U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2012, 11:03 PM

281 posts, read 637,265 times

Advertisements

With the gaping holes finally gone, and construction of new offices, LCC, the Broadway Commerce Center and the recently announced apartments buildings, I'm starting to wonder if downtown Eugene is actually coming together. Thoughts?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 11:14 AM

10 posts, read 16,323 times
I heard and read for a while that downtown Eugene was not the place to go there. Grungy in appearance, druggies and low lives everywhere, and nothing worth doing or seeing pretty much sum up the tales I've heard. So when I visited it last summer for the first time, naturally I had to at least drive through downtown. I was so pleasantly surprised by what I saw that I parked, walked around a bit, and stopped for a bite to eat. Maybe it's because I saw it on a beautiful summer day but the downtown looked clean and pleasantly landscaped. The vast majority of the people looked pretty regular and unassuming as well.

I thought the downtown was nice. I'm glad to see other people think enough of it to move their businesses there. It'd be cool to see it further developed.

Old 02-01-2012, 12:26 PM

281 posts, read 637,265 times
That's great to hear. The problems you describe were a reality only a few years ago. The city has since implemented a law where certain criminals are banned from the downtown area and it's made a big difference in my opinion.

Old 02-07-2012, 12:01 AM

6,061 posts, read 13,870,967 times
Did I read recently that they are making the exclusion zone permanent? I really wasn't sure how that was going to fly in Eugene... but it actually seems to be working.

I do hope that downtown begins to blossom. I've always though that Eugene is a lot like the state rock of Oregon - the thunder-egg, or geode. It can look a little rough on the outside, but when you really get to know what's inside it, it's really something special.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area