Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 09:36 AM

137 posts, read 145,282 times

Advertisements

This chart compares spendings between teenagers and adults.
It shows so clearly that indeed priorities change.
Adults end up sacrificing their fun moments and clothing passion for more valuable things, such as time (thus the car expenditures increase) .

//www.city-data.com/forum/attac...1&d=1449073944
Attached Thumbnails
Adults forget to have fun-spendings-adults-vs-teenagers.png  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2015, 02:08 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,337,189 times
Does clothing equal fun?

Old 12-06-2015, 11:05 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,050,766 times
Figures seem irrational. Teens spend more than adults on concerts and events? How much can a teen afford to spend on these? Most concert seats are a least $100 now. Comic-Con and other conventions are even more costly. Disneyland ad amusement parks are $75 and up. A pro spots team ticket is sky high. And nightclubs are for adults over 21.

Need to see the source link where this chart came from.

Old 12-08-2015, 01:08 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,990,747 times
I don't FORGET to have fun. But my idea of fun has changed since having a family. You (supposedly) get that "freedom" back once they've all left the nest...until the grandchildren come. That's just life for the average person. Unless you're very wealthy, you make sacrifices and take pleasures in the little things.

Old 12-08-2015, 01:48 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,907,427 times
I think the OP and I have different ideas of what is "fun."

Some might see spending on clothing as "fun" while some categorize that as "necessity."
Is a car fun or a necessity?
Even personal care can be seen differently--is this buying shampoo and razors at Walmart, or going to a salon for a mani/pedi?
I consider buying a new piece of furniture "fun"

I don't see how the graph relates at all to the title of the thread (adults forgetting how to have fun).

...and of course the percentage of spending on "fun" for a teen will be higher than the percentage of spending for "fun" for an adult. We adults have a lot of non-"fun" necessities to spend money on (house, utilities) and the teens mostly have someone else paying this.

Old 12-11-2015, 09:18 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,337,189 times
I thought I was having fun with music.

Old 12-11-2015, 10:45 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,315,264 times
Priorities=responsibilities

Teens=little responsibility
Adults= huge responsibility

Old 12-11-2015, 02:35 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,812,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I think the OP and I have different ideas of what is "fun."

Some might see spending on clothing as "fun" while some categorize that as "necessity."
Is a car fun or a necessity?
Even personal care can be seen differently--is this buying shampoo and razors at Walmart, or going to a salon for a mani/pedi?
I consider buying a new piece of furniture "fun"

I don't see how the graph relates at all to the title of the thread (adults forgetting how to have fun).

...and of course the percentage of spending on "fun" for a teen will be higher than the percentage of spending for "fun" for an adult. We adults have a lot of non-"fun" necessities to spend money on (house, utilities) and the teens mostly have someone else paying this.

Yup I hate buying clothes. I'll buy what I want to wear but hate doing it...nothing fun about it.

Also well of course you spend more on a car than something like video games. A car's expensive so for the price of one car you can get a trash bag of video games. This graph says nothing.

Old 12-13-2015, 05:44 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,821,329 times
The premise of this thread is absurd.

Teens spend a disproportionate amount of money on 'fun' because a teen can allocate much to all of their budget on fun - for the very reason that someone else is paying for the necessities like a the mortgage and the electric bill and the cell phone and so forth. So a teen works part-time flipping burgers or stocking shelves and gets to spend half their paycheck (or maybe all, if they're not into saving) at the mall and going to movies and concerts and buying 'fun' clothes (whatever those are).

It's not that adults forgot anything - it's that they no longer have someone coddling them, and so they have to take care of the big things first.

And there's also the fact that adults decide that having a family and a career and owning a home are more satisfying that hanging out with Shelly and Boomer at the food court every other evening.

I didn't forget how to have fun - I just found a lot of things that are more interesting than the pedestrian silliness of your average teenager. Not that there's anything wrong with what they do, it's just that normal people are content to stop doing it eventually and move on to more compelling aspects of life.

Old 12-17-2015, 10:41 AM

589 posts, read 696,656 times
Why are we comparing teens to adults when it comes to having fun? Teens can only have so much fun because adults are doing all the hard work supporting them and their almost carefree lifestyle.

Last edited by Den0190; 12-17-2015 at 12:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts