Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2009, 06:27 PM

3,219 posts, read 7,082,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
political correctness got in the way of the great cartoons.
I remember when the networks banned Looney Tunes because it was "too violent" (you know, Elmer Fudd pointing a shotgun at Bugs), so they replaced it with RoboCop in the timeslot, which was filled with non-stop shooting and killing and blood and guts.

That's when I stopped watching cartoons (until South Park came along).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 01:11 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,525,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Summers View Post
First of all, I was born in 86 and wasn't into cartoons until 1991 (I was looking at Sesame Street before toons), so I grew up in one of the best eras of cartoon viewing. I elementary school quality cartoons started at 6:30am to about 9, 2pm to about 4:30. I remember getting early on Saturday/Sunday morning at around 6am just to watch quality toons until about 12pm (or at least tape it). Some of my favorites were X-Men (TAS 92-97), Spider Man (TAS 94-98), Batman (TAS 92-95), Gargoyels (94-97), Tiny Tune Adventures (90-95), Eek! The Cat (92-97), Pinky and The Brain (95-98), Beast Wars (96-99), Darkwing Duck (91-92), and a bunch of other great shows. I understand that the 80s had some quality classics too. Sadly, I stopped looking at cartoons when I started high school in 02 because they were all garbage and the animation sucked big time. I feel sorry for the kids growing up today because, what little stuff they have to watch is brainless. I actually can't believe I'm doing a "When I was a kid", thread but if you have any toons that you loved growing up, lets hear it.
I agree with you but I watched cartoons in the mid sixties to late sixties. We were in the "RED" scare era...Sputnik...Nuclear Weapons...The Space Race.

We watched: Birdman, The Fantastic Four,Johnny Quest, Space Ghost etc....... The BEST cartoon then and now, in my opinion....is THE HERCULOIDS. They each had unique powers; but it was the way they worked as a team that made it special....
YouTube - The Herculoids tv cartoon opening Now that's entertainment! .

Old 11-13-2009, 05:14 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,525,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
The "newer" cartoons I'm watching are Ben 10 and X-Men: Evolution. I also watch Superman, Batman, Silver Surfer, Fantastic Four, The Avengers, The Incredible Hulk, Iron Man, and Static Shock but the problem I'm running into is "reruns". I don't want to watch the same cartoon I've already seen twice.
I forgot...the new Ironman cartoon is pretty good....

Old 11-14-2009, 05:51 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
I'm not sure about the Spectacular Spiderman cartoon that they have out. They have "Spidey" at a bit of a younger age than I'm used to seeing him. He's "maybe" 16?...but sometimes it seems like he's supposed to be 14.

Old 11-14-2009, 05:58 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,189,652 times
I liked the cartoons from the '40s, '50s, and '60s.

Roger Ramjet
Hercules (the '50s version)
Droopy
Quick-Draw McGraw
Bullwinkle, Sherman et al
Tennessee Tuxedo
Mighty Mouse
Caspar the Friendly Ghost
Heckell and Jeckell
Woody Woodpecker
Yogi
Touchet Turtle
And of course, the kings--Looney Tunes up through the '60s.

Old 11-16-2009, 08:32 AM

1,619 posts, read 2,734,462 times
Cartoon Network is bringing back Loony Tunes. Yes Loony Tunes. They had a marathon yesterday and they are televising it monday through friday at 11am. I don't know how long it will last but i am watching it. I saw most of the marathon yesterday. Classics

Old 11-18-2009, 09:55 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff 11 View Post
Cartoon Network is bringing back Loony Tunes. Yes Loony Tunes. They had a marathon yesterday and they are televising it monday through friday at 11am. I don't know how long it will last but i am watching it. I saw most of the marathon yesterday. Classics
I watched it with my son lol I was hoping they would show Taz while we were watching but I didn't see him

Old 11-19-2009, 10:17 AM

1,619 posts, read 2,734,462 times
yeah like almost all were Bugs Bunny, or Daffy, or road Runner with Coyote. i waited like 2 hours for Yosemete Sam. But i don't care as long as they brought the classics back

Old 11-19-2009, 07:58 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,400,337 times
My kids love the older cartoons: Looney Tunes, Disney shorts, Tom & Jerry

and Spongebob (which IS pretty funny, not that my kids get most of the humor.)

My two are addicted to Disney's "Building a Building" which is a black & white cartoon created in the 30s! Same with Disney's "Santa's Workshop". It amazes me how they become transfixed when watching those two!

Old 11-20-2009, 06:02 AM

19,517 posts, read 9,540,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
I liked the cartoons from the '40s, '50s, and '60s.

Roger Ramjet
Hercules (the '50s version)
Droopy
Quick-Draw McGraw
Bullwinkle, Sherman et al
Tennessee Tuxedo
Mighty Mouse
Caspar the Friendly Ghost
Heckell and Jeckell
Woody Woodpecker
Yogi
Touchet Turtle
And of course, the kings--Looney Tunes up through the '60s.
Ditto that
I can't get into that Japanese animine stuff.
Don't mind Spongebob or Darkwing Duck on occasion.
My oldie faves were Mighty Mouse, Bullwinkle, Caspar, the friendly ghost, Heckle an d Jeckyl, Yogi the bear, I know there's plenty others but the names are blanking me out right now. RRRgghhh
Good to hear the Looney Tunes classics have returned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts