U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2011, 08:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,410 times

Advertisements

Hi, we are planning on relocating to Eugene in August. We have a daughter that will be entering the third grade and a kid-friendly neighborhood and a great school are high priorities. Anyone have any good suggestions to help narrow down the options?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 09:35 AM

26 posts, read 75,041 times
I don't have any children, but if you do a search in this forum, you'll find a few discussions about good neighborhoods in Eugene.

Are you aware of the budgeting problem for schools here? Perhaps you should do an internet search on it. Again, I'm not a parent, but from what I can tell, there are serious issues for schools in Lane County. I heard a teacher at the gym saying she has 30 students! We have one of the shortest school years in the country and they are thinking of cutting more days to save money. I'd do some serious research on that subject if it's a big priority for you.

Old 05-13-2011, 10:57 AM

17 posts, read 27,840 times
Default Eugene schools

It's hard to miss with the school in Eugene. Lots of good schools and good neighborhoods. When I first moved to Eugene, I thought I was moving into the Edison school district. I did research and learned it was a highly regarded school with lots of transfer requests, it was in the university neighborhood. I was excited for my daughter who was starting kindergarten.

When I got here, I learned that there had been redistricting and we were in the Harris district. Major disappointment (at first, read on). Our neighbors were transferring to Edison. In Eugene, you can transfer into any other school as long as there is room. Of course, Edison had a long waiting list. Harris was a school not talked about and was also in the process of merging with a charter (?) program called Eastside. I was worried and even got on the list for other schools, Parker, Crest Drive. Didn't get any, settled for Harris.

And thank goodness. Harris turned out to be an excellent school. The merger with Eastside produced Camas Ridge, which now receives more transfers than any other elementary in the 4j district. Really, really a great school. We've since moved into the Edison district, but still have our daughter in Camas Ridge. A great principal, great teachers...strong parent involvement. It emphasizes project-based learning and there's a cycle where students choose what project they want to do and the projects are multi-level. Right now, my daughter is doing the bird watching project, so at home she wants to go out and take pictures of birds and learn about them. She's in second grade..she pulled up an eagle cam and explained to me how to tell a male bald eagle from a female. this is a great school.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:33 AM

49 posts, read 38,679 times
You're gonna have the most luck with a "kid-friendly" neighborhood in North Eugene, or what they call the "ferry-street bridge" neighborhood. West Eugene (Bethel School District) is an area to avoid.

Other than that, it's hard to go wrong. Eugene is a great family town.

Old 05-23-2011, 02:15 PM

6,061 posts, read 13,865,536 times
I agree with other posters - Eugene is awesome for kids and families. Our kids are in middle school and high school now. Lots of great opportunities here for kids and lots of great school choices.

4J is dealing with some serious budget issues, though, and there's a lot of change going on. It's going to get worse before it gets better. Don't expect your ideal school situation. Expect larger class sizes, shorter school days, less school days, cut classes, cut subjects, etc. (It's happening everywhere not just Eugene.) But for this area - 4J is where you'll want your kids to go.

Our kids went to Gilham elementary and had really wonderful experiences there. Gilham is in the north Eugene area / Ferry Street Bridge area. Cal Young is an awesome middle school, which feeds into Sheldon high school which is said to be the second best high school in Oregon (read it in a magazine somewhere.... Newsweek, maybe?). South Eugene is also a great high school.

The schools seem to also reflect the nature or spirit of the neighborhoods in which they are in, though. The Gilham area is a lot more bland and "white bread" when compared to other Eugene neighborhoods. If you're like the keepin' up with the Jones's cookie-cutter model home shop at Pottery Barn I sleep with my iPhone type, then the Gilham area would be a good fit. But if you lean more crunchy or progressive or liberal (do you love the old 240 Volvo's? Dream of owning an old painted VW microbus? Do you like to fly prayer flags?) a different school/neighborhood might be a better choice. And then if you have any sort of eccentric radical anarchist in your veins, if you read Walden at least once a year and you don't give a crap how things look because it's what things stand for and the statement that something makes that is important to you - there's always whiteaker. I love the Friendly neighborhood - free thinkers and come as you are peaceful types and "food not lawns" is the status quo. And in College Hill area you'll find lots of rich smarties interspersed with happy families and college kids and not-so-starving artist types. They are all great areas, but my point is they all have their own vibe. When we first moved to Eugene we settled in an area that didn't fit our vibe, but we were kind of stuck once we realized that because we didn't want our kids to have to change schools. It's just something to consider.

(ediing to add : yes I know Eugene supposedly has "school choice" but many schools are actually not accepting students from outside the area anymore due to bursting at the seams and not having anymore room for kids coming in from outside the area... so we didn't want to move and risk it... For example - South Eugene HS and Sheldon HS are flat-out not accepting students who live outside their area unless they have siblings who go to the school.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area