Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2023, 03:02 PM

17,376 posts, read 14,906,688 times

Advertisements

We have a local comedy club.. 20 years ago, there was one located about a block from my house..

I would go every weekend, pretty much, and.. Saw some REALLY funny comics that.. I had just never heard of before.

Now, you got the 'regulars' on the circuit like James Gregory and the like.. But.. Some guys came in there.. Like this guy.

https://www.facebook.com/EducatedRedneckDanEllison/

Had never heard of him before.. He did a great set. Adam Ace is another one.. Something of a 'prop' comic, but.. good show.

Now.. All that being said.. You get some stinkers, too. This past summer, we went to see Kevin Farley. Yeah.. Chris' brother. Not very good.

FWIW.. Farley wasn't.. Unfunny or anything.. But.. The guy looks and SOUNDS so much like his brother at times. You just catch the way he says something and.. instant depression thinking back to what we lost when Chris died. So.. Don't want to imply that Kevin Farley just isn't funny.. He's.. Not.. but it's not really his fault as to why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2023, 12:10 PM

19,213 posts, read 15,077,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
Have you seen "Only Murders In The Building"? I can't convince you to like him lol but I think you will find him more palatable in that. Steve Martin, Martin Short, Selena Gomez....and many big guest stars. The weird part is I've seen a lot of people here say they don't care for Amy Schumer, which I don't either, but she is one of the guest stars in a couple of episodes of "Murders".

I mentioned somewhere in this thread who I don't find funny, can't remember who I said now lol. I agree with the other posters that most of the comedians these days are painful to watch, or so vulgar it is impossible to watch. One that I used to love was Ron White, but he got really disgusting and gross. He retired I think, he needed to.
It was Kevin Hart. Post #60:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
Kevin Hart, I don't get it.

Old 10-19-2023, 02:14 PM

17,994 posts, read 11,685,610 times
The one famous well-known actor whom I never can get his face out of my head. The expressions: wide-open verbal expressions and the grammatical construction of Jim Carey.

I already know it's supposed to be humourous and it's classified as "Comedy" but it's just not working for me.
Maybe it's "Just me?"

Old 10-21-2023, 06:46 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,557,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
It was Kevin Hart. Post #60:
I still don't understand his "Comedic appeal".

Old 10-23-2023, 11:48 AM

1,603 posts, read 718,092 times
Jeff FoxWorthy
Tim Allen
Larry The Cable Guy
Amy Schumer

^^ Not funny, never been funny. Good to watch if you need a good snooze.

Old 10-23-2023, 07:02 PM

5,865 posts, read 3,744,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerlingHitchcockJPeele View Post
Jeff FoxWorthy
Tim Allen
Larry The Cable Guy
Amy Schumer

^^ Not funny, never been funny. Good to watch if you need a good snooze.
Jeff was funnier where I live because the rednecks here could relate. A few of his "you might be a redneck" jokes are funny because they are so freaking true. Now, it's just played out. Other than that I didn't see the appeal. Tim I liked on Home Improvement but the most recent show kind of blew. Larry and Amy.......Larry is funny as Mater in the kids movie "Cars", otherwise, no. Amy, what can we say about Amy. How about nothing.

BTW, love the screenname, one of a kind. Some won't get it.

Old 10-26-2023, 09:05 PM

17,875 posts, read 27,267,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
Steven Wright

Ooh I'm sorry, we can't be friends.

For me, Lucille Ball.

Those gals in Bridesmaids, the best. That Kirsty Wiig and her friend Maya Rudolph, funny. The rest of snl modern day, a NO for me.

Steve Martin, always loved his early standup, talent galore, loved The Jerk, Lonely Guy, even Man with Two Brains. Although not funny, his work in Parenthood, straight-up crossover to acting genius, and it happened when he was experiencing the importance of Grandma, if you've ever seen the flick.

Woody Allen, awful, but brilliant in Sleeper and a scene in Take the Money and Run.

Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor, the gold standard. Silver Streak was awesome.

Last edited by McGowdog; 10-26-2023 at 09:42 PM..

Old 10-27-2023, 09:36 AM

17,376 posts, read 14,906,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Ooh I'm sorry, we can't be friends.

For me, Lucille Ball.

Those gals in Bridesmaids, the best. That Kirsty Wiig and her friend Maya Rudolph, funny. The rest of snl modern day, a NO for me.

Steve Martin, always loved his early standup, talent galore, loved The Jerk, Lonely Guy, even Man with Two Brains. Although not funny, his work in Parenthood, straight-up crossover to acting genius, and it happened when he was experiencing the importance of Grandma, if you've ever seen the flick.

Woody Allen, awful, but brilliant in Sleeper and a scene in Take the Money and Run.

Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor, the gold standard. Silver Streak was awesome.

So.. I have a question.

What's your feeling on the Stooges? It seems to me if you don't like Lucy's humor.. Then.. You probably don't care for the Stooges, either?

Old 10-27-2023, 11:28 PM

17,875 posts, read 27,267,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
So.. I have a question.

What's your feeling on the Stooges? It seems to me if you don't like Lucy's humor.. Then.. You probably don't care for the Stooges, either?
Hate the stooges, but tried to watch, commonly with Our Gang.

Only liked two characters on that one, Stymie and Peedee, the dog. Stymie fooled another kid eggs could talk. Anyone remember that one?

Old 10-30-2023, 06:22 PM

14,635 posts, read 14,497,538 times
I’ll post the obvious one: Jeff Dunham. To the person who said Jay Leno has never been funny, that’s untrue. He was very funny in the 1980s before the Tonight Show, but I think success watered him down too much. That, and his ego was too large.

Jerry Seinfeld…the show was great, but his stand-up wasn’t (and still isn’t). Also a massive ego that is tough to ignore.

Amy Schumer? Yeah…probably the worst comedian of the 21st century so far. It doesn’t help that she’s a very unlikeable person too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts