Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 04:10 PM

17,633 posts, read 22,626,536 times

Advertisements

Howdy travellingirl .

If you desire less rain & more sunshine you might like Grants Pass. The annual rainfall is usually more like 25 inches to 30 inches. I don't know how many sunny days a year, but there are many. Grants Pass Oregon In Southern Rogue Valley

I don't know if there is still a Starbucks in GP, but there are 3 in Medford.

We have happily lived in the mountains a bit nw of GP, at 2000'. Many winter days we get at least afew hours of sunshine. We have bought our vittles in Grants Pass over five lustrum. I've talked to many helpful, friendly folks around town. I've never had a problem with anyone.

Best of luck to you with your decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2012, 06:44 PM

31 posts, read 58,554 times
Living in Eugene is different than living in CA - especially Bakersfield. It's green here! :-) We do have rain to make it that way. But, there's so much good about this town! I can help you find a good property manager to help you find housing if you're interested in learning more... just let me know. Vacancies are very low here in Eugene.

Portland is also a nice place and lots to do, but you should visit both to find out what attracts you most. Some areas in Portland are very very nice and others are not so, but you'll find that in every city you go to practically. I can help you find a property manager up in Portland as well if you choose that area. (I am not a property manager if you're wondering) I love to visit Portland just to get away to a big city every now and then. The nice thing about Eugene is it's close to everything and it's all less than 2 hours away. Florence for the beaches, Bend for skiing or even closer is Willamette Pass or HooDoo for skiing, Portland for shopping, Seattle is 5 hours away which is also a ton of fun! Good luck on your move!!

Old 05-06-2012, 08:32 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,328,019 times
Be cautious when using a property manager. A lot of Scammers in Eugene.

Old 05-06-2012, 01:03 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
There are a lot of scammers anywhere rentals are tight. If more in Eugene it may be because students don't have a lot of life experience and they can be duped.

Old 05-07-2012, 01:17 PM

It's the anti drug background check run on everyone. Half are charged for, but never actually run.

Old 06-05-2012, 03:02 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,924,999 times
i think eugene would be a great place for you! good luck and let us know how it goes.

Old 06-09-2012, 07:20 PM

I just contacted the DOJ for a family member who emailed me another Manager Background Check scam. One apartment rented two weeks before they took the background check fee.

Old 06-16-2012, 11:45 AM

56 posts, read 124,099 times
Eugene sounds like a great place for you. There are several god microbreweries here (Ninkasi, Steelhead, etc.) A fair amount of live music, and plenty of bike paths. I live in Eugene right now. I'd suggest renting a room in a house for 3 to 6 months with some similar roommates (age, interests) and get to know Eugene that way. I've found it is not hard to meet and make friends here. You can find a room in a house share from $300/month (including utilities) on up, with $400 to $450 including utilities around average. The Whitaker area could be a fun place to stay for a while, there is a microbrewery there, several live music venues, restaurants, food carts. It's a very colorful part of town. Stay away from the Gateway area of Springfield, unless you want to live in the middle of what you are trying to get away from. I rented off of craigslist, and previewed the place in person before signing anything or handing any money over. I would not use a rental management agency myself, but there is one called NW Rental Services that I have used several years back with good results. There is a glut of inexpensive room rentals here, especially in the summer.

I would consider $5k in savings more than enough if you land here with a job in place. Eugene is a place that you can live frugally if you desire, and there are many bike riders here. There are weird people here, and that's what makes this such an interesting place. If you get, "weirded out" by weird people, Eugene may not be the place for you. It is a town where many fly their, "Freak Flag" high in the air for all to see.

Moderator cut: personal attack You asked for some tips on what area might suit you, and some average costs, etc. It's YOUR BUSINESS if you want to work for Starbucks. Having a job ahead of time is a great thing. You would really be a the top of the curve of people who relocate here.

Eugene is a fun place! I enjoy living here and the people are friendly. Enjoy your choice, it's yours.

Last edited by Kimballette; 06-21-2012 at 07:29 PM.. Reason: personal attack
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area