U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 09:15 AM

2 posts, read 5,476 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=3]I know winter is dreary, but how are the rest of the seasons? Is there a fair amount of sunshine during spring, summer, and fall? [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]How cold are winters and how hot/humid are summers?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I'm considering a move from WI. Tired of the long bitter cold winters and hot/humid summers but want to keep the green landscape. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Thanks![/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 10:43 AM

37 posts, read 100,811 times
Eugene-Springfield is normally pretty sunny from mid April-mid October. From June-August, there's usually next to zero clouds and rain (though this June was unusually rainy). So our summers are definitely a lot drier than in the midwest.

Summer temps are usually in the 80s-90s during the daytime, and cool down to the 40s-50s at night (unlike the midwest). However, we usually seem to get 3 days in a row every summer where it gets to over 100.

Old 07-28-2010, 12:58 PM

57 posts, read 155,816 times
Climate in Eugene-Springfield Metro Area

Old 07-28-2010, 05:06 PM

233 posts, read 371,880 times
Where I live in Eugene it starts getting rainy mid-September and the real cloudy days are here by October. It's usually very rainy from then until about the beginning of February then moderately rainy until about mid June (although this year spring was wetter than usual.) From mid September till mid June it's usually grey and cloudy more often than not, usually with an accompany drizzle. We do sometimes get breaks with a couple of sunny afternoons in the middle of winter but it's not something you can count on. We typically get a couple of days of colder weather in the winter and a couple of days of very hot weather in the summer.

Old 07-28-2010, 06:58 PM

231 posts, read 732,382 times
Check out my profile page (see link below) where I am keeping a day by day log this year of the weather. I'm not focusing on actual temperatures each day (you can get that from many weather sites), but rather a short description for each day. I started this in March 2010 and hope to keep doing it at least until March 2011 so that I have a full year of "notes". Of course, it's not very scientific, and each year is different, but I thought I would do it anyway.

My main reason for trying this is that the official weather data for this area seems very misleading to me. It does not specify whether the rain falls during the night or during the day (at least, I don't know where to find this data). That makes a big difference for me.

Also the official weather data does not specify whether the rain falls continuously or "for 30 minutes and then the sun comes out, and then later it rains/suns again". For me there is a big difference between these two. The rain/sun cycle is not a problem for me; in fact, it's really one of the nicest things about the weather here. On the other hand, continuous rain during the day bugs me.

Anyway, here's the link with my daily updates:

//www.city-data.com/forum/membe...ed-530124.html

Old 01-06-2011, 05:18 AM

5 posts, read 11,338 times
Default Thanks Mr Eugenified!

Thanks we're considering a move to Eugene and your daily weather updates gave me a much better idea of what to expect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Eugenified View Post

Also the official weather data does not specify whether the rain falls continuously or "for 30 minutes and then the sun comes out, and then later it rains/suns again". For me there is a big difference between these two. The rain/sun cycle is not a problem for me; in fact, it's really one of the nicest things about the weather here. On the other hand, continuous rain during the day bugs me.

Anyway, here's the link with my daily updates:

//www.city-data.com/forum/membe...ed-530124.html

Old 01-06-2011, 12:52 PM

231 posts, read 732,382 times
Glad you like them. Good to know someone is actually reading this thing. Haha!

It's kinda strange how they are in slightly chopped up reverse order when you read them on the screen, but that's because of the way the profile page is ordered. Maybe I will consolidate them all together one day on one single page on my website so that they can be read top to bottom in "old to new" date order.

Anyhoo, thanks for the feedback.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:40 PM

9 posts, read 37,967 times
I am from Eugene and when I tell you that it rains 8-9 months out of the year it is no exaggeration. Last year it rained all the way through the middle of June. On the other hand summers are really nice here. What I dislike is that when it rains it is not a hard rain then it's over. Instead it is a light rain throughout the whole day.

Old 01-21-2011, 03:47 PM

1 posts, read 3,131 times
ILoveSunshine is right. I've been here 25 years. We don't get a spring in Eugene, just an extension of winter. Fall on the other hand is usually pretty nice. July, Aug, Sep, and about half of October are really the only "nice" months.

Old 01-21-2011, 05:43 PM

640 posts, read 1,480,543 times
yes, it's very deceptive when you look at weather websites it shows that the rain in inches is pretty average compared with many other places in the US. The difference is that in Eugene it can take days to rain 1/2 an inch of water, it's just a constant dripping and spitting and misting that goes on for most of the year with brief sun breaks throughout the day.

I think it's lovely, I wish my hair agreed (poof!).

Also, if you like to see amazing dramatic cloud formations there's no place better to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area