Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 11:23 PM

11,159 posts, read 10,925,983 times

Advertisements

OK - This Eugene forum is fairly uneventful lately, so I just thought I'd start a thread and say I'm goin fishing tomorrow up McKenzie (probably around Hendrick's Park) and plan to have a good time with the wife and the dogs in tow.

So, fellow Eugenians, where are your favorite fishing spots, and what type of fishing do you do when you are out? Boat, shore, fly, troll, drift, wade, river, lake, hardware, bait, leisure, serious, ect.....?

Just trying to liven this dead forum up. Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 12:30 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,152,911 times
Ditchlights, do you really think hardcore fishermen are going to tell you where their sweet spots are?

Fly fish anything I can, any way I can. I love the float tube...wade, shore, canoe, just about all of it.

I like the Deschutes, Grande Ronde, John Day, Donner und Blitzen, McKenzie...don't know that I've found any place I just hated. You know what they say, the worst day fishing is better than the best day at work.

Old 07-18-2010, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
You know what they say, the worst day fishing is better than the best day at work.
No doubt my friend - No doubt!

Old 07-29-2010, 02:14 AM

42 posts, read 231,953 times
I'm excited to get back to Oregon soon and hopefully get into fly fishing like i meant to do before. I Heard the Metolious is nice....

Old 07-30-2010, 07:07 AM

The Metolious IS nice...there are some big ones in there...all catch and release if I remember right.

Old 08-02-2010, 02:11 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,001,759 times
We have never been fishin'. I know. I know.

We had some good deep-fried fish & chips at the Rose & Thistle on E. 11th, though. Super nice people and really the best clam chowder in town. Seriously. (They only do the clam chowder on Friday's though, and when it's gone it's gone.) Don't care for the hushpuppies much, but everything else was really good. It's a hole-in-the-wall place with character.

My thing about going fishin' is that if I caught something, 1) I wouldn't know how to identify it and 2) I wouldn't know how to clean it. Also, how do you know if it's legal... you know... like I know with crabbing you can't keep the females or ones that are too small, right? I always assumed the same went for fishing.

How does a city-girl raised in cement-city learn to fish?

Old 08-02-2010, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
We have never been fishin'. I know. I know.

We had some good deep-fried fish & chips at the Rose & Thistle on E. 11th, though. Super nice people and really the best clam chowder in town. Seriously. (They only do the clam chowder on Friday's though, and when it's gone it's gone.) Don't care for the hushpuppies much, but everything else was really good. It's a hole-in-the-wall place with character.

My thing about going fishin' is that if I caught something, 1) I wouldn't know how to identify it and 2) I wouldn't know how to clean it. Also, how do you know if it's legal... you know... like I know with crabbing you can't keep the females or ones that are too small, right? I always assumed the same went for fishing.

How does a city-girl raised in cement-city learn to fish?
Start by visiting the sporting goods department in a store or a sporting goods store. Ask questions. The best places I've seen for info are fly-fishing shops. Very helpful. Nearly anyone I've ever run across is very helpful when it comes to newbies. Equipment needed depends upon what kind of fishing you want to do, BUT, you don't ever need to start out with the most expensive equipment, nor with ALL of it. In fact, I don't guess you ever really NEED all of it...and certainly you don't NEED the most expensive stuff. Sure, some of it is nice to have...

If asking questions is tough for you, pick up the latest fishing regulations guide by ODFW (Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife). It'll have all the licensing requirements, seasons and even pictures of all the legal fish (along with length requirements) and some protected fish. I don't remember if it has anything about cleaning fish, but google is your friend! (It's not hard. Really, it's not. If I can do it, any one can!)

Just one word of warning...it can become addictive. (I fly-fished so much one summer I got tendinitis in my casting elbow...my wife called it "fishing elbow". I couldn't get any sympathy from anyone once they found out how I got it!)

Old 08-02-2010, 11:41 AM

I have eyed a few events lately that invited families out to places like Leaburg dam for fishing demonstrations and lessons, and they provided all the gear, to boot. It sounded like a lot of fun... there was one recently at the Springfield birthday bash celebration at Island Park, too. We just might have to check something like that out.

Thanks Skinem!

Old 08-02-2010, 04:42 PM

If you want to have a little fun and you're a newbie, go to Alton Baker and fish the little river that runs around it. It has a ton of trout in it.

Old 08-04-2010, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
If you want to have a little fun and you're a newbie, go to Alton Baker and fish the little river that runs around it. It has a ton of trout in it.
Does it really? You mean the canoe canal? So, if we fished there, and caught ourselves a trout (and we wouldn't know it if we saw it... we'd have to have a book on trout and compare the fish we caught with photos in the book to be sure it was a trout we caught...)... then could we cook up and eat that trout? If we learned how to gut it and skin it and all that?

That little canoe canal is so shallow! I can't believe there's actually fish there.

We did go to Leaburg dam recently and saw the fish ponds. The salmon were fun to watch but the sturgeon! Holy cow. Those are amazing-looking fish. We were all happy watching the salmon, then we saw this giant dinosaur-looking fish swim slow down near the bottom beneath them... it was like a JAWS moment. So cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area