U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2012, 11:29 AM

26 posts, read 74,862 times

Advertisements

I had the bright idea to hike to the top of Mt. Pisgah or Spencer's Butte to watch the fireworks from up high. Anyone ever done that? I know you can be at Spencer's after dark, but I'm not sure about Pisgah.

Thanks in advance!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 12:43 AM

6,061 posts, read 13,814,710 times
PK Park has the best fireworks on the fourth, IMO. Though I am home on this 4th of July - no fireworks for me this year!

I dunno about hiking the buttes after dark. There have been black bear and cougar sightings recently, ya' know. Personally, unless I was with a group, I wouldn't do it.

Old 07-07-2012, 12:32 PM

26 posts, read 74,862 times
Thanks for the info! I did not know there have been black bear sightings. That's a little unnerving! We didn't end up doing anything other than sitting in a friend's backyard around a fire, but that was good enough.

I called Pisgah, by the way. If anyone else is wondering, you cannot be there after dark. I have hiked Spencer's at night - I like to climb up and watch the sunset and then hike down. There's usually quite a few people up there doing the same thing. Flashlight is a must though! Those woods are dark.

Hope you had a lovely 4th. I saw the lines for PK park - figured the 'works must be good if the lines are that long! I think next year we might try Fern Ridge.

Old 07-07-2012, 10:17 PM

6,061 posts, read 13,814,710 times
We were so happy to hear that they were bringing fireworks on the fourth back to fern Ridge. That was the first show we saw when we first moved to Eugene, but then something happened and for a few fourths it seemed like they didn't have a show?

Light of Liberty in Springfield has a good show, too. The fireworks reflect off the water, it's really pretty. Do yourself a favor though -don't bring a bag. The line was crazy long to get in with bags because they had security checking every single bag - even purses. We were lucky and only brought what we could fit in our pockets - that line wasn't even a line, we basically walked right in. They had a band that was pretty good - they couldn't really do Beatles songs very well, but they did The Doors and The Stones covers really well! Also lots of food - I only had the Hawaiian shaved ice - yum!

Previous years we've gone to Dexter Lake which is also really good. It was put on by the volunteer fire dept. Beautiful fireworks and the sound is incredible as it reverberates off the surrounding hills - and you also have the reflective element of the lights off the lake.

We've also done some of the shows on the coast in past years. So far, though, I have to say PK Park has been the best. After the show, though, be prepared to have a picnic in your car or nearby - it takes forever to get everyone out of the parking lot, traffic was bad. We just pitched a blanket and relaxed and people watched until it cleared out. Also - when you buy your tickets... if you are sitting in the gen. admission area - try to get seats on the end. We made the mistake of getting seats in the middle of a row, and we were stuck for the whole game once everyone got seated. Those seats are small. If we do PK Park again we might try to get a spot in the picnic area or an area where you have a table to yourself or something... I'm not sure what other options you have, but we won't do seats in the middle of a row again! lol

Next year we're thinking about checking out the Art in the Vineyard at Alton Baker Park. We've avoided it so far because I always thought it would be kind of uppity or snooty, but a friend recently told me that it's really not like that. Sometimes I forget that I'm in Eugene!

Last edited by haggardhouseelf; 07-07-2012 at 10:25 PM..

Old 07-10-2012, 11:31 PM

1,592 posts, read 3,129,163 times
There is a lookout spot on the road near Pre's rock where you can easily see PK park, Waterfront Park in Springfield, and miscellaneous others around town.

Old 09-22-2012, 05:55 PM

8,000 posts, read 15,477,309 times
Plan early. Next year try Independence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area