U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2012, 03:09 PM

76 posts, read 130,127 times

Advertisements

I'm writing on behalf of my son (he's living in a mud hut in West Africa at the moment and has no internet access), who will be entering graduate school at the U of Oregon in the fall. He'll likely be living in Eugene for the next 4 or 5 years. He'd like to live reasonably close to the university, but not in the middle of undergraduate mayhem. He's a liberal kid and likes to have a good time, but he's a serious student too and so is looking for recommendations about suitable neighborhoods. Any thoughts would help. Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 06:05 PM

297 posts, read 682,792 times
craigslist.org (Eugene) has rentals and roommate situations. Only rent in person of course, don't send money.

You will not find any mud huts though. (Would not last long with all the rain.) I'm afraid he will need to live in a regular house or building!

Then pretty much any neighborhood in Eugene is OK. Around the University is a nice area.

Here is the local bus (for routes)...
Lane Transit District

I also searched google.com for University of Oregon Graduate Housing and found this...
Graduate Village - University Housing

Old 03-02-2012, 02:29 PM

122 posts, read 302,273 times
You absolutely need to check out places in person here. Eugene has the typical longterm slumlording problems of any college town, and when you add that to the general workshy attitude and widespread regional denial of the climate, you can run into some really horrendous problems with rentals.

*Everyone I know* who rented sight unseen walked into a moldy hellhole. I checked my rental out before signing my lease, but assumed that normal cleaning would be done before I move in. Nope!

Read the reviews of the local property management companies on yelp for more stories - make sure you read the filtered ones.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:59 PM

2,819 posts, read 5,192,943 times
Thanks for the link to graduate housing. My son has also been accepted to and is contemplating attending grad school at OU starting next fall. If he goes, he was hoping to find something near campus that wasn't full of noisy undergrads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area