U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 06:23 AM

48 posts, read 130,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Res Ipso View Post
I have a feeling if they're this paranoid about how they are going to be perceived as Christians, they're probably the type to be vocal -- and therefore they're in for a rough time. I can't imagine going anywhere in the U.S. to live and fearing religious persecution. ... except maybe in areas where people lay on the Christian a little thick.
They should be able to speak freely about their religious beliefs and conservative values anywhere in the US, Eugene included.

If LDS or Fundamentalist missionairies came to my door and tried to convert me, I would listen respectfully, say thank you, and say have a great day. In fact I have three complementary Books of Mormon right here, unread, that I accepted. I do intend to read them, someday. Understanding culture and religion is important.

There is nothing wrong with trying to convert, since by definition, freedom of speech includes debate, argumentation, and trying to persuade others.

As for what are they in for, if they don't want their kids to see gays, meth, hippies, and potheads, then Eugene is not the town for them. Personally, I have no issues with gays or hippies, but some people do. That's why people in this country tend to "sort themselves" into different towns, by their religious and cultural beliefs.

Personally, I would never live in Eugene because of the crime. Other Oregon cities of the same size have much less crime. In fact, for me, the more diverse the area - from liberal to conservative - the better, since I like to hear different perspectives so I can decide for myself.

But that's because I am a live and let live conservative independent type. Except for my family members where we all argue with each other, I don't care what people think or try to tell me and I don't argue with people. I do like to tease the far left sarcastically, but that's about it.

Religions and Great Architecture will both live forever, Frank Lloyd Wright said something like that.
Rate this post positively

Old 10-06-2011, 10:45 AM

1,592 posts, read 3,139,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B97701 View Post
Personally, I would never live in Eugene because of the crime. Other Oregon cities of the same size have much less crime.
Like where? Salem? Gresham? Medford? Something tells me you don't know what you're talking about. Like, in general.

Old 10-06-2011, 01:38 PM

235 posts, read 374,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Well as the target of attempted unwanted conversions, I would disagree. If I don't want to be persuaded I shouldn't have to put up with someone trying to persuade me.

But I have studied many religions and asked questions of those who followed it. Seeking knowledge of others' belief systems can be enlightening.
I agree Minervah, after being raised Roman Catholic and Episcopal, I studied at a Mysteries school for three years and covered many of the world's religions. Fascinating stuff and I'm usually in love until I get to the dogma.

Since I've moved to Eugene, I have on numerous occasions been borderline harassed to attend a certain church or bible program by people whom I know through business. This had never happened to me before moving here and I've been a little shocked. Now as soon as the topic surfaces I snuff it out.

Old 10-11-2011, 09:18 PM

3,704 posts, read 5,249,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkl654321 View Post
...Jehovah's Witnesses at the front door.... Before they could start their spiel, I'd ask them, "Have you considered the benefits of serving the Prince of Darkness?"
When I was growing up in Oregon, my family totally did something similar to that. It was pretty hilarious. My current spouse doesn't let me do that here

Old 10-11-2011, 09:25 PM

3,704 posts, read 5,249,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
I am not trying to be rude or snarky or whatever but when I read this I was wondering how someone would know this - did you get that info from the most recent census or something? Because I have actually often wondered where we stand as a country... and broken down further into states and cities... Personally I don't think there are as many Christians in America as hardcore American Christians like to think there are.

I grew up in Dallas, TX where most people do certainly affiliate themselves with a church and consider themselves Christian. Eugene is so very different, but also feels a lot more tolerant, it seems, of others differing belief systems.

In Texas, if you didn't go to church on Sunday's, people made all kinds of assumptions about you. Here, it's no big deal. Live and let live, to each their own, it feels much healthier spiritually here.
Religious Identity: States Differ Widely

will answer some of your questions.

There are a couple of other studies out there, but the bottom line: while Oregon still has a majority of Christians, it has one of the (if not the) highest percentage of people "unaffiliated" with religion. I've never quite seen anything like it. I grew up in and around Corvallis and it's just not a church-going area, and those I knew who DID go to church weren't super-serious about it in many cases.

Nobody gets down on someone for being religious or liking Church in Oregon, it just isn't quite the same part of the social fabric as the South. It still blows my mind to think of Georgia and the number of people who think absolutely nothing of spending most or all of Sunday in church.

Old 10-26-2011, 04:46 PM

31 posts, read 54,103 times
Default Religion

There are all kinds of people here in the Eugene area. Lots of churches too. I've seen and talked to religious and non religious people and no one is prejudice towards anyone that I could tell. But there are ignorant people everywhere, so you can't say just because there is one you met, we all are that way. Bad apples in every bunch, but this is a good area for the most part.

Enjoy your move!

Old 10-31-2011, 05:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,169 times
I will speak as a non-Christian, and somewhat for my friends who are non-Christian. For an altered perspective.
I take a live-and-let-live attitude. That is, you don't prosthelytize at me, I won't do it to you. That may sound harsh, but that is the root of the matter. Your results anywhere you go depend as much on you as others.

I don't think you need to be afraid of a hostile attitude. If you or your family wish me a "Merry Christmas!", I will wish you one back, or I may say "Happy Solstice!" Take it in the spirit it was offered, just as I do. The words do not matter as much as the goodwill. I even have Christian friends of all denominations who I am willing to discuss religion with, without putting them down or disparaging what they believe. I will not care if you or your family espouses your believe in a non-threatening manner. I hope you do come to Eugene, it really is a wonderful town.

Old 11-22-2011, 05:17 AM

84 posts, read 133,317 times
Usually the hostility comes from the Christian side, and its sacharin sweet and cuts like a knife. Seem it way to many times in the South.

Old 11-25-2011, 06:52 PM
1/7

8 posts, read 13,609 times
"For example, to use the specific point of teaching or not teaching Christian beliefs, many here find it absolutely abhorrent to indoctrinate a young child in ANY belief system. Up to a certain age, children pretty much believe anything their parents tell them as absolute (sorry) Gospel. To ram a dubious cosmology into those childrens' heads during a time when they don't have the critical faculties to examine it is mind-rape, even if done in "loving" fashion."

Well said. Mind rape indeed! Let the children play...

Old 11-25-2011, 07:01 PM
1/7

8 posts, read 13,609 times
There must be a reason you have named yourself QuickStudy178 !

It does not appear that you took much time or effort to fathom life and it's deeper meanings...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area