U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 02:32 PM

4,925 posts, read 10,289,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
Does it really? You mean the canoe canal? So, if we fished there, and caught ourselves a trout (and we wouldn't know it if we saw it... we'd have to have a book on trout and compare the fish we caught with photos in the book to be sure it was a trout we caught...)... then could we cook up and eat that trout? If we learned how to gut it and skin it and all that?

That little canoe canal is so shallow! I can't believe there's actually fish there.

We did go to Leaburg dam recently and saw the fish ponds. The salmon were fun to watch but the sturgeon! Holy cow. Those are amazing-looking fish. We were all happy watching the salmon, then we saw this giant dinosaur-looking fish swim slow down near the bottom beneath them... it was like a JAWS moment. So cool.
You could cook and eat the trout IF you have a license, if it's big enough or within what is called a slot limit (expressed as bigger than X inches but smaller than Y inches--Sturgeon are like this) and if it's in season. Different areas of Oregon sometimes have different seasons for the same fish. You also have areas that must be fished with barbless hooks, some with single barbless hooks and some areas you are not allowed to keep the fish, but release it after catching it. This is where the Fishing Regulations book from ODFW comes in handy--it'll tell you all this and specifically which water is open when.

If you get into fishing, and think the sturgeon it cool, you need to try catching them. When I lived near it, I'd fish for sturgeon below McNary Dam...they sure dance on the water when caught. Big thrill--my fly rod for trout is like a slender twig...my sturgeon rod is a telephone pole...

You need to get out fishing...sounds like you're wanting to!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 06:57 PM

9,330 posts, read 9,066,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
Does it really? You mean the canoe canal? So, if we fished there, and caught ourselves a trout (and we wouldn't know it if we saw it... we'd have to have a book on trout and compare the fish we caught with photos in the book to be sure it was a trout we caught...)... then could we cook up and eat that trout? If we learned how to gut it and skin it and all that?

That little canoe canal is so shallow! I can't believe there's actually fish there.

We did go to Leaburg dam recently and saw the fish ponds. The salmon were fun to watch but the sturgeon! Holy cow. Those are amazing-looking fish. We were all happy watching the salmon, then we saw this giant dinosaur-looking fish swim slow down near the bottom beneath them... it was like a JAWS moment. So cool.
Trust me, the Alton Baker canoe canal is like a trout farm. My son knew nothing about fishing and he caught 4 trout in 2 hours a couple years back. The only species of trout that is illegal to harvest in Oregon is the Bull trout, and the odds of one of those being in the canal is very slim. In fact, in all my time fishing in the western states, the only place I've ever ran into Bulls was on Warm Lake in Idaho, right off the Salmon river.

To dress a trout is easy. Chop off the head directly behind the side fins. Then insert a sharp knife in the anus and slice forward through the underbelly 'till you reach the top. Scrape out all the guts, and then simply make sure that the black substance along the backbone is scraped out. Your thumb is the perfect tool for this task. Now, just scrape a knife along both sides of the trout to descale it, and then rinse thoroughly with cold water.

I usually fill the inside with garlic and lemon juice and coat the pan with butter. 375 degrees for about 18-22 minutes usually does the job!

Hope this helps - Ditch

Old 08-07-2010, 06:28 AM

31 posts, read 167,343 times
Just fished the umpqua last weekend. BEST Fishing this year yet. We couldn't keep those small mouth bass off the hooks! This coming from a man who hadn't caught fish in Oregon since moving here even though I have been out hundreds of times. The umpqua has clear, warm water and the view is fantastic going down it. I think this is my favorite river so far.

Being fairly new to Oregon I also volunteer for ODFW at any given opportunity and have learned a lot of the fish and regulations. We even hiked fish into Benson a couple weeks back and the wife and daughter loved it. I would suggest doing such things to get the family involved.

Old 09-18-2010, 07:08 PM

16 posts, read 34,694 times
If you guys want to talk fishing you should check out oregonfishingforum.com it's a great site with great people with a lot of fishing information.

Old 04-23-2011, 08:55 AM

Fishing season opens officially today! Where are y'all headed?

I think I'm gonna make my way up around Fall Creek today. Supposed to be 65 degrees today. Get out before the rain returns!

Cant wait for that new Cabella's to open either. If you've never been inside one, go check it out. It's a giant toy store for men. Second to none... except maybe Bass Pro Shops.

Old 04-24-2011, 04:56 AM

I went bass fishing. Only had one bite and I'm getting ready to head out for some more bass fishing for today.

Oh yeah, how was Fall Creek?

Old 04-24-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapala View Post
I went bass fishing. Only had one bite and I'm getting ready to head out for some more bass fishing for today.

Oh yeah, how was Fall Creek?
Never made it on Saturday. Some stuff came up. I'm shooting for tomorrow even if rain is in the forcast. It's tomorrow or bust!

Old 06-19-2011, 06:56 PM

So what are the good trout spots west of the Cascades aside the McKenzie guys? I fish mainly with lures (Panther Martin, Thomas Buoyants, Mepps, Rooster Tails, Kastmasters, ect....). I seem to have little luck in the rivers, and most of the lakes around the Eugene area are hard to shore fish. It seems you need a boat to troll. I was on Upper Fall Creek all day today and caught not a thing other than snags.

I've lived here for six years now, and my luck fishing around here is pathetic. Is it all salmon terretory on the rivers west of the mountains? I don't seem to have issues in other states such as California, Idaho, Colorado, Arizona, ect...

I grew up on trout fishing, and I will admit that that is all I know how to do. Yes, I agree, it is pathetic. Is there anyone out there in this area that fishes for salmon or steelhead that could show me a thing or two? Judging by the responses so far on this thread, there are not a lot of fishermen on CD in the Eugene area, or they don't want to reply.

Do I need to go to the Bend area or Eastern Oregon to really get to the good trout spots? If there is one thing I've learned from my time in this state it's this: A beautiful fishing spot (scenery wise) does not necessarily equal a productive spot (at least for trout).

Old 06-20-2011, 05:33 AM

Default Trout Fishing

Sounds like you're throwing all the right gear. Have you tried the Mckenzie above Leaburg or Leaburg lake? As for the reservoirs around here a boat really does help but if you're banking it I'd try Dorena or Cottage Grove Lk. Or fish the rivers above and below both reservoirs. There's some nice trout in there. Good luck!

Old 06-20-2011, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapala View Post
Sounds like you're throwing all the right gear. Have you tried the Mckenzie above Leaburg or Leaburg lake? As for the reservoirs around here a boat really does help but if you're banking it I'd try Dorena or Cottage Grove Lk. Or fish the rivers above and below both reservoirs. There's some nice trout in there. Good luck!
The McKenzie is the ONLY river where I don't seem to have problems. But, then again, it is a well known trout river. I heard that Dorena and CG Lake are more for bass and cats. Most of the lakes have steep shore lines that make shore fishing tough. I have fished the Row River above the resevoir as well as the Coast Fk Willamette between CG and Creswell many time with no luck. I've fished Lookout Point resevoir several times and caught a few trash fish (sucker fish or something like it). I've fished many areas of the North and Middle Forks of the Willamette as well with no luck. I've fished upper and lower Fall Creek as well with no luck. To my knowledge, all the rivers between the coast and I-5 are just for steelhead and salmon. Am I wrong on this?

In addition to spinners and spoons, I will sometimes switch to **** or softbaits if the conditions call for it. I try to avoid bait fishing unless I am at a lake camping in the shade and I just want to throw my line out and chug beer.

Also, been meaning to ask, has anyone been up to Lake Timpanogas? How is it up there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area