Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 05:37 PM

737 posts, read 1,036,347 times

Advertisements

Ever try to find a particular scene on a vhs? Hey what about 8 track over cassettes? Besides, a kid can't put a peanut-butter sandwich in a DVD player!

Old 12-18-2013, 01:40 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,119,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder27 View Post
I used to think so, but IM really not sure
Especially with older films

Im sorry, but DVD pictures are nowhere near as natural looking or natural sounding.

On Action films- sometimes when the scene moves fast, it pixelates too much.

Also sometimes the color and the film looks watery.

VHS tapes just have a more natural warmer picture and sound. Yes, I do realize that VHS tapes can wear out- but guess what- so can DVDs.

I have Audio CDs and after so many years, some of them are not playable because the laser cant read the discs.

I know some people with older DVDs who admit having problems getting them to play.

I think that VHS tapes are really better picture overall. I know most people will disagree with me, but thats how I feel.
VHS tapes look far inferior to DVD, sorry. I noticed it even on our old analog TV years ago. However, I have seen some DVDs that suffer from over-compression to the point where sticking a VHS tape into my ancient VCR wouldn't hurt any. The flaws of VHS and DVD can't really be compared, though. DVD has more resolution, while VHS doesn't suffer from the macroblocking and other digital artifacts that DVDs, especially older DVDs, suffered from.

I don't think DVD has a set bitrate. I have one DVD with three movies on it, and yes, it's awful. However, as long as you don't put over two or so hours on a DVD, their overall quality well exceeds that of VHS.

Blu-Ray is a whole different story. It's by far the best quality I've seen yet, and players are available for $100 which usually connect to the internet and allow for Netflix, Hulu, etc. streaming as well. Blu-Ray has a more-or-less constant bitrate of 28 mbps, in the more efficient MPEG-4 format, vs. 4 or 5 mbps for DVD in the far less efficient, actually antiquated MPEG-2 format.

Old 12-26-2013, 08:49 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,825,030 times
No way. They both have their good points, but VHS still wins with me any day.

Old 12-28-2013, 04:17 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,486,336 times
This has been beat to death. And since this was revived with a post that had to be deleted I am closing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts