to take direction.
But don’t you think the fact that they GET direction pretty much cuts down on the IQ required?
And a stage actor certainly needs the ability to memorize but film/tv actors can use cue cards, even wear earphone and have lines given to them—and takes are often very short so they might only have to give lines of 4-5 words—-

I am reading the Diaries of Alan Rickman, the actor who played Gruber in “Die Hard” and was in Harry Potter—
He acted with some people who (from his comments) were not able to remember lines of 3-4 words at time
Very frustrating for him who had gone to the trouble to memorize HIS lines
They also forgot where they were supposed to stand/move/do…

Old 03-21-2023, 02:45 PM

6,340 posts, read 4,892,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
I think some individuals are super smart. Like Kevin Costner invented some type of water filtration system to separate oil from water. But he's the only one I know of who has done something like this. I'm sure there must be others.
Costner bought the patent from the Department of Energy and spent millions developing it.

Hedy Lamarr has already been mentioned for her patented frequency hopping device.

Another celebrity inventor that comes to mind is Paul Winchell. Ventriloquist with Jerry Mahoney), actor, comedian, host of childrens' TV shows of the 1950s and 1960s. He developed and patented an artificial heart in 1963 and has several other patents to his name.

Other celebrities with patents are on the following list:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...rity_inventors

Old 03-21-2023, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
Costner bought the patent from the Department of Energy and spent millions developing it.

Hedy Lamarr has already been mentioned for her patented frequency hopping device.

Another celebrity inventor that comes to mind is Paul Winchell. Ventriloquist with Jerry Mahoney), actor, comedian, host of childrens' TV shows of the 1950s and 1960s. He developed and patented an artificial heart in 1963 and has several other patents to his name.

Other celebrities with patents are on the following list:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...rity_inventors
Ryan Reynolds just sold Mint—his phone company—for a nice chunk of change
George Clooney sold Casamigos (w/2 partners) for $1billion
Here is list of other actors who are entrepreneurs who have created wealth outside their acting
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...preneurs-2022/

Jessica Alba is not someone I would immediately think is high IQ but she has a tidy little business mind

Old 03-21-2023, 04:52 PM

10,988 posts, read 6,852,461 times
Thanks for those posts showing that many celebrities are actually quite brilliant and have made significant contributions to society.

Too many people think that it takes nothing to get ahead in Hollywood. The numbers of extremely talented individuals working in the industry prove otherwise. Of course, many people will refuse to believe it because of all the glitz and hype.

Old 03-24-2023, 12:57 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,146,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
But don’t you think the fact that they GET direction pretty much cuts down on the IQ required?
And a stage actor certainly needs the ability to memorize but film/tv actors can use cue cards, even wear earphone and have lines given to them—and takes are often very short so they might only have to give lines of 4-5 words—-

I am reading the Diaries of Alan Rickman, the actor who played Gruber in “Die Hard” and was in Harry Potter—
He acted with some people who (from his comments) were not able to remember lines of 3-4 words at time
Very frustrating for him who had gone to the trouble to memorize HIS lines
They also forgot where they were supposed to stand/move/do…
Theater culture in the United Kingdom is very distinct.

Fun trivia- in old TV and movie productions with actors who started in theater, many of them are a bit louder and more expressive with body language on camera. (A carried-over skill from stage acting.)

I don't want to get too specific but after getting to socialize with people who have worked in TV and film production, I felt sorry for most people who work on TV series or movie sets. The days are long, the takes are often endless, and for some the pay is not that great.

The late Mr. Rickman just sounded like a very focused professional. I enjoyed his work and found his hot takes on the Harry Potter movies to be cute.

Old 05-18-2023, 10:04 PM

17,538 posts, read 13,324,825 times
Actors are like everyone else. They all put their shoes on one at a time

Some are brilliant. Some are just smart. And the bulk of them are dumb as a box of rocks, except they can (sometimes) remember lines or read a teleprompter

Old 05-25-2023, 06:44 PM

1,375 posts, read 1,199,915 times
The writers are brilliant. The actors/actresses are empty shells. Just listen to how stupid most of them sound when they are out of character on talk shows or award shows - pretending like anyone who watches them on TV has any reason to want to their opinion on politics, government or human relations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts