U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2007, 08:14 AM

5 posts, read 17,728 times

Advertisements

My family and I want to move to Eugene area from the east coast. What advice, do you have? What are the neighborhoods to avoid? The pros and cons of life in Eugene? The diversity? The types of resteraunts Is there a homeschooling community there?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2007, 12:56 PM

174 posts, read 892,012 times
Life in Eugene, well. It used to be the most liberal area there was. That has settled down some as it has become more yuppie. There are TONS of places to eat. Housing prices have gotten very high for the quality that you get. High priced junk I always say. Huge homeschooling community though I had a hard time fitting in with them. I thought they were cliquey. (spelling?) There used to be a place where homeschooled kids could go to take classes. Bethel something it was called I think. We tried it out once. Lots of homeless people and significant population of homeless kids. Panhandlers all over. Pretty big drug issues. Getting to be more crime. Pretty good diversity being a college town. I guess it depends on where you are coming from. I prefer the space and peaceful nature of Montana. But if you are coming from a nasty city on the east coast Eugene might be very good for you.

Old 08-30-2007, 10:08 AM

31 posts, read 157,576 times
Is Eugene really that bad?? I was hoping to move to a place that is nice. I want to raise a family and I thought Eugune would be ideal, considering it's right in the middle, there are schools with Asian Studies (my major in school soon), and about 3 1/2 hours from CA.

Old 08-30-2007, 10:59 AM

2,300 posts, read 4,128,925 times
I think the Eugene-Springfield metropolitan area has some of the same problems that any metropolitan area with 350,000 people has.

Old 08-30-2007, 11:04 AM

31 posts, read 157,576 times
Well Eugene has the school I want to go to, I want to take Asian Studies and I am having trouble finding any school in Oregon, besides Portland that has Asian Studies. I'm trying to find a place that's close to CA this way when my fiance travels for his wrestling he can come home and I can go to school still. I want to raise a family dearly and I really thought Eugene was the best place. Are there perks in Eugene? Whats the ethinicity there? Is it an art-like culture? Are there areas good enough to raise a family? What's the weather and schooling like?

I'm sorry for asking so many questions but before I make the 3 day trip to visit and scope it out I want to narrow down the places I want to look at.

Old 08-31-2007, 09:54 PM

1,218 posts, read 3,783,139 times
I live in Salema and I personally think Eugene-Springfield is a wonderful area. I've been there dozens of times, have family there and do business there frequently. Panhandlers? Show me a metro area of 350K that doesn't have them, the same with drugs, et al. Eugene is a delightful area and becoming more and more delightful. More moneyed people are moving in and they seem to be diluting the "do nothing" attitude that has prevailed from the far left sensibilities that reigned for so long.

Old 09-02-2007, 04:33 PM

174 posts, read 892,012 times
I wouldn't say the metro area is 350,000 people. The county may be that many people but many live in rural areas. Eugene is around 150,000 now and maybe Springfield is 70,000? I would move there before many other places in the country and no, it isn't THAT bad. Spokane, WA is WAY worse IMO. The metro there is 400,000 and it shows. There are plenty of things to do with kids so I wouldn't say Don't Move there. For an urban area it isn't too bad. I just like people to know the down side too so they know what to expect.

Old 09-02-2007, 09:35 PM

2,300 posts, read 4,128,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orygun View Post
I wouldn't say the metro area is 350,000 people. The county may be that many people but many live in rural areas. Eugene is around 150,000 now and maybe Springfield is 70,000?
You are right, orygun. I got the 350,000 figure based on th 2000 census figure of 322,959 for the Eugene-Springfield MSA, which is basically all of Lane County. I wasn't aware that the MSA was the entire county. The 2000 census gives a city of Eugene population of 137893 and a city of Springfield population of 52864. So I guess the rest of the county had about 130k people in 2000.

I'll restate: I think the Eugene-Springfield area has some of the same problems that any metropolitan area with about 200,000 people has.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area