Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 08:15 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,154,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyblythe View Post
These ideas would probably have a snowball's chance in Hades with network execs in today's TV climate but here goes:

• A show along the lines of "The Waltons" or "Anne of Green Gables" set in a rural area in the 1930's
  • A remake of "Life With Father" the old movie/TV series set in New York City around the turn of the 20th century
  • A series about an American adjusting to life abroad in a small town in the British isles filled with novel characters
  • A remake of a PBS BBC series in which two poor sisters begin sewing clothing to support themselves when their father dies and grow their business into a thriving design firm--- a great pre-WWI rags-to-riches story
  • A detective show with an older woman detective a la "Miss Marple" or a less sophisticated and dynamic Jessica Fletcher
  • A series based on Sue Grafton's "Kinsey Milhone"
  • A variety show with a great ensemble cast a la Carol Burnett. Music would be more old standards and much less contemporary stuff

I would love to see more older/senior characters in lead roles and more rurally based stories. I also like the era from the old west to the 1930's. There's not much I watch on TV these days.
Maybe you should elaborate on each and actually send them in. I love these ideas!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2009, 10:21 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,783,632 times
I would do a show called "Lucky Man". It would be about an average joe, named Joe Gluckeman, who wins the Lottery. He is announced as the winner and the media plays off his name calling him "Gluckeman the Lucky Man" He wins $1.5 million, which comes to about half that after taxes. He soon learns that this blessing also brings a curse with it.

The pilot would be about his winning the lottery, then spending half his net winnings before realizing that half the total is lost to taxes, thus leaving him without all that much money, but just enough to upgrade his home and cars and to start a business he always wanted to start.

With his money, he buys a nicer home than the tiny bungalow he has been living in, and he buys nice new cars for his wife and himsef, and then takes his family on a trip to Europe. Upon returning home, thinking he has a cool million in the bank, he learns that he only has $500,000 left after taxes, and has to downgrade his plans for the family business he wants to start. Not to worry, their lives have improved, Lucky Man can still start his business where the family can work together, and still have a couple hundred thousand in the bank to cover emergencies and future college expenses for the 2 kids.

But the problem is that now he is seen by everyone as a lottery winner and a millionaire. The whole small town they live in knows about his big win, and it is a curse. People are constantly coming out of the woodwork to try to get to someone in the family in order to get Lucky Man to help them out financially. None of them realize that most of the money is gone already and that Lucky Man, while having upgraded his life and starting a business, is not as super-rich as everyone thinks.

Each episode, a different wacky "long-lost relative" or "old friend" or other such mooch comes onto the scene and tries to mooch money from Lucky Man. Of course, since they are never up front about wanting money, they always go through an elaborate scheme to try to get Lucky Man to step up and offer them the money, not realizing that Lucky Man is not in a position to do so. Finally, after scheming and dropping hints, they get frustrated and ask Lucky flat out for money. Lucky then explains that he didn't win that much money, and the person doesn't believe him and gets angry. Lucky learns a lot about people each week, and how many people who seem "nice" at first are just putting on an act.

I think this sit-com plot is so stupid that it would probably be a very successful sit-com.

Old 10-17-2009, 08:57 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,474,533 times
Don't be surprised if one or two of these shows end up on TV and the original poster receives no credit. I have had 2 of my ideas stolen over the years by posting them on the internet. I won't name which one's but there was no it was a coincidence. Don't trust Hollywood. They get the big bucks. They don't wanna let anyone into their cash cult so why make it easier on them? Yes, I am a tad bitter.

Old 10-19-2009, 05:57 PM

24,392 posts, read 23,044,056 times
I have a couple of ideas that would make awesome movies. You try to contact certain people to pitch them ideas and they treat you like you have the plague. They won't listen to you unless you go through all the channels and get represented for fear of getting sued. You'd think there's be an easy way they could accept ideas and say" Your idea is awesome and we'll use it. Here's 50 grand to sign off and we'll take it from there."
I realize that they are protecting their jobs and probably good ideas and scripts are a dime a dozen but even still.

Old 10-23-2009, 06:42 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,154,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
Don't be surprised if one or two of these shows end up on TV and the original poster receives no credit. I have had 2 of my ideas stolen over the years by posting them on the internet. I won't name which one's but there was no it was a coincidence. Don't trust Hollywood. They get the big bucks. They don't wanna let anyone into their cash cult so why make it easier on them? Yes, I am a tad bitter.
I never thought of that possibility!!! You are probably correct!

Old 10-24-2009, 11:20 AM

250 posts, read 463,772 times
Not TV-related but related to the above posts about ideas getting "borrowed" by posting on the internet. It's probably been 4 or 5 years ago, but I jokingly posted on another forum about the fact that Bob Dylan had never released a Christmas album with the idea of Bob doing traditional Christmas tunes with his classic 60's vocal style. Well, guess who's released or is about to release a Christmas album?! I'm sure it's total coincidence but who knows? Anyway, not implying or putting the legend down at all - I think it's a great thing he has actually released a Christmas album - the post above just made me want to share this.

Old 10-24-2009, 09:47 PM

840 posts, read 2,085,417 times
Default Dont STEAL my Show :ok:

I have a Idea

Title: The Dells

Premise: Its a show about 5 kids 3 brothers and 2 sisters and their Mother. the three boys are the oldest and youngestand the 2 girls are younger and how they deal with their mother old drug addiction and how it affected their world.

Mother: Age:45 /she has been addicted to drug for many years. She is a functioning Addict who only put her kids in jeopardy every once in a while. she is really christain almost to the point of being fanatical. She loves her kids and cares about them alot, but her drug addiction is strong

Oldest Son: Age:31 /Established young man, who carries himself with pride, he understands what his mom goes through, but doesnt put himself in situations to get set up by his mom. He has a loving relationship with his longtime Girlfriend. He shares a Secret with his younger brother

Second Son: Age:20 In College working hard for his degree. He still stays at home with his mom and loves her very much but doesnt let her lifestyle deter him from his goals. He keeps no secret about himself from anyone, except for his lovelife. He has gotten a white girl pregnant and is sleeping with a gay boy. He Shares a secret with his brother

Oldest Daughter: Age 16 good child with bad attitude she doesnt get perfect grades but she gets good grades she has been with the same guy for years and now dealing with sex.

Second Daughter: Age 14 always in trouble for fighting or talking back she is very active and athletic but stays in trouble and out of school

Youngest Son Age 13 an Autistic child he is the reason the family has no secrets he is quiet and tame compared to the rest of the family but is not afraid to speak his mind. He is mixed and has a different father from the rest of the children

Second son girlfriend: Age 20 a nice girl has known the family for years has been dating the second son for a few months and became pregnant in the last few months. she lives with the family but have nice parents

I would for the show to be based in Atlanta centered around a lower middle class black family. I really want to it to touch on issues like addiction, homosexuality, promiscuity, and autism. I like shows with Narrators I think the Narrartor should be the first 4 children father who has been in jail for 10 years. There no black successful drama shows on Mainstream tv today so this could be a good show. I hope

I would love to see it on networks like CW, NBC, or even syndicated on BET

Old 10-25-2009, 10:25 AM

750 posts, read 2,275,970 times
How about a show about Nothing. We just go into NBC and we say we have an idea for a show and it's about Nothing.

Old 10-25-2009, 02:10 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,477,939 times
'If I Ruled the World'

A single woman keeps getting slammed to the ground by the entire world and keeps opening her mouth to be slammed even harder.

Finally she ROFLMAO and becomes a comedian.

I think that has been done--why do it again?

True story--my life. Born on '911' in Atlanta, GA--taught school and tried to enjoy life in the 70's, made some mistakes and please--when I called '911'--a few times about a matter in my home--I was finally arrested --disturbing the peace. Went to the court and they were fair and it happened again.

Nearly dead from unbelievable stress.

//www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...ome-music.html

Old 10-29-2009, 06:36 AM

3 posts, read 3,571 times
beginnings
how a story unfolds
Shades.

A lonely story of a shade off-set
who wanted only to find meaning within
The monotony of his town
sealed off from the world

So he declared! and woke up there!
chasing a shadow's beckoning
A lonely night sky, darkening the plumes
of the great Shadow Shroom Forest
Foreshadowing a lonely night
yet it was his plight
To seek flight from an angry horde
the Wargogs ward was to
Sink their teeth into his loneliness
but in his moment of duress a friend appeared before his eyes
in a flash of light so bright
it felt like a star had fallen...

And there it begins, a friendship is born
A brotherhood established
A destination known
But lo and behold what might get in his way
A deep desert canyon, with dry winds and heat waves
But our friends are determined
Whether by hunger or shame
To gain something higher
In the life they could make
To grow ever further, to find love and extinguish hate

Yet there was something awakened, on that day he was born
A spellbound child of the dusk, not of the dawn
And it kept in wait all these years for its fate
To consume all the colors without pity, love, or hate
For it was deeply...and incompletely set up so I will quickly shut up and let you contemplate my Story of Shades, which I promise will bring new meaning to the lives of our children.

Signing off for the second time because he tried to submit a completed rendition without considering the conditions required to enter an idea onto this forum. What I'm saying is I had wrote something different from this, but anyway, I'm not phased, just tired of trying to contain all these ambitions I have at my feet.

Charles Boyce
Soul Heir to the Tragic Tale of the Shade People
Coming Soon!
Book II
of the Dusk
Within which we'll see the seeds that lead to
Book I
of the Shadow
Always remembering there will be
Book III
of the Dawn
so don't question my mission! just give me permission to mass produce this vision.

Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts