U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2006, 04:26 PM

1 posts, read 12,429 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am getting really close to leaving Las Vegas. I've only been here a few months and can't stand the place. I've heard that Eugene is similar to the last green vale I came from which was Asheville NC. Many who have been through both cities said they shared the same boons and problems. Basically here is my query...well queries. Is Eugene a good place to live? What are the jobs there like? How much am I looking to pay for rent? What is the "scene" like? Is Eugene a better place to be than say Seattle, Wa or Portland, Or? Any responses would be most appreciated.
simply,
John
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2006, 07:35 PM

7 posts, read 45,892 times
Good jobs. Wife thought it was cute. Too many ppl for me but that's preferance

PS- I absolutly hated Vegas. What an armpit

Old 03-27-2006, 03:47 PM

3 posts, read 35,589 times
Interestingly, I am also considering a move from Asheville to Eugene. I can't really offer any information, but it looks like we were both sent the same way. I'd love to live in Asheville forever but there really aren't any jobs there for me - there may not be any in Eugene either but it's worth checking out I suppose. Good luck. --MFB

Old 03-28-2006, 02:43 PM

11 posts, read 83,069 times
Since the closing down of most of the timber industry, The job situation in Oregon isn't much better than anywhere else. I am an artist who prefers the solitude of the Oregon Desert to the city scene, but I have been all over Oregon and spent some time in every demographic.
I don't know if you are an artist, but the places in Oregon to share or view artistic works are located along I-5; Portland, Eugene, Grants Pass, Medford, and Ashland. Because these places are so accessable, prices tend to be higher in the trendier districts and much cheaper on "the other side of town". There are a lot of discount places to shop.
As far as work goes, there are jobs if you are willing to do them.
No city can be compared to another, because they are made of individuals and families that are constantly moving in and out of the area.
Because of the University Of Oregon, there are a large group of younger people in the Eugene area. Place to go nightclubbing, malls, football games, etc.
Hope this helps. The smartest thing to do is get involved, meet people.
Good luck,
Christine

Old 03-31-2006, 10:46 PM

45 posts, read 245,784 times
Default Be cautious about moving to Eugene

Here's the situation (and you can look at the stats to prove it): Because it is a college town (20,000 go to University of Oregon and 20,000 work there), you will be competing for jobs with a HUGE percentage that have college degrees. Unlike many areas, they request you have 5 years experience in nearly every job that exists here above minimum wage. Eugene/Springfield also has the highest unemployment in Oregon. Because of the numerous students, rent is high. At the top of my head, I remember some of the monthly rent for houses at $800+. There's no sales tax (which is a plus) but it rains around 275 days of the year (National Garden Book). That leaves you 90 days of sunshine here. Eugene/Springfield also is in the Willamette Valley. The Willamette Valley has the highest allergy count in the US. This means that if you have a tiny itsy-bitsy sniffle from hay fever (like I used to have) in some regular town, you will be verging on asthma in this area. Ask your doctor about this valley- he'll tell you about this problem. It is a concern. I say all this stuff knowing that I live here but there's truths that we need to understand and face the situation before moving. Sure, there's lots of events for you such as clubs and such but there's alot of negatives too. Higher crime in may spots then national average, higher pollution, higher unemployment, higher pollen count, and most especially: less sunny days. In the end, you have to trust your instincts. With this many people moving in and out each year (college students) don't think that you are rushing into an area that is a nice community. Too many new faces and too many trying to get by.

Old 04-02-2006, 06:55 PM

7 posts, read 45,892 times
Hmm, as long as yuo can beat out the average college student and throw your experience around you should have less trouble?

I had little problems landing potential job opprutunities. But of course it's not a deal until the paychecks are flowing

The allergy stats are an interesting angle tho. News to me. I assume the pollen count is listed somewhere in the city's demographics...

That's an interesting apsect to consider regardless of any new locale.

Old 04-04-2006, 11:11 PM

45 posts, read 245,784 times
This rings true. In May and June the grass allergens usually hit 400 (per cubic meter). That's disastrous for anybody that has allergies. "We are the grass seed capital of the world. The willamette Valley grows 90% of the grass seed for the country. The best thing he can do is leave the valley until after July 4th when the pollen counts will be nominal." (http://www.peacehealth.org/apps/Expe...sp?SubjectID=2)

The city vs. national.
Some college, or associate's degree 34.9% (US 27.4% )
Bachelor's degree 21.8% (US 15.5%)
Master's, professional or doctorate degree 15.4% (US 8.9%)

This shows there's a lot of competition since 1/7th of the population has a master's degree. College students can be well-qualified since they get work-study (often in the field of interest). My recommendation is to get the job before moving there. This city isn't as much of a central economy to the region. Portland smothers it so the city cannot increase as much as it claims for industrial and job-making practices. I've studied its economy enough to know better. Medford, on the other hand, is a silver mine if they could only get their traffic system working better. I know so many people that are trying to find jobs in Eugene living in Eugene that have years of experience. They continually complain that their competitors are just as qualified as themselves.

Old 05-10-2006, 09:26 AM

2 posts, read 15,903 times
QuintisCinna is not quite correct in his assessment of Eugene. First of all, Oregon has a state-of-the-art crime reporting system which makes it seems as if it has a higher crime rate than other places which don't report most of
their crime statistics. Eugene has an extremely low crime rate. Weatherwise,
Eugene has 137 days of rain per year (weather service climate data) and
is predominantly sunny from May through September and even well into
October at times. I lived there and graduated from UO. It's a good place to
live, though unemployment is high and there aren't many large companies there.

Old 05-16-2006, 01:34 AM

75 posts, read 438,031 times
Eugene is flat-out beautiful in my opinion, very green and lush, every type of terrain you could want ... which is why people come and nobody leaves. Consequently jobs are hard to come by because openings are rare. As mentioned, few major businesses and the city doesn't have the over-development of many desireable places - good for the environment but bad for the economy. I remember reading that a UO economist recently said the effective unemployment rate, i.e. including those who have been out of work for more than six months and those who have stopped looking (people the govt. don't count), is something like 17 percent. Really tough to find work, even low-end jobs are traditionally filled by college students and newcomers are not well received in employment circles. Supposedly a "hippie" town but looks more like disenfranchised youth to me - you'll be asked for "spare change" all over town by what look like suburan-excommunicated youth. Homeless population significant, many of whom appear to be the real hippies, i.e. burn-outs from the drug scene - you'll see some Aqualung-looking dude talking wildly to himself a mile a minute just about every day - don't make eye contact. Downtown is sedate, not a lot of nightlife outside college bars, but some alt music at WOW Hall and MacDonald Theater, the latter run by the Kesey family, although the lineup is somewhat repetitive with regional groups. The quasi-hippie-ish Eugene Country Fair, a music and crafts fest in the woods formerly heavy with drugs and nudity, ain't what it used to be as undercover cops have been prevalent in recent years and the emphasis has shifted somewhat to a family vibe. Saturday Market is a major weekly social gathering with good fresh organic produce grown locally and the ganja crowd across the street marketing their wares. In general, a liberal town with a laid-back vibe not really as radical as it's image - I found Madison, Wis., to be more activist. In Eugene, the anarchists party at home and only come out when there's a reason to. Also lots of bike paths here, you don't really need a car and motorheads aren't as prevalent as in most US cities. Just don't expect to find a job unless you have unique qualifications or know someone. Depending on the the area, rents are cheaper than most West Coast towns, I'd say $600-$800 for a 2 bdroom apt. or $900 for a small 3 bdrm house. Summer a good time to find deals after students leave. By the way, Eugene has the best bus system I've ever seen, by far. Portland is a much more vibrant scene, job-wise, music and art scene-wise, just about every way-wise. Also has a great bus system. It is a big, spread-out city but has great neighborhoods. A much easier nut to crack than Eugene, IMO.

Last edited by buzzkirk; 05-16-2006 at 01:45 AM..

Old 05-16-2006, 02:18 AM

43 posts, read 329,596 times
I live, work, play, and go to school in Eugene. I really like it. I highly suggest checking out our wonderful and unique city!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area