Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 10:24 AM

2,464 posts, read 6,468,836 times

Advertisements

I'm sure the city of Los Angeles has never made a dime off of the existence of MJ for the past... what... 4 decades? An MJ/Jackson record was never taxed by the City of Los Angeles in this time frame? Okay. I see the objectivity in this thread....

There are several things to take into consideration besides a one time expense that L.A. voluntarily is picking up. For one, don't assume that the fans etc. are not from L.A. or from the L.A. area - who could/may be in fact, L.A. Tax Payers. I for one, attended the MJ memorial service, AND I own a business in the City L.A., in addition, I pay property taxes there as well. The memorial service was paid in part by my own tax dollars and I believe I finally got my money's worth from L.A. Not to mention, the money that was dropped on businesses by visitors/tourist/etc... that came about from the Jackson Memorial (hotel accommodations, food services, etc.) which was desperately needed here.

Also, the financial situation in the city is due to the recession and it's OWN actions (but I won't get into that here).

They also plan for unexpected events where police officers are needed. Having had actually been there - I believe they overreacted to the expected crowds for the city - there were WAY more Police Officers than I've ever seen... at any event - both when I picked up my tickets and for the event itself. Knowing L.A. - as usual - the event was probably made more costly by the city of L.A. than was needed... but yet, some expect the Jacksons to pay for that waste. I could see a portion of it, but not all. The Jacksons did a kind service for us - his fans and the city - by allowing us to partake in this memorial event.

Please don't speak on my behalf as an L.A. Taxpayer... because I don't agree with those who want to throw around the term "at the expense of taxpayers." I am the tax payer and I think the City of L.A. did the right thing by picking up the tab related to keeping social order... which is their responsibility.

I'm not really sure why people are so concerned about the city of L.A.'s finances when they don't even live/work/own property there (or even in the State of CA). I guess this is just another opportunity for some people to bash on MJ. Haters.

MJ - RIP

Last edited by mommabear2; 07-15-2009 at 10:33 AM..

Old 07-15-2009, 04:19 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times
Thread Closed.
Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts