Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 03:21 PM

2 posts, read 3,933 times

Advertisements

My husband is entering a grad program at U of O this fall and we're having a hard time finding a place to live. We're coming all the way from NE Georgia, so we won't be able to visit before moving. I've never moved to a town sight unseen and it's a little nervewracking trying to find a home using only the internet. I could use some help. Here are my questions:

-Where can we find good leads for a rental? Craigslist seems inundated with ads for 3 apartment complexes and not much else.
-Is it hard to find a place that allows big dogs?
-Is there much breedism in Eugene? Our dogs are mystery mutts, but many people assume they are part pit bull.
- Which neighborhoods should we be looking at? We have an infant in addition to the dogs and prefer to drive as little as possible.

Any information would be a ton of help. It's pretty stressful to figure out a cross country move with a baby and pets without knowing what kind of place we're moving to.

ETA: we aren't afraid of "bad" neighborhoods. We live in a very diverse neighborhood right next to public housing. Our current neighborhood has occasional streetwalkers, crack dealers and break-ins, but we've never had a problem with any of them. Possibly because of our huge dogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 08:46 PM

122 posts, read 318,652 times
There are some unbelievably shady property management companies and slumlords here; every single person I know who moved into a place in this town sight unseen moved into a moldy hellhole. Can you possibly get a sublet from which you can look? I really, really do not recommend taking a place without checking it out first.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:05 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,366,717 times

Also in the Eugene/Springfield area they often want a fee for a background check. It is not uncommon for a rental to take maybe 50 applications for one rental, and only run half of them. They don't return the money. Good source of income. You need to be here to rent. There is no way you should rent sight unseen. And make them show you the Background check if they turn you down. Check the date to make sure they didn’t run it after you asked to see it. If they refuse, call the DOJ.

Old 04-23-2012, 02:55 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,069,858 times
I know it's a pain, but I recommend staying at a place like Crosslands extended stay for a week or two while you look around and find a place. Crosslands is in Springfield, you'll save money and we felt safe there with our two kids. It's not fancy or even nice by any means... it's a bit like a Motel 6... but they have great weekly rates and were really nice with us when we first moved here and were looking for our rental.

Our family has moved several times to different states where we didn't know a single soul or have any connections (for hubby's job), so I know what you're going through. It's tricky. But I totally agree with Stuck and Steve in their earlier posts - I really wouldn't deal exclusively online for rentals. I hear all the time about people getting scammed or set-up, or the place not being what they were led to believe it was.

You can put all your stuff in one of those rental storage places while you look.

Better to be safe than sorry.

That all being said... the Goodpasture Loop area near Valley River Center Mall has lots of condos and apartments and some allow dogs. It's a great area for walking and very safe and convenient for getting to the UofO as well. Rents are a little higher than other parts of town, but it's also one of the nicest parts of town. We have a giant 3 bedroom townhouse with large garage, large laundry room, huge patio, great big sunny kitchen, vaulted ceilings, two bathrooms, we have a really nice air conditioned gym with brand new elliptical and other workout equipment, a large pool, a tanning bed, sauna, bikes you can check out, free breakfasts once a month, clubhouse you can reserve for parties, etc... and we pay $1254/month. We know we could rent for less elsewhere but we like it here.

Over off of Willakenzie at Norkenzie and Minda area there are also apartments and condo's that are nice... a friend of mine just signed a lease for a condo over in that area - 3 bedrooms for $955/month 1400 sq. ft.!

Good luck!

Old 04-24-2012, 11:06 AM

1,204 posts, read 2,531,021 times
As another poster said, there are quite a few slumlord agencies here in the Eugene/Springfield area. Once such is Emerald Property Managment. We were moving from New Mexico back to Oregon and put hold money on a house in the Thurston area. I was assured it was a "really nice" house. We pulled up with our 27' Penske truck and were shocked. The house and yard were a mess. Mold growing in the bathroom. So please stay away from Emerald.

We did finally find a nice duplex in Springfield near the Gateway mall. The managment company was NORTHWOODS PROPERTY MANAGEMENT. They were great and the duplex accepted pets.

As far as areas to stay away from, the Hwy 99 area isn't that great from what I have heard. I have never personally lived in the area.

I hope this helps.

Old 04-25-2012, 02:41 PM

Mold grows in even the best bathrooms here. But I second EPM as a must avoid. Same with 99 area. The extended stay is a great choice and look for yourself. Don't depend on a for hire headhunter.

Old 04-26-2012, 03:05 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,531,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Mold grows in even the best bathrooms here. But I second EPM as a must avoid. Same with 99 area. The extended stay is a great choice and look for yourself. Don't depend on a for hire headhunter.
I understand about the mold, we lived in Cottage Grove for quite a few years before leaving and coming back. I guess the reason I said that was they didn't even try to clean it. It was growing up the walls, ick.. The previous renters left a bunch of garbage and that wasn't even cleaned. Also the floor right inside the larger bedroom was really soft and the carpets weren't even cleaned yet.

They did show us a few other places they had but they were all in really bad condition. Then they refused to give us our $500 hold deposit back stating we showed up one day early. I told them I had called and told them we were coming into town a day early, they told me no I didn't. It was crazy.

Just stay away from EPM, you will be much happier.

Old 04-26-2012, 03:35 PM

The DOJ would like to hear your story.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:40 PM

13 posts, read 44,037 times
Default you can do it

try and use craigslist and post a home wanted ad and watch daily the ads you can start feeling out the area. We just worked with craigslist came for a few days stayed at motel 6 for 50$ a night saw 3-4 properties and rented one on the spot. we move in next month. It can be done we are somewhat old and lazy but we got it done 2 days, 2 interviews and 4 properties and we rented a house by the lake with a yard, garden, there is a few nice houses on craigslist right now a beautiful red barn house in cottage grove. a country home in crow if you don't mind neighbors. You can do it just work alittle each day read these posts about hoods to avoid and do your best can find houses month to month from private landlords then move out if you don't like it. buck up and a little extra effort works, I am a sucess story! thanks to these guys and all their info. good luck

Old 04-28-2012, 11:47 AM

Very good suggestion. You will want to see what you rent in person. There are several $35.00 to $60.00 a night motels in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area