U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2010, 04:20 PM
jb3 jb3 started this thread

1 posts, read 1,635 times

Advertisements

My family is relocating to Eugene and I'm a little bit overwhelmed with trying to figure out which area/neighborhood we want to live in. I'd love to hear some suggestions from people familiar with the area.
What are some of the better neighborhoods for families with young children (preschool/early elem.)? We're pretty active, so I want a safe neighborhood where you see people out and about (where the kids can ride their bikes and we can walk to a park...). Good schools are important of course. Nearby running trails would be a big plus.
If there are any areas to avoid, I'd also love to hear your opinions.
Thanks
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 08:44 AM

6,061 posts, read 13,805,275 times
Read around the forums and you'll find lots of info on neighborhoods. Eugene's different areas are pretty distinctive. From the city of eugene website there are also neighborhood association newsletters and misc. Reading those should give you a good idea as well. Since you have kids, I'd recommend you go to the 4J website and read on the different educational options you have. Eugene has lots of choice for parents. The language immersion schools are wonderful and there are many other opportunities. The district does say that it has "open choice" - you can supposedly live in any area of the district but apply for your child to go to any school. But, we are finding this only to be the case with a few schools. The better schools are so full that they very rarely accept transfer students. Several high schools simply don't. So you'll want to make sure you live in whatever neighborhood the school of your choice is in just in case. That is, if you plan on doing public school. Oregon also has two tuition free online public homeschool options as well.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
View detailed profiles of: