U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 06:53 PM

7 posts, read 39,205 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Eugene from Orlando in the hopfully very near future. We first need to sell our house. The real estate market in Orlando has taken a dive and nothing is moving. What is the housing market in Eugene? We have a son with dyslexia but a high IQ. Are there any schools that might be good for him? How are the public schools? What about the Catholic schools? Do you know of any family friendly neighborhoods? Are there any new areas of town with new shopping centers and new neighborhoods? How would you charaterize the town of Eugene (Old and Ugly or New and Attractive).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2007, 09:57 PM

2,302 posts, read 4,233,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmelite View Post
Are there any new areas of town with new shopping centers and new neighborhoods? How would you charaterize the town of Eugene (Old and Ugly or New and Attractive).
If by "New and Attractive" you mean cookie cutter homes with postage-stamp-sized backyards and strip malls that look good now, but will be torn down in 20 years to make way for a new strip mall that will be fashionable in 2027, then the answer is yes, you will find those kinds of neighborhoods in Eugene.

Your "Old and Ugly" neighborhoods include several with historic homes that have been magnificently restored and beautiful 100-year-old oaks lining the streets.

I guess if old is ugly in your opinion, then you might dislike a lot of Eugene. Downtown has a real mid-20th century feel to it in my opinion. It's not beautiful, but I wouldn't call it ugly. You'll particularly dislike the University of Oregon campus. Some of those buildings date back to the 1870s.

Old 09-16-2007, 05:53 PM

7 posts, read 39,205 times
Thank you so much for your response. While we do desire to have a new and clean area in which to live (some of what you described) we also value the historic areas as well. Where we live now, most of the older historic areas are just torn down and replaced with new ugly buildings. I prefer a place with character. Old is not always ugly, in fact what you described sounds so peaceful (old oak trees). I just don't want to move to a place with abandoned buildings one right after another or where all you have is a Walmart with potholes and filled with trash in the parking lot. If the locals respect their environment then we should adapt just fine. I can't wait to see the campus.

Old 09-16-2007, 11:08 PM

152 posts, read 841,912 times
Old and beautiful...but it sounds like you might be better off in Southern Ca.

Old 09-16-2007, 11:42 PM

4 posts, read 20,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmelite View Post
We are moving to Eugene from Orlando in the hopfully very near future. We first need to sell our house. The real estate market in Orlando has taken a dive and nothing is moving. What is the housing market in Eugene? We have a son with dyslexia but a high IQ. Are there any schools that might be good for him? How are the public schools? What about the Catholic schools? Do you know of any family friendly neighborhoods? Are there any new areas of town with new shopping centers and new neighborhoods? How would you charaterize the town of Eugene (Old and Ugly or New and Attractive).
Why are you moving to Eugene and not to the mountains? I'm partial to the mountains because I like you moved from the flatlands of Florida. I've only been to Eugene once but it was a pretty cool place. Has a Hippie feel to it,a lot of tree huggin going on here. If your moving because of the university I think this town blows away the town of Corvalis, but if your moving just to get out of the heat, we chose Bend which is a very young and hip town with all the great outdoor activities that seems to be everywhere in Oregon.There is a good catholic school here too,my wife works in the public school system here but we will send our kids to a private school if possible. I have spent alot of time in O town my in-laws are from the area of Oviedo. You will not find the urban spraw anywhere here in Oregon like Orlando, there is no I-4 traffic whatsoever and people seem much more genuine here . You should check out the Bend area even if you move to Eugene.I don't think there is a better place to live in Oregon the only drawback my wife says is there is no mall.( there is but not like the Millenia Mall). Good Luck!

Old 09-19-2007, 02:20 PM

9 posts, read 30,956 times
Yeah, what is the deal with the postage stamp thing in Eugene? We've been shopping for a house in Eugene for months now and it seems like everyone wants to live right up the neighbor's butt there. I'm sorry, but it's just not attractive to have a window that looks right into the neighbor's house. I'm sure the tree huggers like to have everyone contained, but kids need a place to play that doesn't involve driving there or walking half an hour to a park--not that I'm against walking, but I am against having to plan a commute just to go outside and play.

Old 09-19-2007, 02:46 PM

4,723 posts, read 14,674,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida transplant View Post
Why are you moving to Eugene and not to the mountains? I'm partial to the mountains because I like you moved from the flatlands of Florida. I've only been to Eugene once but it was a pretty cool place. Has a Hippie feel to it,a lot of tree huggin going on here. If your moving because of the university I think this town blows away the town of Corvalis, but if your moving just to get out of the heat, we chose Bend which is a very young and hip town with all the great outdoor activities that seems to be everywhere in Oregon.There is a good catholic school here too,my wife works in the public school system here but we will send our kids to a private school if possible. I have spent alot of time in O town my in-laws are from the area of Oviedo. You will not find the urban spraw anywhere here in Oregon like Orlando, there is no I-4 traffic whatsoever and people seem much more genuine here . You should check out the Bend area even if you move to Eugene.I don't think there is a better place to live in Oregon the only drawback my wife says is there is no mall.( there is but not like the Millenia Mall). Good Luck!
May I ask why you think it "blows Corvallis out of the water"? Thanks,(curious about the area,used to live in Portland)

Old 09-20-2007, 05:30 AM

43 posts, read 330,699 times
You'd prefer West Eugene. Look up places along N. Terry St.

There's a Catholic high school school that seems to be very well respected. It's called Marist High School.

P.S.
People still use the word "tree hugger"? Yikes, dudes.

Old 09-20-2007, 05:32 AM

43 posts, read 330,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcapitan View Post
Old and beautiful...but it sounds like you might be better off in Southern Ca.
Many parts of SoCal are way older than things here in Eugene. Especially in Los Angeles. I think nowhere mixes the old with the new like Downtown LA

Old 09-20-2007, 07:23 AM

4,723 posts, read 14,674,298 times
[quote=Eugguy;1537735 I think nowhere mixes the old with the new like Downtown LA [/QUOTE]
How true,,a good example when I visited=I had dinner next to Tony Curtis--and his wife
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area