Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 02:57 PM

2 posts, read 36,642 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I got accepted as a transfer student to U. of Oregon and am seriously thinking about moving to Eugene. I've visited other parts of Oregon and have always wanted to live there, and now it's like a dream come true.

But...I have been reading about all the crime in Eugene, on this website and others, and it's really kind of frightening for me. It seems like a dangerous place to live and, from what people have said in response to others asking what neighborhoods are safest on this website, there isn't really any particular place that everyone seems to feel sure about. I realize that most of the crime in the city is property crime...but burglaries and car theft seem like something to think about to me. I've also read that there is a big problem with there being so many homeless people in Eugene...which makes me a little uneasy about walking in the parks. I'm not sure about any of these things since I haven't been there, but I'm just worried that I might be making a big mistake if what I have read is true.

I live in Western Pennsylvania, quite a bit outside of Pittsburgh. People are friendly, there is very little crime where I am, and I have never felt unsafe here - even when I go hiking or walking alone in the parks. I know a bigger city will not be as safe as where I live now, but I also don't want to live in a place that I constantly have to fret about.

Do you feel safe in Eugene? Would you feel safe (as a young woman) living, hiking, biking or walking alone? Are there any places that you would feel totally safe living alone in the area? I wouldn't mind commuting about half an hour if it meant I wouldn't have to worry.

I realize that to some I might be a little too worried about this, but...I'd rather be safe than sorry. Thank you so much for your help! I'm really hoping its not as bad as it seems.

Last edited by Megs7291; 12-02-2010 at 03:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 06:21 PM

88 posts, read 181,843 times
Default Eugene dangerous? Compared to what?

If you really have lived anywhere within the tri-state area of WV,OH,PA and lived close to Pitt in Oakland, you will think you are in a Buddhist Retreat in Eugene. Look at the the crime stats. Look at the LEVEL of Education. Look at the Quality of life. Trust me, Eugene or Portland is not even a blip on the crime radar screen compared to most cities and towns back in W.PA. Plus the rain is similar, but the scenery is something that will make you want to stay.
Time to regroup , you will love it.

Old 12-02-2010, 09:16 PM

37 posts, read 109,884 times
Eugene really isn't that bad. Just use common sense.
-Lock your doors, don't leave valuables out, and you probably won't have your car broken into (especially if it's a really crappy car).
-Also, as a college-age woman, don't walk near the campus area alone at night either. Women periodically get attacked doing that.
-As for walking in parks, you'd only have to worry about that at night, but all the parks are "closed" from 11pm-6am these days anyway.

Personally, I'd be more worried about Eugene being unfun than unsafe... Haha... (Hint: it is)

Old 12-03-2010, 12:28 PM

1,837 posts, read 1,961,491 times
Eugene is a safe city. I've lived there for most of the last 6 years. This is coming from someone who lived in the "most" dangerous enviroment for the last two years - a homeless shelter. Trust me, I've been on the streets of Eugene for a while. I've also been homeless in most every Northwest city looking for work and Eugene is one of my favorite citys. Accually, it's my favorite. Sure there were times when there was danger but it boils down to what enviroment you are in. I was in the most unsafe enviroment and it really wasn't that bad. Now if I was to hang out with the danger then I'd probably be thinking, "man this city is crazy". There are some of the coolest people I've ever met in Eugene!!! Too bad I never could find the right job there.

I've been all over the place ok, and Eugene is SAFE!!! AWESOME COMMUNITY!!! If you took a survey from 100 different people who live there and asked them to give you just one word to describe Eugene, they'd probably all say... "Community".

Old 12-03-2010, 03:18 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,821,552 times
Eugene, statistically, is a very safe city. There is no need to fret. I live in Portland, but have spent a lot of time there and I may actually move there next fall to attend UO, but I've never felt unsafe, even when wandering around the dark (to me, after having lived in Portland) streets of South Eugene. Like others have said, stay out of the parks at night if you're alone (though biking down a trail is probably fine) and excercise caution in certain areas around campus when alone at night. Otherwise, there is no need to worry. Just use common sense like MisterCobalt said--lock your doors (to your house and car) and don't leave valuables hanging around out front of your house or in plain sight in your car.

Old 12-03-2010, 11:32 PM

231 posts, read 778,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCobalt View Post
Personally, I'd be more worried about Eugene being unfun than unsafe... Haha... (Hint: it is)
It's only unfun within the 3 meter radius area around you. If you run fast enough, you may be able to escape this unfun zone...but I think it may move along with you no matter how fast you run. So...

Hehe, just joking! It's nice to see some posts in this forum, so I had to say something.

Old 12-04-2010, 08:24 PM

6,824 posts, read 9,059,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megs7291 View Post
Hi everyone! I got accepted as a transfer student to U. of Oregon and am seriously thinking about moving to Eugene. I've visited other parts of Oregon and have always wanted to live there, and now it's like a dream come true.

But...I have been reading about all the crime in Eugene, on this website and others, and it's really kind of frightening for me. It seems like a dangerous place to live and, from what people have said in response to others asking what neighborhoods are safest on this website, there isn't really any particular place that everyone seems to feel sure about. I realize that most of the crime in the city is property crime...but burglaries and car theft seem like something to think about to me. I've also read that there is a big problem with there being so many homeless people in Eugene...which makes me a little uneasy about walking in the parks. I'm not sure about any of these things since I haven't been there, but I'm just worried that I might be making a big mistake if what I have read is true.

I live in Western Pennsylvania, quite a bit outside of Pittsburgh. People are friendly, there is very little crime where I am, and I have never felt unsafe here - even when I go hiking or walking alone in the parks. I know a bigger city will not be as safe as where I live now, but I also don't want to live in a place that I constantly have to fret about.

Do you feel safe in Eugene? Would you feel safe (as a young woman) living, hiking, biking or walking alone? Are there any places that you would feel totally safe living alone in the area? I wouldn't mind commuting about half an hour if it meant I wouldn't have to worry.

I realize that to some I might be a little too worried about this, but...I'd rather be safe than sorry. Thank you so much for your help! I'm really hoping its not as bad as it seems.
I'm from Johnstown, PA, google the Johnstown Flood. I went to graduate school at the University of Oregon just a few years ago. I lived up in the south hills, but even areas close to the university are safe. It is a good idea to live a bit away from campus just to avoid the drug related breakins that are a problem.

Here's my story. For about 18 months I biked to and from campus on a fairly expensive bike. I kept it locked with a decent lock but also sometimes with one that could probably be cut if someone really wanted my bike. Not once did I have a problem. I'm sure it helped that I registered my bike with UO Police and put the sticker right on my nice, pretty bike. Also, I would regularly bike home at night along the bike path. I never had any problems with someone trying to rob me or any other crime.

Finally, I've walked through the Whiteacre (sp?) neighborhood that is supposed to be a hotbead for crime. I never had a problem at all in that neighborhood.

If you're from the Pittsburgh area you will laugh at what they call crime in Eugene. I encourage you to go there. Eugene is a nice little town. The only problem you might have is gray skies in winter, but I know Pittsburgh is not much better.

Good luck!!

Old 12-05-2010, 10:15 AM

2 posts, read 36,642 times
Thanks so much everyone! Your responses make me feel a lot better. I didn't think it would be as bad as some people on the forum were saying it was, because it looks like such a nice little town and very well kept up...but of course it scared me since I'm going to be living there alone (I actually don't know anyone that lives in Oregon! A little scary).

I know it's a lot safer than Pittsburgh...but most of the crime in Pittsburgh is really concentrated to certain areas, so that's why I wanted to know if there are any neighborhoods that are better than others in terms of safety? If you had to pick the best one, which would it be?

I've been to Johnstown a few times! I go hiking in Ligonier a couple days a week, and sometimes out to Laurel Valley near Johnstown. Right now I live about 45 minutes away from the city, and go to Pitt in Oakland...so I'm totally fine with living further out if it means I don't have to deal with all of that. I'm much more outdoor-sey than into partying, so I'd rather be closer to trails than downtown anyway.

I'm visiting in March and can't wait to see Eugene! I'm so excited to be in a place with good vegan restaurants haha. Hopefully I can pick out a decent apartment. Thanks again, guys.

Old 12-05-2010, 01:59 PM

6,824 posts, read 9,059,808 times
Oregon is a GREAT place for people who like the outdoors. You can bike on the flat or up and down hills in Eugene. You can be at some amazing hiking places in less than a 30 min drive. Even without a car you can still see some amazing scenery.

You should get some decent rain clothes at REI, get a decent bike if you don't have one and get comfortable biking in the rain. I don't think I ever saw an umbrella in the whole time I lived in Eugene.

I would HIGHLY recommend getting out to Sweet Life Patisserie, not far from the campus. They have the most AMAZING vegan cheesecake. You would swear that it is not vegan. I used to be a cheese cake "expert" when I was much younger, so I know what I'm talking about.

Sorry for the CAPS but I really miss Eugene. I think you will have a great time there. I hope to go back and visit sometime soon.

Old 12-05-2010, 02:13 PM

914 posts, read 4,445,177 times
Something to remember about Eugene as well is that it is a fairly epansive city. Just because there is crime doesn't mean there is crime in any area you'll be. When I went to U of O, I never felt unsafe walking around alone at night, including when I lived off campus. (I walked everywhere, didn't want to deal the a bike). There is a lot of petty theft, but, well, welcome to living in a large college town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area