U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 03:48 PM

8,000 posts, read 15,457,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1208 View Post
Ok, well I say it's for everyone. Except maybe you.
Funny. I have lived there several times. You are right. It was not for me, and it is not for everyone.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2012, 07:50 PM

122 posts, read 297,972 times
I think this thread is just too calm and noncontroversial so I am going to add in the following:

The Whiteaker is the only neighborhood in Eugene I would consider living in; outside of Portland it is the only neighborhood in Oregon I would consider living in. At least the freaks in the Whiteaker have facial tattoos so you can tell who they are just by looking. The rest of Eugene might look superficially normal; maybe a little rundown, maybe a little overgrown, but more or less normal, right? DON'T BE FOOLED. I have never met more socially bizarre, inept, unchancy people in my life. I'm not talking about everybody but there is a strain of hick-from-hell that infests the rest of Eugene and is why the place is so dysfunctional.

The Whiteaker is comparatively normal. I have kids here, we've had zero problems.

Old 05-06-2012, 08:00 PM

2,573 posts, read 5,003,198 times
Is Whitaker anything like the Hawthorne-Belmont neighborhood in Portland (only cheaper, obviously)? Meaning, "colorful," with interesting people and shops? I'm just curious because my son is moving to Eugene for grad school later this summer and while I know he'll want to live closer to campus than that, we're just trying to get a feel for some of the neighborhoods we haven't been to yet.

Old 05-07-2012, 02:15 PM

None of the neighborhoods are that far from campus.

Old 05-07-2012, 04:31 PM

6,061 posts, read 13,801,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
Is Whitaker anything like the Hawthorne-Belmont neighborhood in Portland (only cheaper, obviously)? Meaning, "colorful," with interesting people and shops? I'm just curious because my son is moving to Eugene for grad school later this summer and while I know he'll want to live closer to campus than that, we're just trying to get a feel for some of the neighborhoods we haven't been to yet.
I wouldn't say so, no. They feel very different. The Whit in Eugene has a dirty anarchist vibe to it, currently anyway. It seems to be trying to clean itself up. (I don't necessarily mean dirty in a bad way, either.) The Hawthorne is like every latest-greatest hipster trend got stirred-up, eaten, and thrown up by some pro-ana devotee with daddy and mama's money to blow. Maybe this would help: I could totally see Kurt Cobain hanging out in the Whiteaker today. I couldn't say the same thing about the Hawthorne.

Sorry if that's offensive.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:07 PM

122 posts, read 297,972 times
There is no shopping in the Whiteaker.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:24 PM

2,573 posts, read 5,003,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
I wouldn't say so, no. They feel very different. The Whit in Eugene has a dirty anarchist vibe to it, currently anyway. It seems to be trying to clean itself up. (I don't necessarily mean dirty in a bad way, either.) The Hawthorne is like every latest-greatest hipster trend got stirred-up, eaten, and thrown up by some pro-ana devotee with daddy and mama's money to blow. Maybe this would help: I could totally see Kurt Cobain hanging out in the Whiteaker today. I couldn't say the same thing about the Hawthorne.

Sorry if that's offensive.
Heh, not at all. In fact, one of the reasons my friends in the Hawthorne area couldn't convince me to move there was after visiting them a few times, I realized I couldn't handle all the pretentious hipsters. But Whitaker doesn't sound like an area my son would enjoy, either, except to stroll through out of curiosity. We lived in San Francisco until he was 12 and we both enjoy a variety of kinds of people and neighborhoods, but visiting them is one thing; living in them is quite another.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinseattle View Post
There is no shopping in the Whiteaker.

Sure there is. There is "The Apple Market" and some C-Stores. About thirty or so other businesses too. What are you looking for? There must be twenty places you can get dope. And Prostitution is not an unknown profession in "The Whitaker".

Old 05-08-2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
Heh, not at all. In fact, one of the reasons my friends in the Hawthorne area couldn't convince me to move there was after visiting them a few times, I realized I couldn't handle all the pretentious hipsters. But Whitaker doesn't sound like an area my son would enjoy, either, except to stroll through out of curiosity. We lived in San Francisco until he was 12 and we both enjoy a variety of kinds of people and neighborhoods, but visiting them is one thing; living in them is quite another.
Tell him to check out the area around Amazon Park, pool, and Community Center; the friendly street area; the college hill area... he will be near the college, and those areas (not all of the streets but many of them) are really fun. My son's ultimate coach lives over by the amazon pool and so I've been becoming more familiar with that area... I think it would be great for a college kid. Close to everything you need... it's a feel good area. I wouldn't mind my son living there while he attends college. And it's flat... so biking and walking is easier.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:54 AM

VRC Mall is right across the river from the Whiteaker neighborhood. In fact, it's a pleasant walk through the Owen Rose Garden, across the pedestrian bridge where you'll get to stop and look out over the Willamette if you'd like, through a pretty park along bike trails and a community garden... presto - you're at the mall. My kids and I have walked and ridden our bikes this way many, many times. Especially when they were much younger and they loved to play at Sladden Park when there was a wading pool there in the summer. We lived up near Gilham Elementary and would ride our bikes down to Whiteaker - and this was when my youngest was about 3 years old - so if we can do that, surely grown people can walk across the bridge to go to the mall when they need to shop for... mall stuff.

Pickering likes to focus on the negative, but there's a lot of fun and good in the Whiteaker, too, and more coming. It's still very rough around its edges now, but it's not going to stay that way. They also have quite a few fun community gatherings and festivals throughout the year - especially during the warmer months.

Here's a more detailed map of the whiteaker neighborhood: http://www.eugene-or.gov/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_2_361529_0_0_18/whiteaker_1.pdf (broken link)

Here's a quick map of the area - you see the Valley River Center mall right across the river, very easy walk and even easier bike ride... (I just noticed the map doesn't show the pedestrian bridge that goes across the river, but I promise you it is there IRL... the bridge goes from the Marie Jacobs park straight to the mall...)

You've also got shopping at the 5th st market at 5th and high st (bottom right of above map)... Fifth Street Public Market :: Home

Here are some more links to shops and places of interest in or very nearby the whiteaker:

New Day Bakery

more links

smith's books

Center for Appropriate Transport

upstart crow studios

REI

ninkasi brewery

more info

PRI yum!

last friday artwalk

first friday artwalk

go to yelp and enter the whiteaker neighborhood in eugene oregon and you'll find more stuff...

maybe this link will work...

there's more... but half the fun of living in eugene is discovering the good stuff for yourself!

Last edited by haggardhouseelf; 05-08-2012 at 12:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area