U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 03:47 AM

22,448 posts, read 29,943,304 times

Advertisements

Oakridge reminds me more of Eugene every day. The "woodsy, Oregon native types" have mostly moved away, retired or died. They're trying to make it a mountain biking "ride destination," so there's a lot of "it's all about community, man" types around. It's really rather unpleasant.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 08:37 AM

8 posts, read 8,342 times
And that is exactly the reason for our trip coming up, to see exactly what the 'fit' may be for us. I had an idea that outsiders would not be exactly welcomed 'with open arms' and I completely understand that. That seems to be a common trait in the smaller communities. Even in our city of 28K, we have our attitudes as well, depending on your place of origin. As for needing an electrician's license in Oregon? I am so not an electrician. My husband retired from (he's not an electrician either) and I am still employed in the mining industry. Just a couple of podunk countyfolk who like our peace and quiet. We currently live 'out in the sticks', as my daughter calls it. We are both active volunteer firefighters/first responders and members of the Carlsbad Black Powder Club. My husband also builds custom black powder rifles. We've been researching Mountain Man clubs in the central and southern parts of Oregon and are quite pleased with what we're seeing. And as long as there's someplace where he can do some flyfishing, we're good. And good to know that you have stores!! The picture I was painted by a recent first time visitor made it sound like progress just kind of jumped from Washington to California, bypassing Oregon completely...lol!!! I knew that couldn't be true. Anyhow, again, I do thank each of you for your input and welcome any more that may come. We look forward to seeing your beautiful state!

Old 07-03-2012, 10:05 AM

6,466 posts, read 12,255,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eveningstar05 View Post
My husband retired from (he's not an electrician either) and I am still employed in the mining industry.
The Bohemia Mining District is outside of Cottage Grove (about 15 miles south of Eugene,) up past Dorena Lake on Row Road (pronounced rowe as in "rowdy".) Some of the biggest gold strikes in the US were in that area. There are a couple of small owner run hard rock mines in that area that may be looking for someone with some experience to help operate machinery, open tunnels, etc. The Bohemia Miner's Association is a good place to start, they have a museum in downtown Cottage Grove (right next to a fairly decent BBQ place.)

If nothing else, I know of a couple of good gold dredges coming up on the market soon. That area in general is pretty nice, there are several historic covered bridges through there.

Old 07-03-2012, 02:07 PM

eveningstar, I don't think you'll find much of an "outsiders aren't welcome here" attitude in Oakridge. Maybe because it's hardly experiencing growing pains (people are moving out rather than in), there just doesn't seem to be that animosity.

I don't know if I'd call the community "strong," but that's subjective. It's an extremely divided community right now. It's been over a year since their financial nightmare became public knowledge, and things are still as bad. Instead of working together to get through it, they've spent all their time in the past year pointing fingers and shouting at each other. The mess really doesn't impact daily living, though.

I'm not in the real estate business, but there seems to be lots of places for sale, and rentals are plentiful and inexpensive. Lots of good fly fishing -- lots of black powder activities on the other side of the mountains.

Old 07-03-2012, 05:28 PM

231 posts, read 733,559 times
Eveningstar05: Just to be clear, the big stores mentioned previously are all in Eugene, not Oakridge. It's about a 55 minute drive. Once every two weeks would probably be OK though to load up on supplies. Of course, they also have a smaller grocery store in Oakridge.

Metlakatla: Thanks for the update on Oakridge community. But are you saying it is "unpleasant" now or what? I thought your comment was going one way and then was caught off guard by the last word.

Last edited by Mr Eugenified; 07-03-2012 at 05:30 PM.. Reason: always spelling mistakes...they only appear after I post the message...

Old 07-03-2012, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Eugenified View Post
Eveningstar05: Just to be clear, the big stores mentioned previously are all in Eugene, not Oakridge. It's about a 55 minute drive. Once every two weeks would probably be OK though to load up on supplies. Of course, they also have a smaller grocery store in Oakridge.

