Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 12:27 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,625,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Who DOESN'T think Cook is a horrible comic?

He's right down there with Jamie Kennedy, Tom Green, and Larry the Cable Guy.

Say what! Larry the cable guy rules!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 12:42 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,928,219 times
Here's what happen. Dane Cook become insanely popular over a short period of time. He isn't the greatest comedian but his style was pretty much the same time Will Farrell was popular so that type of comedy was popular. So, he started acting and isn't a good actor. Due to this, people started to hate him since he was all over the place...he became oversaturated.

I'll be honest, I was in the Dane Cook sucks camp til a few months ago when I heard him on a couple of podcasts. He was pretty funny. Now, I don't think he sucks but he is a bit overrated. And yes, he knows people now hate him which is funny.

Old 04-14-2010, 12:52 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,497,388 times
No, actually I think he is quite funny. You definitely have to have a different sense of humor to find his stuff funny. If jokes about airline food crack you up, you will never enjoy DC.

Old 04-15-2010, 03:52 AM

5,419 posts, read 9,162,103 times
I find him pretty funny, but I can't listen to his specials more than once without becoming bored.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:18 AM

10,163 posts, read 20,702,778 times
I like him. There are lot's of comedians whose success just leaves me baffled. Guys like Ralphie May, Mitch Hedberg, Bill Hicks, Mike Myers, Jimmy Fallon, Mo'Nique, Gilbert Gottfried, and many others I just never found funny. I didn't see it. To each.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:33 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,596,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
I like him. There are lot's of comedians whose success just leaves me baffled. Guys like Ralphie May, Mitch Hedberg, Bill Hicks, Mike Myers, Jimmy Fallon, Mo'Nique, Gilbert Gottfried, and many others I just never found funny. I didn't see it. To each.
Really? The guy doesn't say one funny thing. He just stands there and tells boring stories that would leave most people completely bored even under normal circumstances. Oh well. You're right...to each their own.

Old 04-16-2010, 02:42 PM

10,163 posts, read 20,702,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post
Really? The guy doesn't say one funny thing. He just stands there and tells boring stories that would leave most people completely bored even under normal circumstances. Oh well. You're right...to each their own.
For me, what makes him funny is his delivery and inflection. Perhaps if someone else was delivering his material it wouldn't be as funny. But I think that's true of many comics.

Old 04-19-2010, 03:29 PM

150 posts, read 466,240 times
Dane Cook is not funny. Every fan of his I've ever known has been either a girl who thought he was soooooooo cuuuuuuuute!!!! or the type of guy who occupies his time with pursuing said girl.

Old 04-20-2010, 12:51 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,144,581 times

YouTube - Dane Cook Impression by Anthony Jeselnik - Part 3 of 3

Old 05-03-2010, 07:33 PM

268 posts, read 456,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post
Being from Boston I like to see locals with talent succeed in their careers (Jay Leno, Athony Michael Hall, etc.). But I have to say...I think Dane Cook is just awful. I'm bored with his routine within the first 2 minutes because he is not funny at all. He tells ridiculous stories that have no element of humor at all and yet people love the guy. I just don't get it. In all honesty, what makes this guy even remotely funny?
He's not funny. You are correct.

Some people will laugh at anything - maybe when he makes faces and changes inflection, it cues people with less sophisticated senses of humor so they know when to laugh. Sorta like monkey see, monkey do...horde mentality, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts