Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2022, 07:27 PM

10,619 posts, read 5,474,803 times

Advertisements

First, sex sells.

Second, women's fashion has always differed from men. A new woman in shorts or a skirt showing legs is normal. A news man in shorts would be considered very strange, unless he was covering sports and partipating somehow, or some similar reason.

Female anchors have had exposed shoulders for eons. A male anchor would look like a slob doing so.

Maybe the OP is only used to very modern unisex fashion in urban centers, and not familiar with historic fashion differnences over the past 250 years between males and females.

Old 08-14-2022, 09:45 PM

61,020 posts, read 85,838,736 times
Quite revealing

Some dresses are so short, you almost can see their undies.

Oh, wait - you actually CAN see them

https://reporter101.blogspot.com/201...adies.html?m=1

Mexico news sexualized them even more.

Old 08-14-2022, 10:52 PM

688 posts, read 616,685 times
You see it happening in sports too.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/sports/...kinis-n1274453

Old 08-15-2022, 05:29 AM

2,116 posts, read 6,778,347 times
I'm ignoring ignorant remarks.

I guess this says it all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
According to researchers:
“Emphasis on the sexual attractiveness of female news anchors distracts from memory formation for news content: men’s cognitive mechanisms favored visual over verbal processing”
I can understand that 30-40 years ago, but NOW??? Come on. My point is simply, it's not fair that men have ONE choice of outfit while women can wear almost anything (and yes I understand they are not picking the outfits). My husband and I watch 6 different news channels and internationally, yes it's considerably better clothing. Local channels are not impressive.

Old 08-15-2022, 08:55 AM

15,792 posts, read 6,856,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevil View Post
I don't like how female reporters/newscasters can pretty much wear anything but men have strict rules - it seems men can only wear one style of shirt, but more often suits only. Perhaps in certain companies or countries there are stricter rules for women. But if a man can't wear a sleeveless shirt, a woman shouldn't be allowed either, nor should women accentuate their breasts in any way or show cleavage. It's just not professional. Is the whole point to entice men to watch? Do they seriously think men are that shallow, that they won't watch a professionally dressed woman tell the news? Just something that has irked me for years. Interested in men's POV.
This whole post is shallow thinking. Maybe both men and women should be made to wear burkhas and only show their face so they can report. And men should all shave and not exhibit their facial hair.

Old 08-15-2022, 09:12 AM

19,360 posts, read 12,012,138 times
Quote:

I can understand that 30-40 years ago, but NOW??? Come on. My point is simply, it's not fair that men have ONE choice of outfit while women can wear almost anything (and yes I understand they are not picking the outfits). My husband and I watch 6 different news channels and internationally, yes it's considerably better clothing. Local channels are not impressive.
You are absolutely right. Men still look normal and professional for the most part and women look like they are going to club or cocktail party. Although there was a time in the 1970s when male news anchors had some wild style, I'd say the women looked more professional then. Now however the style is blatantly sexualized for women. This type of style has been normalized as work wear in the everyday workplace too.

We had one local news anchor who had incredible style, I was so impressed I wrote the station. She was classy as it comes and also right up to date. I got some good ideas for professional clothing from her. She left the profession and I miss her as she was also a great speaker. The new anchors have annoying voices and use vocal fry and dress in club wear- remember they report tragedies too. Two children killed in fire - oh but check out my cleavage and teenage girl voice.

Old 08-15-2022, 09:12 AM

1,110 posts, read 886,700 times
Quote:
I don't like how female reporters/newscasters can pretty much wear anything but men have strict rules - it seems men can only wear one style of shirt, but more often suits only. Perhaps in certain companies or countries there are stricter rules for women. But if a man can't wear a sleeveless shirt, a woman shouldn't be allowed either, nor should women accentuate their breasts in any way or show cleavage. It's just not professional. Is the whole point to entice men to watch? Do they seriously think men are that shallow, that they won't watch a professionally dressed woman tell the news? Just something that has irked me for years. Interested in men's POV.
I was just saying this to hubs recently. Why is it that men cannot wear a wifebeater, t-shirt, Hawaiian shirt or other casual attire on air, but women can wear club attire, beachwear or other casual dress? What happened to dress standards? And don't get me started on extreme makeup and Farah Faucett hairdos...

Old 08-15-2022, 10:18 AM

102,052 posts, read 106,836,948 times
Shorts? Beachwear?? Some of you are exaggerating, right? (Please say "yes"!) We're talking about news anchors, right? Not "weather girl" or "Wheel Of Fortune" entertainers, right?

Old 08-15-2022, 10:40 AM

5,562 posts, read 2,996,216 times
Quote:
Ummm...well...yeah.

Are you familiar with the Eagles "Dirty Laundry" song? One of the lines is "We got the bubble-headed bleached-blonde, comes on at five
She can tell you 'bout the plane crash with a gleam in her eye
It's interesting when people die
Give us dirty laundry

And yes, some of the ladies dress to accentuate their best features.

Old 08-15-2022, 01:04 PM

23,377 posts, read 13,645,751 times
Quote:
Oh, please! Remember, they are trying to get you to watch, trying to draw you into the show, errrr, presentation. If the women are not willingly accenting their breasts, you better believe the production team will find a way. That is what video media is all about. Consider:

[on her role on Maude (1972)]: If the producers needed information in a scene, my character was the one to do it. What I didn't know is that when I said those things, I was usually walking down a flight of stairs and no one was even listening to me. They were just watching my breasts precede me. (Adrienne Barbeau, IMDB).

Or look at the poster for "I know what you did last summer".

I no more expect professional appearance from TV news than....professional journalism.
Quote:

Is it fair? What is fair?

How long can Men remain infront of the camera? How long can Women remain infront of the camera? If there is a scandal, if the ax is to fall, who is going to get it (ie, Laura G. on Primero Noticias https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laura_G )
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm0484 View Post
I was just saying this to hubs recently. Why is it that men cannot wear a wifebeater, t-shirt, Hawaiian shirt or other casual attire on air, but women can wear club attire, beachwear or other casual dress? What happened to dress standards? And don't get me started on extreme makeup and Farah Faucett hairdos...
It's obvious you don't watch Primero Noticias when Soccer championships are playing........or perhaps, don't watch them at all.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 08-15-2022 at 01:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts