Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2012, 12:32 PM

1 posts, read 989 times

Advertisements

I have been browsing the threads for information to help my wife and I with our decision to relocate to Eugene and I wanted to get more current opinions because most posts I found are old.

We are looking for information/opinions related to:

1. Safe Neighborhood locations (seeing a lot of posts about home robberies, car thefts and meth problems)

2. Good School locations (We have a 2 month old, but will want to prepare for the future)

3. Locations in the metro area that growing/renovating for business and residential

4. Organizations to join to help a new to Eugene business owner.

Thank you for all your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 11:16 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,321,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUKATiger View Post
I have been browsing the threads for information to help my wife and I with our decision to relocate to Eugene and I wanted to get more current opinions because most posts I found are old.

1. Safe Neighborhood locations (seeing a lot of posts about home robberies, car thefts and meth problems)

Yes all happen. Maybe more so than other cities.

2. Good School locations (We have a 2 month old, but will want to prepare for the future)

Education in Oregon is in flux right now so asking for 5 to 6 years in the future is not going to bring a valid answer.

3. Locations in the metro area that growing/renovating for business and residential

Growth is slow right now, but new business is always welcome. I don't think there is much room for new contractors right now.

The Chamber in any of these towns. Try Coos Bay. Ask for Tim Bishop.

See my answers in Red above.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:14 AM

1,204 posts, read 2,525,545 times
A lot of your questions can be answered by reading other threads.

Old 04-25-2012, 01:00 AM

231 posts, read 778,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUKATiger View Post

1. Safe neighborhood: south of 20th Ave is all good. Ferry Street Bridge area has some good options. North west and north east sections have some good choices too. Stay away from Barger and Whitaker areas.

2. No idea except to say South High is the clear leader among the local high schools.

3. "Locations in the metro area that growing/renovating for business and residential"? The only area that fits that description might be downtown. I think you may not understand clearly that Eugene is a small city, so this type of description is not often used in these types of cities.

4. Probably the chamber of commerce, but you might also check out the programs they have at Lane Small Business Development Center (Lane Small Business Development Center).

Old 04-25-2012, 02:44 PM

Strange. There are many who would give the oposite answer Eugenified gave on 1 and 2. South is one of the oldest schools in Eugene and has always had a reputation. Not always good sad to say.

Old 04-25-2012, 05:18 PM

231 posts, read 778,260 times
@MUKATiger: Here are a couple of resources you can consider as well:

Schools: Eugene Schools - Eugene, OR | GreatSchools

South Eugene High School, 10 points (highest rating)

Sheldon High School, 9 points

Churchill High School, 7 points

Crow Middle/High School, 6 points

North Eugene High School, 6 points

Willamette High School, 5 points

The state has some very detailed report cards for each school as well. The results are similar to the above point scores. Go to the following link and pull down the menu to select the Eugene school district: AYP and Report Card Download - Oregon Department of Education

Crime: There's a nice crime map on the Register Guard website. It shows crimes by the day, so you need to page through a couple weeks of results in order to see a clear trend. You can also left click on any little red dot and get a quick idea of the type of crime. For example, a "patrol check" red dot is obviously not anything as serious as a "theft" red dot. It takes some time to wade through the numbers, but it's worth it to know the true story. Eugene police call log (beta) | The Register-Guard | Eugene, Oregon

Old 04-25-2012, 06:36 PM

Funny stuff. Where do they come up with that? Sheldon is great. North Eugene is very good. Churchill is one I question. I guess I need to see what there scoring criteria is because South Eugene has always been a school with problems, and Churchill seems to make the papers a lot. Crow does not surprise me. It has the same thing going for it that made Powers the only 100% school in the state. And Powers is almost wholly Welfare and Social Security.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
View detailed profiles of: