U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 05:16 PM

6,061 posts, read 13,855,897 times

Advertisements

I thought I'd start a discussion for the Eugene Occupy/99% movement in Eugene.

I don't know if the Occupy campers would qualify as a tent city or not, but I've heard some people talking - people who spent a few days living at Alton Baker Park with the homeless and Occupy protestors there - who say that the whole Occupy movement in Eugene was being funded by some lady from San Francisco - Lynne Gravelle Mosier? Has anyone else heard that?

They said she's really wealthy, comes from a connected wealthy family, etc.

But at the same time... they are also taking all these donations from outside sources. This kind of upsets me. There are so many needy families here in Lane County who could use those donations. Families who do not have the choice. Protesters have a choice, and they should pack their own lunch and bring their own water - you know? Doesn't seem right that the hungry should still go hungry while these Occupy protesters are given free food and are allowed to camp for free in our city park.

Anyway - sorry got on a soapbox there - the camp has also set up their own police force called the "peacekeepers" evidently. But it hasn't always been successful at keeping the peace. There have been people who have left due to drug use, harassment, and supposedly one lady was raped but they weren't sure if that was true or not.

Anyway - has anyone else spent time at the camp or know anyone who has? What are your thoughts about the protesters being given a free ride and being allowed to camp at the park? And what about the homeless that have been attracted to the movement? Is that a good thing for the movement or a not-so-good thing?

I am curious about this wealthy lady, too.... Lynne Gravelle Mosier... why is she coming up here to little ole' Eugene to support this? Especially if she's one of the 1%?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 06:31 PM

1,592 posts, read 3,138,818 times
People can give to whoever they want to give. It's not like they're pillaging the Food For Lane County provisions to feed these people.

as for the rest...I don't know. I bet it is pretty different in person than what one would expect based on hearsay or news stories. don't know anything about the lady, but maybe she is like a Warren Buffet or something, a rich person who wants to see a more even distribution of the wealth.

not sure when you last went to alton baker park was, but it has pretty much always been a tent city anyways.

Old 10-27-2011, 06:17 PM

235 posts, read 374,058 times
haggardhouseelf, it's funny that you posted this. We think along the same lines. I was debating with a client about it earlier this week. I said that if I was still actively volunteering with the homeless, I'd be giving them protest signs and tents so that they could go camp with the other 99%.

Old 10-28-2011, 05:20 PM

So they are at the green area at the outer edges of the UofO campus next to the Mill Race now along Franklin Blvd. There don't seem to be as many as there were at Alton Baker Park. The University has said they may camp there until 8am Monday morning, then they must leave. I wonder where they will go next? And I wonder if the homeless are tagging along for free food and shelter, or if they have booted the homeless out? I haven't heard the latest...

Old 10-29-2011, 08:35 PM

22,444 posts, read 29,924,107 times
Lynne Gravel Mosier lives in Half Moon Bay, California. She's socially and politically active. Her father married a somewhat well off woman but the Gravel family itself was never wealthy. At one time he was a U.S. Senator in Alaska, which is the extent of his political connections.

I don't think she's "funding" the entire thing, though I do know that she's a supporter of the OWS movement. She is a businesswoman who works as a hedge fund manager.

Old 10-31-2011, 11:33 PM

Interesting. The person who mentioned her name to me and said she was funding it said her family was related to the Guggenheim's somehow. I don't know anything about it, but was curious.

I was at soccer and ultimate games all weekend, and at three different public schools today, and the occupy protests were being discussed by many people I met and spent time with at those events. I only spoke with one person who sympathized with them. They supported their right to protest but couldn't explain to me what they were protesting. Most of the other people we heard or spoke with didn't seem to understand what they were trying to accomplish, either. Most of the people vented disbelief that they weren't doing more harm than good.

I honestly don't know what to think about the protesters. I don't understand how camping out is really going to accomplish anything. I think they should try to come up with ballots and get signatures and change legislation if they really are upset about something. But maybe they are doing those things?

I think it's ironic that the OWS people seem to want big corporations and wealthy people to share their wealth and not be so greedy, and yet you hear about OWS camps turning away homeless people. I think that's why more people aren't supportive of the OWS people... the whole thing is just a mess of too many different upsets and no clear focus or leadership, coupled with hypocrisy.

And here's Mr. Michael Moore, film maker man... saying capitalism no longer works but... yes thank you for making me rich by seeing and purchasing my movies...

I just don't think I really "get" what they are trying to accomplish, yet. A part of me feels like it's just some big distraction, a political pawn. There's something else we should be watching, really, but this occupy thing has our attention instead because it's so sad and bizarre.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:31 AM

72 posts, read 220,205 times
You're creating simplified dialectics here, HHE. Sure, the 99% movement seems protest qua protest here in Eugene, where we do not see much of the controlling wealth of the remaining one percent. I support the spirit of the movement, but I would think its enthusiasm better spent in Salem or Portland.

Sadly, I think it's bound for martyrdom in its initial incarnation. Part of the problem may include discrimination against the lowest of the low, the bottom 15% of people too poor, uneducated, unlanded, infirm, or indeed lazy to really secure jobs; however, it's really the bottom .5% of the top one percent upon which the movement pends success. I'm speaking of the petit bourgeouis whose ranks Michael Moore has joined, regardless of how his simplified moralizing sympathises more with blue collar ethos (e.g. Capitalism: A Love Story). These are people who really don't earn enough to be truly wealthy unless they thoroughly eschew both sides of the socio-economic divide by refusing to spend money on luxury goods signifying higher social status and spit upon traditional working class methods of conserving by investing in money market speculation. This segment earning above $375k but less than several million provide services to the truly rich, and are as disposable as wait staff in the long run. The new p-b are always a volatile front line in a tug-of-war for the psychic colonization of nouveau-riche wealth and the morals of the miserly middle-classed and upwardly-motivated. The 99% have to see they have more pull, even if the top .5% have a bigger piece of rope.

The bigger problem is winter is coming, and establishment always has property law on their side. Unless the 99% can seriously occupy property and disrupt services for the top .5%, which would include crashing servers and disrupting harbors and ports, I don't foresee it succeeding in the near term.

And yeah, it's nothing but symbolic in Eugene.

Old 11-01-2011, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
Interesting. The person who mentioned her name to me and said she was funding it said her family was related to the Guggenheim's somehow. I don't know anything about it, but was curious.
Not unless Mike Gravel's second wife has some connection, or possibly her husband, but I don't think so. They certainly never had access to Guggenheim level of wealth in Alaska, and I think any connection to the family would have come out when he was a long shot contender for POTUS in 2008. When I googled Lynne's name using the spelling you provided in your OP, I found something saying the same thing, that she was funding it, etc., but it was so nasty, obscene, and sub literate that it would probably be against the TOS for me to post it here.

Lynn Mosier is politically active and she has spoken at a few OWS events, including Eugene, and has possibly donated, but it's probably just a street rumor that she's funding the whole thing.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Not unless Mike Gravel's second wife has some connection, or possibly her husband, but I don't think so. They certainly never had access to Guggenheim level of wealth in Alaska, and I think any connection to the family would have come out when he was a long shot contender for POTUS in 2008. When I googled Lynne's name using the spelling you provided in your OP, I found something saying the same thing, that she was funding it, etc., but it was so nasty, obscene, and sub literate that it would probably be against the TOS for me to post it here.

Lynn Mosier is politically active and she has spoken at a few OWS events, including Eugene, and has possibly donated, but it's probably just a street rumor that she's funding the whole thing.
I saw that, too. The person I heard it from is a professor at the U of O.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
I saw that, too. The person I heard it from is a professor at the U of O.
Some of them don't have the greatest credibility either. the gravel's never had significant money; if there's a connection at all it's through marriage somehow. But nonetheless, Lynne Mosier works a regular job and lives in a regular house.

Edited---it does seem that the Guggenheim foundation has provided some funding for something called Direct Democracy, something with Lynne Mosier has been active in. Maybe that's the connection.

Eugene always does seem to like a good protest, sometimes it seems just for the sake of the protest itself., but I'm sure there are quite a few there who have deeper reasons than that.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 11-01-2011 at 11:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area