U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2012, 06:51 PM

6 posts, read 14,170 times

Advertisements

Greetings,

I am looking to relocate my family and solar manufacturing business, and have recently started looking towards the Roseburg area.

My family and I stopped for dinner in Roseburg once ( a few years ago) and really liked the rolling hills and trees, it somewhat reminded us of home but with more convenience.

We have lived in the hills of Humboldt/Mendocino area (northern California) for the last 10 years. What we like best here are the small towns, the big redwoods, rolling green hills and being very close to the mountains and ocean. What we do not like are the terrible schools, all the marijuana growers and the dangers they bring, high food & gas prices. Gas is currently $4.49 a gallon and has been that way for a long time.

We are looking for a nice place to raise our two young children, so good schools that are not over crowded is a must. We like privacy (a few acres or small homestead) for a place to live, but close to town that is affordable (not CA prices) and doesn't make you feel like a hermit.

I am also looking for a good place to relocate my small manufacturing business that currently employees 4 people. I will need an affordable warehouse location near I-5 for freight cost convenience and a place where I can find reliable help.

To sum it all up, looking for a paradise, at a reasonable price

Anyone who lives or lived in Roseburg or the surrounding areas such as Glide, Green, Sutherlin, LookingGlass, please help by providing your comments and thoughts.

I am also up for other places that others might think are suitable for our conditions. Being closer to the ocean is always a plus.

Many Thanks in advance
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 08:42 PM

6,466 posts, read 12,463,289 times
From a freight standpoint, you'll need to ship everything from Portland or San Francisco. How big of a warehouse do you need? Do your employees need specialized skills?

Old 09-18-2012, 09:07 PM

That is not true, our company has been based out of Redway California (the birth of solar in the US) for the last three years. Redway is off HWY 101 ( 4hours north of SF), out in the middle of nowhere...and we have grown from a one person operation helping out local solar installers; to putting our product in the largest solar distributors in the country. We have products in RV kits for Costco and Home Depot, and recently had our cables installed on the Sears Tower.

I require a warehouse that can at least be 1200 sq ft or more, then offices. A loading dock is a plus. Employees do not need specialized skills other than common sense, some computer experience, and succeed in production type atmosphere.

I am really after info on Roseburg and its surrounding areas....

Where is a nice place to live if one likes the country setting with nearby town conveniences?

Where are the great elementary and middle schools at?

I have been told Glide, Or is my best bet so far???

Sunny Regards,

Old 09-19-2012, 12:58 PM

8,000 posts, read 15,846,184 times
Sorry but Roseburg and good schools do not go together in the same sentence.

Dallas also has some great properties for your business. One is turn-key and the lease is great. The locals are more Tech Savey.

(I am thinking of the Tyco Building, and the Mill Property has some large buildings that could be purchased for a song.)

Old 09-19-2012, 10:29 PM

15,296 posts, read 15,363,514 times
Glide is on the North Umpqua, which is one of the finest trout rivers in the USA. There are several miles of fly fishing only, barb-less hook reserve. The natural beauty of the North Umpqua is phenomenal, and just upriver is Diamond Lake, which is stocked with trophy sized rainbows. That means the area is pretty high rent, though I have friends who bought Little River (tributary) frontage for a very reasonable price as a short sale in lieu of foreclosure. The Glide school district is talking about closing the middle school because of declining enrollment.

Roseburg high school is the largest high school in the state. They should really split it up, but they don't want to because it would mess up their championship football team. Friday Night Lights in Southern Oregon. A very small percentage of students actually get a chance to play.

South Douglas High in Winston has an excellent music program. Their band just won the state championship in their class, and they have multiple bands and choirs for students to join. Academically they seem to do pretty well too.

The rural life is why people live in Douglas County. Roseburg has a population of a little over 20,000, except 8-5 M-F, when the population is about 50,000. Most people in the area live outside of town and just drive into town to work.

Old 09-20-2012, 01:05 PM

The phrase "In their class" is important to note.

Old 09-22-2012, 09:37 AM

We really like the Melrose area....can you recommend other areas outside the roseburg area that are similar? we are on our way to glide this afternoon. we prefer to live outside the "city"

Old 09-22-2012, 12:17 PM

231 posts, read 739,839 times
Why not live in the county areas outside of Eugene? It's not very expensive by California standards, plenty of privacy, but still only a 30 minute drive (or less) to Eugene.

In Eugene, you have plenty of useful retail that a small town would not have, plus it would probably be a good location for your small business.

Schools are having tough budget issues in Eugene, but that's true anywhere in Oregon (and other states). If you're a good parent, I think the schools in Eugene will be fine (i.e. parental influence/attention is probably the biggest success factor for most kids).

Old 09-22-2012, 01:37 PM

I think they want more sun, and Roseburg has milder winters and warmer summers.

Old 09-22-2012, 02:54 PM

15,296 posts, read 15,363,514 times
The Garden Valley/Melrose area is better watered than most because of the river. Generally there are good wells. Water can be a problem in Douglas County. In my area, if you drill deep enough to hit water you get salt water, so our well is a shallow well. It's currently dry, so every 2 weeks we call for a $70 water delivery. The truck brings 1800 gallons, and I have a 2500 gallon cistern, which leaves us with a cushion. There's not enough water for a garden, but an orchard does fine.

In the Melrose area there would be plenty of water, and many other areas have potable deep wells. It's just a consideration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area