U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-28-2010, 08:47 PM
 
17 posts, read 67,634 times
Reputation: 21

Advertisements

What's the deal with this place? The real estate is soooooo much cheaper here. Is there any locals that will give me the low down. Is it not safe or something?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-29-2010, 12:23 PM
 
57 posts, read 158,033 times
Reputation: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcgreen View Post
What's the deal with this place? The real estate is soooooo much cheaper here. Is there any locals that will give me the low down. Is it not safe or something?
There are several things going there. First, most of the Bethel-Danebo area is not located in the Eugene 4J school district, but in the Bethel school district whose schools are considered to be somewhat inferior compared to 4J. It is more ethnically diverse than the City as a whole, but also has lower income levels on average. Finally, it is very suburban in terms of its development patterns and not particularly walkable... the rush hour traffic can be pretty bad, especially on the Beltline and West 11th Avenue. Note that a good chunk of Bethel is zoned for industrial use (http://www.eugene-or.gov/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_2_361231_0_0_18/ABC.pdf - broken link), which tends to depress residential property values in the area.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2010, 11:08 PM
 
17 posts, read 67,634 times
Reputation: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olduvai2020 View Post
There are several things going there. First, most of the Bethel-Danebo area is not located in the Eugene 4J school district, but in the Bethel school district whose schools are considered to be somewhat inferior compared to 4J. It is more ethnically diverse than the City as a whole, but also has lower income levels on average. Finally, it is very suburban in terms of its development patterns and not particularly walkable... the rush hour traffic can be pretty bad, especially on the Beltline and West 11th Avenue. Note that a good chunk of Bethel is zoned for industrial use (http://www.eugene-or.gov/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_2_361231_0_0_18/ABC.pdf - broken link), which tends to depress residential property values in the area.
Thanks for your response. Thats good information. I have been looking into moving to Eugene for a little while and am always surprised at how much lower the Bethel/Danabo housing is then the rest of Eugene.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2010, 11:50 AM
 
57 posts, read 158,033 times
Reputation: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcgreen View Post
I have been looking into moving to Eugene for a little while and am always surprised at how much lower the Bethel/Danabo housing is then the rest of Eugene.
Yes, one good thing about Bethel/Danebo is that you can get a large, newer house for $100/square foot or less. A comparable house could easily be $150/square foot in South Eugene or $200/square foot in the Fairmount neighborhood... if you can find one, as many houses in older parts of town are smaller with rather obsolete floor plans (small kitchens, etc.). Something to consider if you don't mind the traffic and Bethel district schools.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top