Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2012, 09:17 PM

1 posts, read 2,451 times

Advertisements

I am college senior who is considering moving out to Oregon post graduation. I will be looking for teaching jobs, specifically U.S./World History positions in the middle/high school levels. I am just curious what everyone thinks about the school systems, especially in Eugene and just the over all vibe of Eugene. Any information/connections would be great. I have done the whole google search thing and now I want to hear from real people, especially if you are a teacher or have a background in the school systems around there.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2012, 11:36 PM

47 posts, read 89,417 times
Hello DVegaIA,

Glad to hear your interested in the area. It's very nice here but there are some things to know and consider:

Oregon requires post-graduate work to earn a license, and most teaching positions will require a master's degree.

The U of O has a large department of education cranking out teachers every year, so the area is saturated with teachers looking for work.

The two largest school districts in the area, Eugene and Springfield, both have declining enrollment, serious budget issues, and generally aren't hiring, particularly not in social studies (sorry!). Bethel school district is the only local district with increasing enrollment, but they too are having budget issues.

Most teachers sub for several years before even finding a temporary position.

That said, it can be done! I'm a high school teacher and if you're motivated, persistent, and have the patience then you will eventually find a position. Ideally, you will get your foot in the door subbing and when a position opens up they will already know you.

Old 02-14-2012, 07:52 PM

541 posts, read 1,720,888 times
As for the vibe of Eugene, around downtown and the college, you will find the hippies, and students who like to party and have fun. It is a very liberal area, and there is a strong emphasis on the arts community. Downtown Eugene is very pretty and filled with structures, statues, and other art pieces. Sadly is pretty much empty due to the economy.

Outside of downtown you have many nice residential burbs, a shopping center, and you are close to the great outdoors all around you. Many opportunities to explore, and a reasonable distance from Portland if you want to visit for the weekend. Outside of Euegene-Springfield, it becomes more conservative, especially when entering the farming regions, which are beautiful in their own right as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area