U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 05:15 PM

1 posts, read 3,654 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We are moving back to Eugene after a long time away and thinking about renting a place in the Whitaker area. Is that a good idea?

Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 05:31 PM

8,000 posts, read 15,460,596 times
Depends. Are you an old or nuvo hippie or a drug addict?

Old 04-28-2012, 10:36 AM

15 posts, read 37,512 times
Default whiteaker neighborhood

we have a house in this neighborhood on a very nice street. i love the location for its proximity to the river park/path, the rose gardens, downtown/library etc. it's very pedestrian/cyclist friendly. we have had no problem with crime, and it's a long established area with many nice older houses, including a wonderful bed and breakfast just off the river bike path. you could stay there a night or two to see if you like the neighborhood.

Old 04-28-2012, 12:45 PM

The area is a long established counter culture neighborhood. Drugs have been a part of this community since the early 1960's. It has not changed.

Old 04-28-2012, 07:01 PM

1,592 posts, read 3,126,321 times
I think it is ok. Some parts are not bad at all, some are. If you have a specific area in mind that would help.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:01 PM

1208, your comments seem to be biased. Unless the OP is a Hippie, Nuevo Hippie, or doper, Whitaker is not for them or anyone else who is normal.

Old 04-29-2012, 12:23 AM

1,337 posts, read 2,937,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
1208, your comments seem to be biased. Unless the OP is a Hippie, Nuevo Hippie, or doper, Whitaker is not for them or anyone else who is normal.
I disagree. I Just visited Eugene for the first time this past week and I thought the Whiteaker was pretty normal, albeit counter culture/hippie/drop out. What's the harm in that, though? (comes down to perspective, really)

In fact, I'd go as far to say that the Whiteaker has some of the more interesting 'culture' in Eugene, imho. Plus, it's not like it's a huge area, anyway. Walk a block or two to the South and you're practically in the heart of down town.

Just walking around for a day I noticed a B&B, Coffeeshops, a Bakery, plenty of restaurants, etc.....it's actually pretty nice. Are there more drug users and/or odd people there? Sure, but that doesn't make a place inherently bad.

OP, go check it out like annimaver said. Stay at the B&B and see what you think. Might be what you're looking for....or the exact opposite.

Old 04-29-2012, 02:26 AM

1,592 posts, read 3,126,321 times
Quote:
I knew a couple there who I think you would get along with. Gun owners and good people. They lived in a nice part of the whit. I would say the area as a whole is about 50/50 nice and not nice.

Old 04-29-2012, 12:54 PM

Not all gun owners in Oregon are conservitives. Gun ownership is pretty much the norm except for the California transplants.

Kapetrich, my point exactly. Thanks for confirming what I said ...... "... ... I thought the Whiteaker was pretty normal, albeit counter culture/hippie/drop out. ... ..."

If you fit in those catagories or are addicted to drugs, you will like it. Otherwise you will be in for a rude awakening.

Old 04-29-2012, 01:09 PM

1,337 posts, read 2,937,523 times
Quote:
Kapetrich, my point exactly. Thanks for confirming what I said ...... "... ... I thought the Whiteaker was pretty normal, albeit counter culture/hippie/drop out. ... ..."

If you fit in those catagories or are addicted to drugs, you will like it. Otherwise you will be in for a rude awakening.
I enjoy the counter culture and am a pretty free thinker, but I'm a darn regular guy (enjoy capitalism-ish, wear 'standard' clothes, 'normal' hair, have a job, etc.) and wouldn't have a problem living there, on a nicer street. I saw lots of others like me, especially near the Ninkasi Brewery.

To each their own.

Quote:
Not all gun owners in Oregon are conservitives.
So true. It's the strangest thing to a NE transplant, too! Very interesting.

Quote:
Gun ownership is pretty much the norm except for the California transplants.
Not based on the statistics I've seen: Percent of Firearms Ownership by State (US Carry website, btw)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area