Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2022, 01:42 PM

11,001 posts, read 6,865,758 times

Advertisements

I've been thinking about this issue ever since watching Johnny Depp closely during his recent trial, and also, listening to him in interviews on YouTube videos explain his acting techniques and how he embodied various characters. I found it fascinating. I came to the conclusion that he is highly intelligent, and has a very high emotional quotient as well (compassion, intuition, suspension of reality).

There are so many remarkable actors (both genders) and I think they were likely very intelligent too.

The entertainment world is full of drugs so it's easy to fall into that. But I've also noticed in my personal life that highly intelligent people get bored easily and often like to have altered experiences. I started noticing this back in the days of psychedelics (LSD, mushrooms, etc.) I think that's what people like Johnny Depp end up doing -- along with trying to numb out negative experiences (that's an issue for a different thread).

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2022, 03:42 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,131,933 times
I doubt that will be proven one way or another, but I would suspect a big mix. Most celebrities with an average or low IQ would never let it be known publicly. Those with a high IQ might, but there are probably no such studies being done. If I had to guess, I would expect that the more versatile that can portray a variety of character types, such as Tom Hanks, Meryl Streep, and yes, Johnny Depp are very intelligent.
Those that spend their career portraying the same character type, could be anywhere on the intelligence scale. I suppose it does take a certain amount of intelligence just to be able to memorize one's lines.

Old 07-09-2022, 01:08 AM

44,623 posts, read 61,597,128 times
Do you think great actors are highly intelligent?

No, they just act like they are.

Old 07-11-2022, 07:23 AM

2,912 posts, read 2,046,464 times
Isn’t Mayim Balik (sp) from Blossom, The Big Bang Theory and Jeapordy a "genius" with a PhD? Well at least she is "book smart" I guess.

Last edited by Remington Steel; 07-11-2022 at 07:46 AM..

Old 07-11-2022, 07:30 AM

I just think that it takes a lot more to be a good actor, or an excellent one. People don't realize how difficult it is. It can be learned somewhat, but most of the excellent actors are a natural at it. And to me it seems they have not a small degree of intelligence. A lot of actors research roles and interview subjects, then apply that information to approaching the role.

Some actors, like Johnny Depp or Jim Carrey (who I think is under rated as an actor) have the ability to embody their character. I loved Carrey in The Truman Show and especially, The Majestic. There are so many other actors who, when I've seen them interviewed appear to have a high degree of intelligence.

It's great that actors are doing podcasts now because to get material that is far beyond the fluff of mainstream media/media junkets.

Old 07-11-2022, 07:44 AM

19,802 posts, read 9,345,163 times
I think so. I have seen interviews with many Academy Award winning actors, and as a group, they seem VERY intelligent to me.

Old 07-11-2022, 07:30 PM

23,591 posts, read 70,383,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
I've been thinking about this issue ever since watching Johnny Depp closely during his recent trial, and also, listening to him in interviews on YouTube videos explain his acting techniques and how he embodied various characters. I found it fascinating. I came to the conclusion that he is highly intelligent, and has a very high emotional quotient as well (compassion, intuition, suspension of reality).

There are so many remarkable actors (both genders) and I think they were likely very intelligent too.

The entertainment world is full of drugs so it's easy to fall into that. But I've also noticed in my personal life that highly intelligent people get bored easily and often like to have altered experiences. I started noticing this back in the days of psychedelics (LSD, mushrooms, etc.) I think that's what people like Johnny Depp end up doing -- along with trying to numb out negative experiences (that's an issue for a different thread).

What do you think?
Having met a few movie actors, yeah, the good ones are generally very intelligent. To get to where they are considered for the top roles, they have to navigate minefields and roadblocks, emerge on top and be able to deliver what is wanted/needed. One hit wonders may just have been lucky, but those with a growing filmography have serious smarts.

Old 07-11-2022, 07:46 PM

Yes, I don't see how they could not be.

I just watched Miss Potter today which popped up on YouTube while I was recuperating on the couch. What a delightful movie. Renee Zellweger is a first-rate actress. I have yet to see her film about Judy Garland.

I also watched a documentary on YouTube that popped up about Paul Newman. What an amazing actor and man. All the history and the old clips of his movies and interviews were really interesting.

Really, so many actors are amazing, too numerous to mention. I once knew a woman who has a master's in theater arts. She now works in the industry as a talent agent. But even people at her level (bit parts) are truly amazing at what they do. So much nuance to expressions, voice inflection and body language. Some come by it naturally.

Old 07-13-2022, 10:29 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,184,833 times
The late Robert Forster (Jackie Brown, Breaking Bad, Twin Peaks: The Return) was a member of the high-IQ (99.9th percentile) Triple Nine Society.

Old 07-13-2022, 10:34 AM

I can see why Vince Gilligan would want Robert Forster in Breaking Bad. Gilligan is probably in the 99.9th percentile himself. I bet Forster loved playing the vacuum cleaner guy with an unusual and obscure side gig (main gig?!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts