Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 06:55 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,619,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeLaSalle View Post
Maybe you Ladies would enjoy "Burning Man"...?
I saw a travel program on this a while back, it sounded amazing and really quite an experience. It's in Nevada isn't it ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2007, 07:00 AM

923 posts, read 3,512,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I saw a travel program on this a while back, it sounded amazing and really quite an experience. It's in Nevada isn't it ?
yes...

I would love to spend some time in Oxford.

Old 05-19-2007, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolynkingsley View Post
I'm a writer living in the central Florida area. Orlando has a lot of cultural events. Rollins college puts on live plays and they have a writers forum that appers on local TV. Rolins is very involved in the arts. Some of our leading citizens in this country graduated there; Mr Rogers for one, remember him? As for playwrights I like Noel Coward and Author Miller, but I think my favorite is Neil Simon. Have to admit I've never watched one of his plays, but I've seen all of the films, that were adapted. I enjoy good art too. My favorite is Monet. I like his impressions. I've seen some beautiful work from our local artist. I once wrote features for the hometown paper on some of our local gentry. At least one was good enough to be listed (somewhere) as an American artist, something of an achievement I think
What kind of writing ? It does sound indeed as if oyur area is very culturally vibrant. I adore Arthur Miller, I think his plays are modern classics and will never date. One of my favourites is "All my Sons", absolutely brilliant. Neil Simon is also very good but I still prefer A Miller or Noel Coward.

Visual Art-Wise I love Bruegel, Rembrandt , De Hooch and my Hero Vermeer. I also Love Hieronymus Bosch , Renoir, Manet, Van Eyck, the Pre-Raphaelite movement in general , Hogarth, Seurat, Ingres, Millet, David, Goya, Morisot, amongst many, many others and of course the genius amongst geniuses Leonardo Da Vinci a prince amongst princes... Monet has never appealed to me , neither has Turner but taste is such a subjective thing... I can spend hours looking at one painting sometimes and I am so jealous of artistic people who can create Beauty as I am dreadful with my hands.

Old 05-19-2007, 07:19 AM

Quote:
yes...

I would love to spend some time in Oxford.
Oxford is soooooooooo Beautiful, I have lived there ( or nearby for over 18 years now ( with a 4 year break in Scotland and we pined all that time for our beloved city and county) and I still notice things I hadn't seen before ( a new gargoyle or architectural detail etc..) and I feel a life-time will never be enough for me to know all there is to know about it.
They say familiarity breeds contempt but I have not found this with Oxford, it amazes me, makes me feel humble and I always love to show people around, to make them appreciate this European treasure house. It is a small city and yet there is so much to see and learn. I fell deeply in love with it, first time I visited , so much so that I never went home ( France) and have never regretted it. I suffer from restlessness and would love to move around a bit ( I would love New England or Northern California for 3 or 4 years for example) but I cannot imagine ever not moving back there. Apart from my beloved other-half, Oxford is my soul-mate and I love it deeply, madly and passionately ! Sadly I see it being changed ( they call it progress, I call it wanton destruction) but I will always have this special bond with it.

If you ever come to Oxford, let me know and I would love to share some of its attractions and its beauty with you. I really mean that by the way, this is not a fake invitation. This goes for anybody else out there who wants a "local" to show them around!

Come and see for yourself !

Old 05-20-2007, 03:22 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
Quote:
Maybe you Ladies would enjoy "Burning Man"...?
heh
Maybe. I have a younger friend who used to attend regularly.
I might be too old to immerse myself in the world of Burning Man, though I think it's really a cool event.
I did okay at the Voodoo Music Experience in NOLA last fall, but Burning Man is a whole different situation.

Old 05-20-2007, 04:06 AM

656 posts, read 2,314,717 times
Even though I attended a juried art exhibition last Thursday, I must admit I hadn't been to a museum in a while. I'm not much for theater, but have been known to read Shakespeare among other pieces of classic literature. Operas tend to be drawn out and musicals too corny. Really, the most culture I soak up is when I draw.

Old 05-20-2007, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art1979 View Post
Even though I attended a juried art exhibition last Thursday, I must admit I hadn't been to a museum in a while. I'm not much for theater, but have been known to read Shakespeare among other pieces of classic literature. Operas tend to be drawn out and musicals too corny. Really, the most culture I soak up is when I draw.
Even better, if you can make your own art ! i envy you as I am utterly rubbish at it !

Old 05-31-2007, 08:33 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,179,956 times
I've spent several days in Oxford many years ago. I remember a pleasant evening in a pub called the Dagmar which had a great juke box and friendly people. I also liked the Dylan's bookstore where I bought 2 history books.
For years I've been interested in the off beat side of culture. I like things that once were called underground. I have only been to a live theater once to see "Pere Ubu", a play written by Alfred Jarry (1873-1907). Jarry has been one of the people I've admired for many years, sure would like to have met him.
I've been hooked on the philosophy of Nietzsche for more than 30 years. I've read books by Artaud, Sartre and Henry Miller. Although I am an American I rarely see American movies, suspecting that most are a waste of my time and money. I prefer French movies.
Several years ago I gave away my TV and don't miss it one bit. That certainly must make me a weirdo, how many Americans don't have a TV?
I listen to music on my stereo. I liked the Punk and New Wave music. I also listen to classical symphonies, various ethnic music, oldies, some jazz, and weird things that college stations play. My friends don't understand this because I'm 60. But I still like to hear the Sex Pistols followed by a Brahms symphony and then some songs by Bulgarian women's choirs.
Most people I know are stuck in the rut of 1 or 2 types of music only. I do feel sentimental at times and can appreicate Roger Whittacker or Frank Sinatra, then Iggy Pop and the Stooges, or even ABBA.
I've grown up in Chicago, but departed to live in Germany for almost 19 years. During that time I've made several trips to France and also visited England. I've admired the architecture of the countries I've seen and that has been very enriching.
I also remember enjoying a tasty meal of fish and chips in Scarborough.
In my spare time I paint, draw, or write. My preferences are for the strange and unusual. Much of the stuff I've written is like Dada or surrealism. For me this is important because I measure my life with these items. I've accummulated volumes of drawn and written material. For stimulus I rely on music and the works of various authors. The ordinary, such as TV and most movies, bring out the social critic in me.
Because of my unconventional tastes I rarely encounter anyone who would understand me. I have little interest to discuss sports, TV, gossip, or any subject that doesn't deal with ideas. Sometimes I think the best place for me to live is in a small house in the woods with no neighbors.

Old 06-01-2007, 03:13 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,224,415 times
Personally, I like theater, but prefer going to museums. I was spoiled by my old man, who would take us to the Oriental Museum, the Museum of Science and Industry and the Field Museum and the Art Institute in Chicago at least once every year. I was priveleged to see the Tutenkhamen (King Tut, buried in his jammies) exhibit when it was in Chicago.

My mother while we in England took us to Stratford-on-Avon for Shakespeare festivals. I visited Anne Hathaways cottage. My favorite place was, I think, Henley-on-Thames, where there was a model of the town built in a garden, and when you walked through the model and reached the model of the house holding the model, there was another model, containing the house with a smaller model, etc. What a hoot. We visited Blenheim Palace, Buckingham Palace (Christopher Robin, Their Changing the Guard at Buckingham Palace, Christopher Robin went down with Alice). Visited the Victoria and other museums in London, the walled city of Chester, and the Roman baths in Bath of course. Who would deprive their children of their heritage. History is everything. Arts, plays, music, accomplishments. Ignore it at your peril and revel in the majesty if you can.

Old 06-01-2007, 11:19 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Not sure if I've mentioned this before, but I play the viola in a local symphony orchestra... I've also done a lot of pit-work (theater), and totally love it! Unfortunately I'm under or on the stage most times, and rarely get to be part of the audience. But I do enjoy going to the SF Symphony once in a while, and seeing plays & musicals downtown. I also LOVE modern art exhibits, and going on my own photographic excursions... used to develop my own prints, but now I don't have access to a darkroom (or the time to invest). Geez, this is making want to be "cultural" more often!

Oh, and do I get points for being in a library 40 hours a week?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts