U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 04:55 PM

6,061 posts, read 13,875,949 times

Advertisements

I don't understand why keeping out Whole Foods is/was such a great thing. I mean, really?! We have a freaking CostCo and Winco's and Walmart's and Target's and Fred Meyer's and fast food joints by the bajillions. All these new yippie housing developments and that uppity Crescent Village development and all that money spent on new sports arenas and spending gobs of money renaming a highway that already has a name when you're building a bridge that doesn't even have a name yet - why don't you just name that new unnamed bridge after the rich guy instead of renaming Beltline and pissing the community off who clearly don't want Beltline renamed?

Anyway - I digress... I just really didn't understand the big deal about Whole Foods, which would have been a positive presence. Which would have offered jobs and helped local farmer's because contrary to what most people assume about Whole Foods, the buyers actually DO source as many of their products as possible from local producers - just like Market of Choice. I worked at one of the original Whole Food stores in Texas for over ten years and have met the guys who started the company, even the quirky Mr. Mackey, I'd much rather a Whole Foods in town than yet another Starbuck's or big box store or shopping mall or boutique village with overpriced loft apartments or whatever. As much as I love this town and all it has to offer, sometimes I just really don't understand its people and their wacky reasoning.

The community outreach (I used to love the Whole Foods 5% days, and I used to always do the volunteer match opportunities that WFM offered its team members) would have been a great asset to Eugene as well. Eugene is poorer for have run Whole Foods off, and that is sad. There's absolutely no reason why we cannot have local farmer's markets and places like the Kiva and Red Barn and a Whole Foods. Smaller towns than Eugene do.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 05:08 PM

21,697 posts, read 25,449,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
I don't understand why keeping out Whole Foods is/was such a great thing. I mean, really?! We have a freaking CostCo and Winco's and Walmart's and Target's and Fred Meyer's and fast food joints by the bajillions. All these new yippie housing developments and that uppity Crescent Village development and all that money spent on new sports arenas and spending gobs of money renaming a highway that already has a name when you're building a bridge that doesn't even have a name yet - why don't you just name that new unnamed bridge after the rich guy instead of renaming Beltline and pissing the community off who clearly don't want Beltline renamed?

Anyway - I digress... I just really didn't understand the big deal about Whole Foods, which would have been a positive presence. Which would have offered jobs and helped local farmer's because contrary to what most people assume about Whole Foods, the buyers actually DO source as many of their products as possible from local producers - just like Market of Choice. I worked at one of the original Whole Food stores in Texas for over ten years and have met the guys who started the company, even the quirky Mr. Mackey, I'd much rather a Whole Foods in town than yet another Starbuck's or big box store or shopping mall or boutique village with overpriced loft apartments or whatever. As much as I love this town and all it has to offer, sometimes I just really don't understand its people and their wacky reasoning.

The community outreach (I used to love the Whole Foods 5% days, and I used to always do the volunteer match opportunities that WFM offered its team members) would have been a great asset to Eugene as well. Eugene is poorer for have run Whole Foods off, and that is sad. There's absolutely no reason why we cannot have local farmer's markets and places like the Kiva and Red Barn and a Whole Foods. Smaller towns than Eugene do.
I posted this in response to a similar question in another thread. There are some in Portland (don't know about Eugene) who like me kind of resent Whole Foods because when they moved here they pushed out our local stores like "Wild Oats" and "Natures" that which were much more affordable for good quality food and locally grown produce.

The smaller WF's in the neighborhoods almost always were at one time one of these locally owned stores. They got gobbled up. It wouldn't be so bad if WF's weren't so darn expensive. But I think they are catering to the more upscale pocket book rather than that average person who used to shop at the other two stores.

I do agree with you though that WF's is much preferrable to some of the other stores you mentioned.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:20 AM

110 posts, read 287,914 times
Yeah I guess I didn't even think that there are the other lame corporations/companies there. But I do feel that if there were to be a giant natural foods store, Whole Foods, that it would ultimately have a effect, big or small, on the local Natural Food Stores.

I will be able to have a much more opened opinion of this once I actually get up in Eugene. But here in Texas I never go to Whole Foods, I think I went once a couple years ago to get a bite of pizza, but if I am going to get natural foods, I go to the local Health Food store.

Unfortunately there is Costco, Walmart, and all those other major stores you mentioned, but that doesn't mean that there needs to be more just because there are some. And I feel the people that didn't want Whole Foods were the people who are all about local, and the people that don't care about local business had no problem letting a Walmart walk into the town.

I don't know, just rambling...... I need to get in Eugene already

Old 07-22-2011, 04:02 PM

6,061 posts, read 13,875,949 times
Whole Foods bought Wild Oats, so I can see how people who were loyal shoppers of Wild Oats would be upset. I don't know Nature's.

Whole Foods doesn't have to be expensive, though. It depends on how you shop. When my husband and I were first married we were really broke and yet we still managed to do most of our shopping at Whole Foods. Now we have two boys who eat a ton and we choose to live on one income while our kids are home with us, and we still shop organic. We shop at Market of Choice but if we had a Whole Foods here we would shop there as well. When we are in Portland we stock up on Whole Foods items we like that we can't get here.

You can save a lot by buying in bulk and cooking from scratch. We waited for our favorite kind of apple to go on sale - to 99 cents a pound - and then bought them by the case and got a 15% off case discount. Bread especially is really expensive compared with how little it costs you to make it yourself. If you grind your grains to flour yourself (I use my blender) you can save even more. Watch for the oats or whatever you use to go on sale and stock up. Then make a bunch of bread and freeze it. We juice our own juices which also saves a lot of money. Apple juice and orange juice are so expensive, but if you wait for valencia oranges and apples to go on sale, buy them by the case to get that case discount, and then juice them yourself you will save money. Plus you're getting fresher juice, too!

I mean, I know not everybody wants to do this stuff or thinks that they have the time. Most people shop for convenience, and that's where it gets expensive. Prepared foods, boxed foods, canned foods even, the deli, etc. that stuff will add up quick. People who work don't want to spend their weekends cooking or preparing meals for the week even if it would mean better food and saving money. But that's their choice, so they pay for it. But that's not the store's fault. It's a consumer decision.

One of my managers at Whole Foods who was also very poor at the time - she was a single mom with many health issues - she taught me to shop the perimeter of the stores. Doesn't matter if it's whole foods or whatever... try to stay out of the middle aisles as much as you can. If you think about it, that really makes sense. You eat healthier and you save money. The hardest thing for me not to buy is canned tomatoes. I don't buy boxed or canned foods as a general rule because I think they are unhealthy and they are also expensive, but in the off-season it's hard to find good tomatoes. That's one thing I haven't learned yet is how to can my own! It's on my to-do list...

Anyway - I think there is a place for Farmer's Markets and for natural foods stores (regardless of whether they are a Whole Foods Market or not) within cities. To snub a Whole Foods when you invite worse influences into your town just doesn't make a lot of sense.

Old 07-22-2011, 04:20 PM

21,697 posts, read 25,449,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
Whole Foods bought Wild Oats, so I can see how people who were loyal shoppers of Wild Oats would be upset. I don't know Nature's.

Whole Foods doesn't have to be expensive, though. It depends on how you shop. When my husband and I were first married we were really broke and yet we still managed to do most of our shopping at Whole Foods. Now we have two boys who eat a ton and we choose to live on one income while our kids are home with us, and we still shop organic. We shop at Market of Choice but if we had a Whole Foods here we would shop there as well. When we are in Portland we stock up on Whole Foods items we like that we can't get here.

You can save a lot by buying in bulk and cooking from scratch. We waited for our favorite kind of apple to go on sale - to 99 cents a pound - and then bought them by the case and got a 15% off case discount. Bread especially is really expensive compared with how little it costs you to make it yourself. If you grind your grains to flour yourself (I use my blender) you can save even more. Watch for the oats or whatever you use to go on sale and stock up. Then make a bunch of bread and freeze it. We juice our own juices which also saves a lot of money. Apple juice and orange juice are so expensive, but if you wait for valencia oranges and apples to go on sale, buy them by the case to get that case discount, and then juice them yourself you will save money. Plus you're getting fresher juice, too!

I mean, I know not everybody wants to do this stuff or thinks that they have the time. Most people shop for convenience, and that's where it gets expensive. Prepared foods, boxed foods, canned foods even, the deli, etc. that stuff will add up quick. People who work don't want to spend their weekends cooking or preparing meals for the week even if it would mean better food and saving money. But that's their choice, so they pay for it. But that's not the store's fault. It's a consumer decision.

One of my managers at Whole Foods who was also very poor at the time - she was a single mom with many health issues - she taught me to shop the perimeter of the stores. Doesn't matter if it's whole foods or whatever... try to stay out of the middle aisles as much as you can. If you think about it, that really makes sense. You eat healthier and you save money. The hardest thing for me not to buy is canned tomatoes. I don't buy boxed or canned foods as a general rule because I think they are unhealthy and they are also expensive, but in the off-season it's hard to find good tomatoes. That's one thing I haven't learned yet is how to can my own! It's on my to-do list...

Anyway - I think there is a place for Farmer's Markets and for natural foods stores (regardless of whether they are a Whole Foods Market or not) within cities. To snub a Whole Foods when you invite worse influences into your town just doesn't make a lot of sense.
You make some good points. I have been shopping perimeters for years and it does work.

I wish I could buy in bulk but I cannot because of two reasons: there is just me (and the cat) and a tiny apartment where there is no room to store anything. I can find a few inexpensive things in WF but not enough to make it worthwhile to shop there as I once did Nature's and Wild Oats. It's fine for those who can.

There was a kind of rumored scandal as to the idea that WF pushed out Nature's by not so honest means. I don't know the details or if it's true but Nature's was a really good fairly priced healthy supermarket that served many.

In Portland anyway people have fought the "worse influences" like Walmart and some neighborhoods have had success in keeping them out. My neighborhood was actually successful in turning away a McDonald's.

But I do find it interesting that the more upscale stores like Whole Foods always seem to win these battles. I am not saying they should be banned, I just mourn the losses of stores people of not so great means could shop in. But that gives us an even greater need for farmers markets and the like.

Old 07-23-2011, 12:11 AM

110 posts, read 287,914 times
Haggard you do make some good pointers on saving money and making it all fresh in front of your own eyes. But still, it is just awesome that the people that do love their local foods fought for it to keep out a mass corp that would most likely take over their business. I know you said there were other giant stores that got in, but I feel that the people that do care about the local foods aren't necessarily supporters of Walmart and the such, but it wouldn't put their loved local foods out of business as the Whole Foods would, so there wasn't as much of a reason to fight to keep em out? Although it would be best if they weren't allowed in.

Anyways, do you have any pictures from Saturday Market or anything involving local produce??

Old 07-24-2011, 04:18 PM

25 posts, read 35,137 times
Whole Foods was asking the city to build them a new parking garage.

http://www.organicconsumers.org/arti...rticle_578.cfm

"But what really has people steamed is a plan by the city to build a parking garage next to the market. They say in doing so, the city is subsidizing Whole Foods -- and that's not fair to all the other local businesses."

"Further stirring the pot, the council also decided to award the contract to build the garage -- without soliciting bids from other contractors -- to Gerding/Edlen Development Co., the Portland firm that will build Whole Foods."

This article is a bit dated, but it sounds like the council shot themselves in the foot with decisions like the one above. Does anyone remember the details of how it all went down?

I don't like the idea of profits going to their corporate hq. Mom and Pop stores are a better idea imo. I would hope the owners would live in the general area, and infuse that money back into the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area