U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 11:02 AM

22 posts, read 31,875 times

Advertisements

My husband has been sending his resume all over Oregon to facilitate our family move there from West Virginia.

He's a Retail Operations Manager for a large department store that has a good, solid reputation, nicely updated & clean store, good benefits. His very first choice to get us over to Oregon is to simply transfer within his company, but there aren't any positions for him now; so he's been blasting his resume to all of the Retail Store Manager or Assistant Manager jobs anywhere in Oregon.

Whelp, he got his first phone call reply - from a place called Harbor Freight Tools. I've read that "customer service nightmare" web page from back in 2002, along with its updates to 2009. I've also read reviews that their customer service STILL stinks most of the time, but that they're a good store for do-it-yourself guys who want to buy cheap tools made in China.

But is that all there is to Harbor Freight Tools???? They seem to have a nice, updated web site, and they seem to have a lot of products and a lot of store locations....and they're hiring Store Managers (hence, they'd pay for our move out there).

What are YOUR experiences with Harbor Freight Tools?
Have you or anyone you know worked for them?
What was your/the person you know working experience with them?

My gut is sending me a bunch of "red flags" on this one....but in the interest of thorough due-diligence, I feel like I need as many CURRENT opinions & employee experiences as possible for my husband calls this recruiter back.

Please help! (I've also posted this in the Portland Forum)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 11:53 AM

88 posts, read 169,655 times
Harbor Freight Tools is located all through the West. They are a niche specific retailer.
Hey, they aren't WalMart, that's a good thing IMO.
My only caveat to you would be to know up front that Oregon-Eugene in particular in NO way resembles the attitudes in W. VA.
Anywhere in W. VA.
In a past life I traveled that state from Morgantown to Charleston and all points in between.
W. VA more closely resembles the attitudes of Arizona (ouch) than Oregon.
If you are moving for a cultural life style change that you desire than fine. If it is purely a job change, know what you are getting into.
Good Luck.

Old 08-09-2011, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenNorthwestScott View Post
Harbor Freight Tools is located all through the West. They are a niche specific retailer.
Hey, they aren't WalMart, that's a good thing IMO.
My only caveat to you would be to know up front that Oregon-Eugene in particular in NO way resembles the attitudes in W. VA.
Anywhere in W. VA.
In a past life I traveled that state from Morgantown to Charleston and all points in between.
W. VA more closely resembles the attitudes of Arizona (ouch) than Oregon.
If you are moving for a cultural life style change that you desire than fine. If it is purely a job change, know what you are getting into.
Good Luck.
Oh, it's a HUGE cultural lifestyle change that we're in search of! We do NOT like WV people at all...oh, how I could get into ranting right about now, but I won't!

We need and want a much, much more green, natural, outdoor, Democratic, natural foods, health foods, holistic place to live. Can't wait to get the hell OUT of what we've come to call "Wes-by-God"!!!!! We want to take the few things that seem good (the mountains, the trees, the streams & lakes) and leave the badly-educated, Republican good ol' boys, the heat, the crappy *****-hole towns and the 'me first cause I'm drivin' a pickup truck' attitudes behind!!!!!

Old 08-09-2011, 05:55 PM

9,547 posts, read 9,322,210 times
WHAT? You really want to exchange the good 'ol boys driving around with pick-up trucks with Confederate flags hoisted in the back alongside a gun rack for a bunch of tree huggin' liberals who think that Obama is gods gift to mankind?

Come on down! We await your arrival. Come, join the 20% unemployment rate here in the great Willammette Valley! But wait.... the media says it's only around 9%, right? WRONG! The published unemployment rate does not include anyone who's unemployment has ran out after six months, or full time students who don't qualify for it, or anyone else that gets disqualified for one reason or another. Take whatever the media says and triple it.

Oh, and if your husband has a higher education, he is at an extreme disadvantage here. Companies don't want threats like that running around their facilities. If you got an interview lined up, and you really want the opportunity, don't be picky! Dive in and join the party!

Harbor Freight Tools is a retail gig just like all the rest of them. Is this for a position above the Store Manager level? If so, it may be decent. If not, expect $15 hour tops. This area LOVES to lowball people on their wages.

Also, I'm somewhat familiar with WV. My buddy just bought 26 acres of land between Morgantown and Fairmont for $17,000. That same ammout of land here goes for around $150-200 thousand, depending on the area. Just a little friendly advice, right now in this economy I would stay where my buck takes me the farthest. Take that as you will.

Last edited by ditchlights; 08-09-2011 at 06:23 PM..

Old 08-09-2011, 07:46 PM

88 posts, read 169,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillLookin' View Post
Oh, it's a HUGE cultural lifestyle change that we're in search of! We do NOT like WV people at all...oh, how I could get into ranting right about now, but I won't!

We need and want a much, much more green, natural, outdoor, Democratic, natural foods, health foods, holistic place to live. Can't wait to get the hell OUT of what we've come to call "Wes-by-God"!!!!! We want to take the few things that seem good (the mountains, the trees, the streams & lakes) and leave the badly-educated, Republican good ol' boys, the heat, the crappy *****-hole towns and the 'me first cause I'm drivin' a pickup truck' attitudes behind!!!!!

Then by all means make the move. Despite what political ramblings may find their way onto the forums you are better off with educated open minded people around you than your present situation. If the move is paid for I would jump at the chance. There's a reason real estate is so cheap there and expensive here and it's not hard to figure out why. Personally I wouldn't pay $1000 "out in the holler" for 1000 acres to live back there, but to each his own.
Good luck and come enjoy the PNW.

Last edited by observer53; 08-25-2011 at 11:08 AM.. Reason: fixed quote

Old 08-10-2011, 09:41 AM

[quote=GreenNorthwestScott;20389838]
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillLookin' View Post

We need and want a much, much more green, natural, outdoor, Democratic, natural foods, health foods, holistic place to live. Can't wait to get the hell OUT of what we've come to call "Wes-by-God"!!!!! We want to take the few things that seem good (the mountains, the trees, the streams & lakes) and leave the badly-educated, Republican good ol' boys, the heat, the crappy *****-hole towns and the 'me first cause I'm drivin' a pickup truck' attitudes behind!!!!! [/quote

Then by all means make the move. Despite what political ramblings may find their way onto the forums you are better off with educated open minded people around you than your present situation. If the move is paid for I would jump at the chance. There's a reason real estate is so cheap there and expensive here and it's not hard to figure out why. Personally I wouldn't pay $1000 "out in the holler" for 1000 acres to live back there, but to each his own.
Good luck and come enjoy the PNW.
THANK YOU!!

Old 08-10-2011, 04:57 PM

9,547 posts, read 9,322,210 times
[quote=StillLookin';20396013]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenNorthwestScott View Post

THANK YOU!!
Sounds like you already have your mind made up. That's great! Like I said, come on over. From the sounds of it, going by the description of what you guys are looking for, I'm sure this area will be a vast improvement over your current situation. Just know that I was not exagerrating when I said the economy sucks here big time.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:34 PM

28 posts, read 41,482 times
I was born and raised in WV, but I also lived in Seattle (among other places). I just recently moved to Eugene. My wife and I like it here.

You don't have to worry about Marcellus Shale in Oregon, so that is one benefit. Income tax in Oregon is 9%, but there is no sales tax. You aren't allowed to pump your own gas, which takes some getting used to. I like the mild weather here, but the greyness gets to me from time to time. I find it way worse than the rain. It sounds to me like you'll like it out here based upon your description. Good Luck!

Old 08-11-2011, 03:35 AM

2,168 posts, read 3,190,882 times
What happened to the Harbor Freight comments? Did the get deleted as off topic?

Old 08-15-2011, 01:13 AM

247 posts, read 688,982 times
I agree that you'll like it out here. A lot. Think of Oregon as an expanded version of Berkeley Springs, WV. Pretty artsy and fairly liberal, for the most part.

We just moved here from DC but have lived all over the country. I love it here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area