Metlakatla: Thanks for the update on Oakridge community. But are you saying it is "unpleasant" now or what? I thought your comment was going one way and then was caught off guard by the last word.
It's subjective, Mr. Eugenified. Yes, I find that aspect unpleasant, although it doesn't really define the community and most of the time is easily ignored. Others believe that it's the best thing about Oakridge.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 07-03-2012 at 06:17 PM..

Old 07-04-2012, 11:03 AM

6,061 posts, read 13,863,056 times
I thought Oakridge had a lot of flooding issues? We have friends that live there, and every winter/spring for the last few years their home has become an island at some point.

They talk as if most of the people who live in Oakridge are "rednecks"... They inherited their home and tried once to sell it but no one was buying in that area. They finally gave up and are just trying to make the best of it. They both work in Eugene and have to commute daily, which they don't like to do. Hubby and I think the drive is pretty but I guess if you had to do it every day it would get old after awhile. Not to mention the cost of gas...

Old 07-04-2012, 12:16 PM

It seems like there are for-sale signs on about a fourth of the houses here. Even rentals seem to sit empty for months.

I don't think that most of the areas have flooding issues; what your friends are experiencing is probably specific to their land -- must be in a micro-valley or something, or maybe close to the river. Even last winter where a lot of places in the valley were flooding, I don't know of anyone who was flooded out in Oakridge. I'm sure it's happened but it's not a big deal for most people.

One of the things about Oakridge is that you can -- for instance -- go to one of the local restaurants and feel that you're in deep "redneck" country. If you go to a place a five minute drive away, the clientele will make you think you're in Eugene. The pub and the bakery are both good places for those who want to escape the "redneck vibe." The bakery puts on a pretty good weekend breakfast and the pub has non-redneck stuff going on; your friends might try those places during their time off from work to see a different side of the place.

Old 07-04-2012, 05:38 PM

8 posts, read 8,342 times
I have checked out Cottage Grove and something about it veered me another direction. Can't remember what it was right now but I may go back and check into it again for the sake of fairness. And I appreciate the suggestion regarding the mining there, hamellr, but my husband and I are ready to leave the industry behind. He retired from mining a few years ago and I have a couple more years before I can join him. We're ready to spend some time in a quiet community. As far as all of the financial turmoil in Oakridge is concerned, it is quite a mess seen through the eyes of an 'outsider'. However, everything I've seen and researched from a distance tells me that Oakridge is a place ripe for transition. And I think there is a good enough blend of generations who can pull the town through this. Older folk for reason and stability and the younger generations for innovative ideas are what will eventually turn the place around. There is so much potential there just in the beauty of the area of your state! But I think all of the anger and finger-pointing are justified. 'Someone' dropped the ball with a substantial amount of funds and the citizens have a right to know what happened. They trusted an entity to maintain financial responsibility to the community and were blindsided by irresponsibility. I read the forensic auditor's report and it was very condemning, to say the least. Anyhow, I'm getting into something I have no business to be in as I have never even been to your state in general, much less Oakridge in particular. I'm just saying that there is enough small town atmosphere to be attractive and the availability of the larger chain stores in nearby cities balances a person's choice of location out very nicely, imo. Again, I appreciate all of the input!!

Old 07-04-2012, 11:40 PM

6,061 posts, read 13,863,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I don't think that most of the areas have flooding issues; what your friends are experiencing is probably specific to their land -- must be in a micro-valley or something, or maybe close to the river. Even last winter where a lot of places in the valley were flooding, I don't know of anyone who was flooded out in Oakridge. I'm sure it's happened but it's not a big deal for most people.
I think they did say that they have a natural spring on their property. You're probably right.

Thanks for the tip about the pub and bakery - hubby and I are always looking for new breakfast places to try, and like to go on weekend drives. We will have to ask them about the pub and bakery. I'm sure they know about them - one of them was born and raised there, their parents were, too.

Is Oakridge the town that was recently given lots of money by the anonymous benefactor as part of some reality TV show? Or am I confusing it with a different town?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area